Talk

Advanced search

to think we have sold out for nothing

(11 Posts)
AgaPanthers Fri 07-Mar-14 17:36:16

NYT article: www.nytimes.com/2014/03/08/opinion/londons-laundry-business.html

Nicely cutting.

"Britain thinks of itself as a trading nation, open for business, but it no longer has a “mission.” Any moralizing remnant of the British Empire is gone; it has turned back to the pirate England of Sir Walter Raleigh.

Britain’s ruling class has decayed not just to the point where Mr. Cameron is considered a man of exceptional talent, but to where its first priority is protecting its percentage on Russian money — even as Russian armored personnel carriers rumble around the streets of Sevastopol."

Venal and corrupt.

What a shitty bunch of cunts we have in charge.

I wonder if Cameron will enrich himself as thoroughly with blood money as Bliar has done. Or maybe he's too already-rich-and-thick, a useful fucking idiot, to care.

We don't seem to be getting any benefit from this. The very richest have added some billions to their total. But do they even notice? How about the rest of us? We are poorer in real terms than a decade ago. www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-26368388

And that's if you accept the lie of the inflationary measures, which ignore most real inflation in things like housing costs (which have been driven up benefiting only the very richest). www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/inflation-the-fraud-at-the-heart-of-our-economy-that-is-destroying-the-middle-class-9171059.html

When does it end? Why are our politicians such a bunch of venal vampires?

grovel Fri 07-Mar-14 18:09:18

Don't get cross, get drunk. It's after 6.

ProfondoRosso Fri 07-Mar-14 18:12:03

Britain’s ruling class has decayed not just to the point where Mr. Cameron is considered a man of exceptional talent

I don't know ANYONE who thinks that. Agree with you though, Aga. They are a vile bunch - the most transparently amoral in my recent memory.

AgaPanthers Fri 07-Mar-14 18:15:03

Profondo, he was considered talented enough to lead the Tories, who are to a large degree 'the ruling class'.

Good idea on the drunkenness.

Will start on the Grand Marnier I think.

Jess03 Fri 07-Mar-14 18:20:25

When I saw the leak about Russian money and the sanctions I also thought that this sort of leak was exactly the sort of thing damaging to the national interest that would have been (rightly in my view) suppressed years ago. It didn't do Britain any good to have our bottom line, i.e. that they can do what they like in Ukraine, revealed. So I guess my point is our media is vile, not just our pols. WSJ, NYT and New Yorker have much finer reporting than our papers.

AgaPanthers Fri 07-Mar-14 18:22:44

I don't think the Russians need to read a newspaper to figure out they can do what they like and we won't stop them.

Jess03 Fri 07-Mar-14 18:27:58

Well it didn't help to have it confirmed in a govt paper, Putin couldn't have been certain and he does have proof now, making our diplomacy a joke.

MamaMary Fri 07-Mar-14 18:36:01

I think that article by Ben Judah is quite spiteful, tbh. So Britain has 'betrayed' the United States?

He has a point about Blair. But the US is whiter than white, I suppose?

FannyFifer Fri 07-Mar-14 18:39:56

Hope Scotland votes YES in September,a new progressive country will hopefully initiate change in rUK.

AgaPanthers Fri 07-Mar-14 18:47:42

Ben Judah doesn't sound very American, MamaMary:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZMcTXXG8NI

MamaMary Fri 07-Mar-14 18:50:10

True, he must be British then. And very young!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now