Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed when people keep trying to off load stuff onto you

(13 Posts)
buffythebarbieslayer Fri 07-Mar-14 19:59:50

We've just got ourselves decluttered after moving but people keep trying to give us stuff we don't need.

ILs are moving and keep turning up with bags of stuff we don't need. I'm pregnant and friends keep trying to off load baby stuff we don't need.

I wouldn't dream of dumping stuff on people. I might offer but wait until they say yes.

gamerchick Fri 07-Mar-14 20:02:37

Straight to the charity shop without opening.

My ex SIL used to leave piles of stuff on my frigging door step. Odd stuff like boots 3 sizes too big all worn down in the sole.. phones that were broken and portable tellys hmm

I just chucked without comment.

Mrswellyboot Fri 07-Mar-14 20:02:51

I spent all summer decluttering in the weeks before baby arrived YANBU at all. I would just say that you don't need anything right now and thank them. I didn't take anything from anyone until I knew we definitely needed it (like bouncer and Moses basket - we were glad of these)

You will get lots of presents too so it all has to squeeze in and then you will get stressed trying to keep any order.

Beamur Fri 07-Mar-14 20:03:11

YABa bitU. People presumably think they're doing something nice for you. Pass it on to someone else/charty shop if yiu don't want it.

Mrswellyboot Fri 07-Mar-14 20:04:43

Go around to ILs with all the excess and say you have lots already so this much left over and don't need anymore. grin

I'm not even joking!

Ledare Fri 07-Mar-14 20:07:01

I have a relative who has smoked 100 a day indoors for forty years who keeps giving things to DD.

They have a 3-bed with nobody but themselves in it. We have two DC.

De-clutter all you like, but not at our expense <seethe>

DameFanny Fri 07-Mar-14 20:07:14

Mil's stopped bringing furniture round she didn't want anymore. She is however still offended that we'd passed on a sofa she didn't want and refused to ask for it back when she changed her mind 3 years later hmm

ashtrayheart Fri 07-Mar-14 20:11:38

Dp's mum is always giving us crap stuff. Once it was a massive box full of half used body lotion etc hmm I had to wash out each one and chucked the lot in the recycling bin!

harriet247 Fri 07-Mar-14 20:11:46

Argh exmil uaed to do this. Drove me batshit crazy.

buffythebarbieslayer Fri 07-Mar-14 20:57:15

It is driving me batshit crazy!

Think I'm just going to start giving it to charity

SecretWitch Fri 07-Mar-14 21:04:01

Dear God, both my mum and my MIL do this! So tired of having bags of junk foisted upon us. Actually, mum usually has things we can use..MIL tends towards lots of paper clips, headbands, stationary with her name on it...goes right into the bin...

Meepers Fri 07-Mar-14 21:07:28

YANBU there is a difference between people being genuinely nice and people who can't be arse with a trip to the tip or hiring a skip.

My ExSil did this all the damn time. Never asked, just turned up with well, shite if I'm perfectly honest. The last time it was a broken scooter. I ask you, who the hell would ever want a broken scooter?

be braver than me just say thanks but no thanks.

Meepers Fri 07-Mar-14 21:10:10

Sorry that should of said does not did. I fear it's never going to stop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now