Talk

Advanced search

Lunchbox suggestions

(15 Posts)
SchrodingersFerret Fri 07-Mar-14 07:38:46

so the school sends home the newsletter with a crosspatch comment about people sending sweets in with packed lunches. It then proceeds to go into day to day minute detail about what should be in a packed lunch.

Is it me, or is 'Tinned peaches in juice with low fat custard' a bit ambitious?

Gremlingirl Fri 07-Mar-14 07:43:41

The vast majority of children should not have low-fat anything, because you can guarantee that something undesirable, like loads of artificial sweetener or sugar, has probably been added in its place. And they need fat in their diet. Stupid lunchbox police. I bet it's not low-fat custard on their jam roly-poly or whatever the school dinner is!

BeerTricksPotter Fri 07-Mar-14 07:44:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Fri 07-Mar-14 07:46:43

School does have a point re sweets in lunch boxes - who would do that? Obviously it's one or two but the school has to send a blanket notification I guess.

Peaches and custard, I suppose decanted into a pot is no messier than a yoghurt.

It's annoying that they have to write to the majority when it is aimed at minority...but it's the way it is.

TheSkiingGardener Fri 07-Mar-14 07:50:27

I think a sweet note reminding them that children should not have a low fat diet would be in order. Copy their newsletter tone for it.

SchrodingersFerret Fri 07-Mar-14 07:51:58

Oh the whole thing is very lowfat this and that, and lentils-on-rye-bread-with-hummus. I don't mind so much - we send in a sarnie, a packet of crisps and breakfast bar cos my kids refuse to eat fruit from a lunchbox for some reason, even though they eat it at home. It's just the slightly hysterical suggestions about what food to put in that made me hmm

TheRealAmandaClarke Fri 07-Mar-14 07:56:56

<screams>
Tbh. The no sweets policy was the when I was at school in the 70s and 80s. It's a good thing I think.

But low fat custard (as everyone knows) is not really a good idea.
Especially for small childn.
Maybe if you've got a chubby 10 yo? But otherwise I wish they'd just shut up about low fat rubbish.

MummyPig24 Fri 07-Mar-14 08:10:20

I can't believe people actually put sweets in lunchboxes. That's just silly. But peaches and custard is a bit weird too. Messy, needs a spoon. Low fat custard is a load of crap, as is low fat anything. Children need fat, good fats.

coraltoes Fri 07-Mar-14 08:12:10

ARGH LOW FAT LOW FAT LOW FAT low f*ck off.
sorry for ranting. majorly annoyed at the sh*t some schools/nurseries spew around what is healthy for kids.

Lagoonablue Fri 07-Mar-14 08:15:14

I put 1 sweet in on a Friday as a treat. Or a nice biscuit. Just on Fridays. Is that bad? Luckily our school seems a bit more relaxed.

There is also sandwiches, fruit and cheese.

QueenofKelsingra Fri 07-Mar-14 08:24:39

I hate this stupid one size fits all thing. so because there are obsese kids all kids should have low fat? my DS eats adult sized portions some days but is only on the 9th weight centile. bugger me if I'm sending him low fat anything!!

and why tinned peaches? (usually comes in sugary syrup?) what is wrong with an actual peach?

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 07-Mar-14 08:27:28

If it's full of artificial sweetners then tbh I'd rather my dd ate the sweet.

Sounds gross tbh. Cold custard? Bleugh

TheRealAmandaClarke Fri 07-Mar-14 08:29:38

It's also a bit frustrating that the Govts obsession with fake low fat foods seems to have caged a backlash of ppl choosing a diet that might, in fact, be unnecessarily high in fat.
It's true that small children should be given full fat, rather than low fat dairy produce. But many adults, and older children would do well to reduce their fat intake. Of course, this doesn't negate the need to avoid the hidden sugars usually found in low fat foods.
The whole diet issue has lost all sense of proportion and reason.

Foods to avoid to reduce the nation's obesity problem?
Sugary snacks.
and Seconds.

TheRealAmandaClarke Fri 07-Mar-14 08:34:22

I love custard btw.
Home made, or fresh in a posh carton, or birds tinned, or ambrosia canned.
Never, ever would low fat custard pass the threshold of my home. grin

Nataleejah Fri 07-Mar-14 08:40:05

I usually give my DS a curd snack, which looks too much like a dreaded chocolate bar. Had to explain several times like wtf is this. I'm quite glad that our school is ethnically diverse -- usual can get away with "look, thats what we normally eat in (...)"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now