Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think Kate was primed to be part of royalty since she was born?

(16 Posts)
YummyMummybee Fri 07-Mar-14 10:16:06

I read an an article about Kate & Pippa's childhood & tbh felt ridiculously jealous, sounded so idyllic & got me thinking of my ownsad They seemed loved unconditionally, so secure, had lots of outdoorsy adventures with her parents & siblings, baking, arts & crafts at home etc. Her parents even though not v rich at the time afforded the v best they could have afforded for their children. Did her childhood give her the confidence to mix in the highest social cirles or did her parents push her up there????

Sovaysovay Fri 07-Mar-14 10:18:41

The article isn't going to talk about how one was a difficult potty trainer and used to wipe it on the walls, or how they had door-slamming tantrums and bad table manners.

Magazine articles exist to sell you the products on the ad pages. Baking at home didn't get her to university nor form the basis of her relationship.

meditrina Fri 07-Mar-14 10:25:09

It sounds like her family is normal and typical.

Giving your children as much time and as many opportunities as you can is what most people do, isn't it?

As the family business prospered, this expanded to private schools etc, where I should imagine they were also normal and typical.

squoosh Fri 07-Mar-14 11:24:05

Listen to Sovaysovay, no point trying to compare your childhood to a description of Kate Middleton's that you read in a magazine. 70% probably comes straight from the journalists's imagination. No family is perfect, no childhood is without its sad moments.

As far as was she primed from royalty since she was born, I sincerely doubt it.

angelos02 Fri 07-Mar-14 11:26:15

She was bullied at school so not all idyllic.

Based on what you have just said her childhood sounds very similar to mine.....I wonder if my parents were disappointed I married a builder and not a prince!

I thought unconditional love and making your child feel secure is normal practice for any parent!

deelite72 Fri 07-Mar-14 11:29:23

They're 'selling' an image, that's what magazines and media do. We all have our own aspirations and way of living. To each his own. But give me the parents who stay in their dressing gowns and eat pancakes with the kiddos on a late Saturday morning, any day. :-) I want to hear from them.

FoxesRevenge Fri 07-Mar-14 11:33:49

Her parents did what they could to ensure she mixed in the right circles. I'm confident when they knew William would be on the scene Kate was definitely encouraged to go there. Since meeting him she has done everything to hang onto him. If that's what she wants then I'm happy for her. It's not a role I would like to take on that's for sure!

ComposHat Fri 07-Mar-14 12:00:25

There was always money knocking about. The dad's background is very much old money even before their business took off there was family money to pay for vastly expensive education for three children. It just suits the papers to emphasise Carol Middleton's humbler beginings as it makes a better 'rags to riches' story.

Kate seems to have been encouraged to follow her mother's example and marry her way up the class system. I don't know that they had William in mind, but she was put in a position where she could meet eligible wealthy men.

Artandco Fri 07-Mar-14 12:02:25

Loving family, baking, arts and craft, going outdoors are surely just basic parenting/ life?

Crowler Fri 07-Mar-14 12:05:44

Carole M. gets a bad rap but her children & son in law seem to adore her. The class system is alive and well.

FrankelInFoal Fri 07-Mar-14 12:06:37

Didn't William change Universities at the last minute though? If that's the case there's no way Kate, or her parents, would gave been able to plot on snaring him.

Crowler Fri 07-Mar-14 12:07:36

I think any former flight attendant whose daughter attended private school and later married a prince would meet with some accusations of social engineering.

squoosh Fri 07-Mar-14 12:09:40

I'm sure the Middleton's envisaged their daughter marrying 'well' once it was decided they were being sent to boarding school but I doubt they were Machiavellian enough to engineer a royal wedding from her infancy.

sugarandspite Fri 07-Mar-14 12:09:48

Personally, I would hope that if I raised my daughters with all the advantages of wealth and a secure happy family that actually if offerred the opportunity to become a non-working clothes-horse political pawn, they would feel that they had more interesting things to be doing.

Valdeeves Fri 07-Mar-14 12:13:58

I don't think they did - as already said, they will have intended for her to marry well. I think it's down to her looks and body really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now