Talk

Advanced search

To think teacher shouldn't be giving kids sweets and coke in school

(22 Posts)
buffythebarbieslayer Fri 07-Mar-14 17:27:22

Every Friday my ds teacher has started letting the class watch a DVD and have a treat.

Sometimes it's sweets or a drink of coke.

I'm not sure I'm happy with this. It's not so much the health implications but rather I used to let my dc have a treat and screen time after school on a Friday. I'm tired by then (especially as pregnant) and we quite enjoy snuggling up with some treats etc.

Finola1step Fri 07-Mar-14 17:34:52

How old is your ds?

In my experience, the curriculum for primary is so packed, there is very little time for "treats" in the timetable. 30 minutes of Gikden Time maybe, but time for a while DVD? Every week?

The teacher shouldn't be handing out sweets each week. Coke is a no no in most schools. In my school DVDs and treats are really only for end if term. Not weekly.

Is the class a bit "tricky"? The

pussycatdoll Fri 07-Mar-14 17:36:27

Golden Time doesn't involve edible stuff in my school

Finola1step Fri 07-Mar-14 17:36:38

Oops. Posted too soon.

It might be a "tricky" class and the teacher is trying every trick in the book to keep them on task and focused.

Supercosy Fri 07-Mar-14 17:37:29

Every Friday? That's ridiculous. Yanbu at all.

Finola1step Fri 07-Mar-14 17:37:35

Golden Time not Gikden!

noblegiraffe Fri 07-Mar-14 17:39:25

How long a DVD and what sort of thing?

I'd be pissed off at the coke, while I don't mind the odd sweet (although every week is a bit much), filling children up with caffeinated drinks is completely unacceptable.

Finola1step Fri 07-Mar-14 17:39:36

Yes same here Pussycatdoll.

Extra computer time, games, arts and crafts, outdoor games - all standard Golden Time activities. Sweets and Coke - not on my watch!

Sianilaa Fri 07-Mar-14 17:40:46

YANBU. They shouldn't be watching a DVD every week (end of term, fine...) and I'd go nuts if a teacher gave my child coke.

vestandknickers Fri 07-Mar-14 17:44:18

Every week is terrible. Last day before holidays is a nice treat, but even then I'd be furious if my children were offered coke.

Floggingmolly Fri 07-Mar-14 17:45:33

How old is your child? I'd suspect a bit of wishful thinking, tbh, especially in regards to the coke... Very unlikely.

Sirzy Fri 07-Mar-14 17:49:21

Sweets is ok occassionally but coke should be a no no in school

phantomnamechanger Fri 07-Mar-14 17:51:50

when DD was in yr 6 they had a week (once SATS were all finished)of planning businesses to fundraise for toilets in the developing world. They had to design logos/slogans etc and think about products, labour, profit etc. Then every playtime for a week they had their stalls on the playground selling -
coke, lemonade, candy floss, donuts, muffins, brownies, cookies, popcorn and jelly!!! This is usually a "fruit only for snack time and no fizzy drinks or sweets in lunches" school. I would not have wanted to be teaching those kids after that sugar binge! OK they raised loads of money for latrines and I don't know what the answer is - fruit and juice stalls would not have had the same attraction, I dare say.

Our classes get to choose their own treat (usually about one a term) but they cant have the same thing twice, so they've had a pyjama party, DVD & popcorn, computer games, extra golden time - they cant just have food/sugar based treats. It sounds like the OPs teacher is maybe trying to be popular. Maybe they have a difficult class who will only respond to this sort of bribery?

chocolatemademefat Fri 07-Mar-14 18:06:58

Sweets EVERY week? My god - alert the sweetie police - I doubt it amounts to much if she's catering for a whole class. Don't agree with the coke though - but doubt its more than wishful thinking - what teacher could be bothered clearing up cups/cans for a whole class at the end of the day.
I know sugar's not good in large amounts but find the kids denied it are the greedy ones when sweets are produced. I must be a crap mum to let my kids have a few sweets. Strangely they're still alive and healthy.

fuzzpig Fri 07-Mar-14 18:13:25

I would be peeved about the coke TBH

HadABadDay2014 Fri 07-Mar-14 18:19:25

You are acting like it coke the drug.

One small cup a week is fine.

Why are parents, aunties, uncles, grandparent are ok to give a child a sweet treat, but not for a teacher.

silverskates Fri 07-Mar-14 18:21:08

Well, I run a revision session after school Fridays and provide coke and crisps/snacks - it's the only way to get them coming. I am guessing your DS is primary aged though.

SeaSickSal Fri 07-Mar-14 18:25:56

Can people not read?

They have treat time every week. It is not sweets and coke every week, it is 'sometimes' sweets.

I can understand objecting to the coke, but I don't think childen having sweets occasionally in school is a big deal. Especially if it's not the health implications and it's just wanting the teacher to fit in with the plans of an individual family.

notso Fri 07-Mar-14 18:41:27

It wouldn't bother me, it's not even once a week.

AlanAlanAlAl Fri 07-Mar-14 18:45:25

If you are really concerned ask to see the school food policy. However I think you need to be prepared that the film, sweets, fizzy session will be stopped as really they can only be justified in exceptional circumstances

Finola1step Fri 07-Mar-14 22:15:08

Any chance of an update OP?

Dinosaursareextinct Fri 07-Mar-14 22:17:50

Sounds as though the teacher wants a nice break from teaching every week. Totally unacceptable. Complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now