Talk

Advanced search

to expect quite at 4am on a Sunday?

(11 Posts)
citruslemon Sun 09-Mar-14 22:57:05

Got awoken at 4am Sunday morning by LOUD noises. Jumped outta bed to see 4 council workers with a truck that had a crane attached. The crane was being use to repeatedly hit the old street lamp post outside my house that has been replaced by a horrible new LED lamp post. This was their way of getting the lamppost out of the ground :/
Was hoping to open my window to shout at them but realised they were all wearing ear protectors!! As single woman home alone I didn't want to go outside and talk to them at time of day. After making a racket for half an hour they went. AIBU to expect quiet at 4am on a Sunday & should I complain?

IneedAwittierNickname Sun 09-Mar-14 22:59:33

Yanbu to expect quiet at 4am any day of the week!.

mymiraclebubba Sun 09-Mar-14 23:01:14

Yanbu complaint in order!!

HeartShapedBox Sun 09-Mar-14 23:01:40

I'd complain, that's ridiculous!

rumbleinthrjungle Mon 10-Mar-14 10:10:01

Definite complaint! I'd be staggered if that was with the council's knowledge and agreement at that hour by residential buildings!

Although apparently wanting quiet at 4am is ridiculously old fashioned according to my neighbour who was running around her garden at that hour this weekend shrieking "Yoo hoo! Boring people!"

Oh the irony.

Shonajoy Mon 10-Mar-14 10:35:47

They did similar in our street (we overlook a very leafy railway) ans started cutting trees down with chainsaws, and then chipping them which made a hell of a racket.

I put my dressing gown on and marched over to be told we had all had letters, and they didn't give a shit really. I complained to the council and we now do get letters of planned nocturnal work.

PunkrockerGirl Mon 10-Mar-14 10:48:47

YANBU! I would definitely complain. It's very unfair on people who have to get up early for work or those who have children trying to sleep. Unfair to everyone really.in

MrsCosmopilite Mon 10-Mar-14 10:54:25

Definitely complain. Generally councils have rules on noise control and would be investigating people making unreasonable noise between 10/11pm and 7am.

Gileswithachainsaw Mon 10-Mar-14 10:59:46

shock that's disgusting no way should they be doing it at that time. Wtf

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 10-Mar-14 11:27:59

Reminds me of friend up north recently phoning council on a Monday morning.

"I am calling to let you know one of your diggers has been stolen".

Consternation at end of phone, how do you know etc.

"Surely only joyriders would be so stupid as to drive through X (location) at 7 am on a Sunday and tear down Y (local eyesore) before 8 am?"

Complete coincidence they wanted to knock off early to watch the rugby.

DizzyBlonde80 Mon 10-Mar-14 11:59:54

YANBU. I was woken at half 3 this morning by some blokes trying to mend a burst pipe in our road. They obviously wanted everyone else to be awake with them because they kept ringing other people up using the cab phone, on loud speaker, with both doors wide open!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now