Advanced search

To think WTF?! Do I really have to pay £18 a month to insure my LL's cooker?

(38 Posts)
SackAndCrack Fri 07-Mar-14 19:45:13

Im so pissed off.

In fact Im only mildy pissed off. Im very tired of the hurdles an agency is making me jump over to simply live in a simple flat.

The latest being that I have to sign the tenancy agreement. Behind it is a thick form for contents insurance. It insures mine and my LL's contents.

I already have contents insurance which I intended to carry over, and the LL has NO contents except a cooker.

So I have to pay £18 a month to insure their fucking cooker?

Its a SHIT cooker too. I was planning on getting a better one.

Seems I have no choice, its written in my, currently unsigned, contract.

Ive handed my notice in for this place, I told them its definitely happening now, Im supposed to get the keys on Monday, and they totally neglected to tell me about this.

I know its only £18 a month but Ive already got the cheapest possible property in town which us beyond my means, Im moving out of this place because of an increase of rent. I was supposed to pay X amount each month with my own far cheaper contents insurance. And now they are adding this on.

trufflehunterthebadger Fri 07-Mar-14 19:47:18

£216 per annum to insure a cheap cooker ? Is it paid direct to the LL by any small chance ?

Tell them to take a running jump. The landlord is responsible for insuring their white goods and for keeping them in a decent condition (we are LLs)

thornrose Fri 07-Mar-14 19:48:13

That's bloody outrageous, I pay less than £18 to insure the entire contents of my 2 bed flat!

trufflehunterthebadger Fri 07-Mar-14 19:49:04

i would be interested to see how they justify £18 per monthas this insurance is £19 per annum

SackAndCrack Fri 07-Mar-14 19:57:56

It says £202 per annum, £18 a month.

I fear they will tell me to pay or bugger off.

I pay £5 a month to insure every one of my belongings.

I appreciate that this covers my stuff too, but Im big enough and ugly enough to make that decision myself.

This agency is the worst agency Ive ever had to deal with.
Ive actually been very lucky with agencies all these years. I guess Im due a terrible one.

NeverFinishWhatYouStarted Fri 07-Mar-14 20:07:16

Can you legally insure something that doesn't belong to you?

trufflehunterthebadger Fri 07-Mar-14 20:08:38

Why are you going ahead with an awful agency ? You're just storing up trouble for yourself.
I'd threaten to pull out, have you paid anything yet ? I suspect they won't want to lose a tenant and put the property back out on the market and lose rent.

OnIlkelyMoorBahtat Fri 07-Mar-14 20:12:24

I'm another one who thinks you can't take out insurance on something that doesn't belong to you.

Even if you can, I'd definitely ask them to show you "proof" of this insurance, the paperwork etc.

Actually, I wouldn't bother, I'd tell them to do one, I think someone is chancing their arm here...

strawberrypenguin Fri 07-Mar-14 20:12:40

That's not right. The LL is responsible for maintenance of fixtures and fittings and is therefore responsible for the cooker not you (also does mean you can't replace it)

Catkinsthecatinthehat Fri 07-Mar-14 20:14:48

I'm not sure if any insurance you pay is valid as you have no 'insurable interest' in another person's goods. You don't own the cooker, and I assume you don't have a contractual responsibility for it. It's counted as the landlord's chattels.

90sthrowback Fri 07-Mar-14 20:17:43

That doesn't sound right.

Do question it with them, most contents insurance will cover a tenant if they damage landlords property.

Rauma Fri 07-Mar-14 20:18:55

You have a choice, get the contract changed.

ShoeWhore Fri 07-Mar-14 20:18:55

This really doesn't sound right OP.

Cigarettesandsmirnoff Fri 07-Mar-14 20:20:45

Back out now op

SometimesLonely Fri 07-Mar-14 20:20:54

Can you really get rid of your Landlord's cooker and replace it? It's not yours to get rid of is it? And if you do replace it, you would not be able to take your new one away when you move out.

Damnautocorrect Fri 07-Mar-14 20:21:48

I thought you had to sign to say you had contents cover on the understanding ll has building only. This sounds a whole new bull shit scheme agents are using to make money.

SackAndCrack Fri 07-Mar-14 20:26:00

I will happily sign the contract saying I have my own contents insurance as this is already happening.

I had no idea that an agency could force you to have contents insurance on your own contents.

Im very confused, this has never happened before. Im seeing them tomorrow anyway and will ask.

NearTheWindymill Fri 07-Mar-14 20:27:46

When you say there's nothing in the flat - curtains? carpets? doors? some kitchen furniture is debateable whether covered by buildings/contents insurance? If any of those things were damaged you would be expected to cover the cost. Why don't you see if you can get the cover cheaper and if so offer to pay the equivalent of that.

bochead Fri 07-Mar-14 20:29:11

Tell em it's cheaper to rent one from Brighthouse wink

SavoyCabbage Fri 07-Mar-14 20:30:29

I agree with sometimes. You can't get rid of the cooker and get your own so that the ll has no cooker. You shouldn't have to insure their things though.

snakeandpygmy Fri 07-Mar-14 20:32:56

Almost certainly an unfair contract term - which means it won't be enforceable - the OFT has guidance leaflets which you should be able to find online. Google OFT 381

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 07-Mar-14 20:39:34

The cooker is not your responsibility. Apart from looking after it.

kim147 Fri 07-Mar-14 20:42:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

specialsubject Fri 07-Mar-14 20:50:25

this comes under the 'unenforceable contract terms' thing. You can't insure it, it doesn't belong to you. Tell them where to go. They don't want you to not rent the place, empty properties cost money.

your insurance covers your contents, and you may want to get an accidental damage clause to protect your deposit if you accidentally damage carpets etc. But you don't have to.

what does the landlord say?

if you want the cooker removed, negotiate that. You can't get rid of landlord property.

trufflehunterthebadger Fri 07-Mar-14 20:51:49

nearthewindymill, we are LLs. We are also tenants. The LLs property in our house (carpets, curtains, cooker, wood burner etc) are not covered under our household contents, neither are the contents in our mortgaged property

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: