Talk

Advanced search

Anniversary plans HELP

(8 Posts)
pinkpaws Mon 10-Mar-14 13:04:40

Had to post to ask all out there a question. I need to know when our special days or moments in life became the property of the collective mass ie our so called family and friends. My wedding anniversary is coming up DH and i dont get to spend much time alone work patterns and lack of child care ect. My less than supportive parents are going to take my dc overnight (THIS IS UNPRECEDENTED) the idea being to let us go out. Here is the problem we DONT WANT TO GO OUT. We want to spend the night alone and child free in our own home. However no one seems to get it i have lost tract of the amount of times i have had to explain myself and tell people why we dont want to go bloody out. It would appear we are just not making the most of this fab opportunity so i have been told. My mother even likes to tell me how important it is to out together as a couple and we should make more of an effort. She has no sense of irony. So i would like to know do others have this problem of ownership over their own time, special moments in life or have yours like mine being hijacked by the moral majority.

squeakytoy Mon 10-Mar-14 13:07:05

So why do you not want to go out and have a social life then?

You sound very angry.

natwebb79 Mon 10-Mar-14 13:09:47

I can see why that would get annoying for you. There is something bloody wonderful about enjoying your own home kid free once in a while and frankly it should be up to you what you choose to do with the time. I'd just say you went to a lovely restaurant to shut them up and stay at home snuggled on the sofa with nice food and a film instead. grin

natwebb79 Mon 10-Mar-14 13:10:23

squeakytoy - why should she have to go out to have a nice romantic time with her husband??

ILoveWooly Mon 10-Mar-14 13:13:45

I love a child free night at home... carpet picnic, wine and sex wherever you wish!

pinkpaws Mon 10-Mar-14 13:15:42

Not angry so much as frustrated . Should be our choice and we dont want to go out because we want to stay in alone together with no children . Just no sure when it became ok to refuse to accept others choices. Drives me mad.

DoJo Mon 10-Mar-14 13:41:31

I think you are sharing too much with people who aren't on your wavelength. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people who would know about my anniversary plans, and if I thought any of them would venture a negative opinion then I just wouldn't tell them. I understand that it's annoying, but you could save yourself the stress by just keeping schtum.

Eatriskier Mon 10-Mar-14 14:18:55

If it were me, and the parents are taking the kids away, I would just lie and tell them that we are going for a nice meal out at a swanky restaurant. Then, as soon as the kids are collected/dropped off, I'd be back at home in my PJs enjoying my anniversary the way I wanted to. And if the parents are the sort to call and check I'd say DH was arranging as a surprise and tell DH to say 'oh I'm not telling, I want it to be a complete surprise to pink'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now