Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be a bit concerned?

(8 Posts)
Joolsy Thu 06-Mar-14 17:58:25

It's just hit me that both of my DDs (5 and 10) don't have any real interests outside school. DD2 is still a bit young but some of her friends go to ballet etc. DD1 has tried halfheartedly gymnastics but it sort of petered out. They both went to a dance & drama group but DD1 said it was too babyish so now DD2 doesn't want to go either. DD1 has just started guides and loves it and they both have just started swimming lessons after school, but I feel maybe I've been a bit lazy with after school clubs in that I haven't encouraged them into doing much. They don't play a musical instrument either. Any advice?

StarGazeyPond Thu 06-Mar-14 18:06:39

I would think Guides and swimming lessons should be enough for now. Where I live there were no 'kids clubs' for miles, and it didn't do my son any harm. I think there is far too much pressure on kids for 'busy busy' and not enough for play. I think you've got it about right.

Gossipyfishwife Thu 06-Mar-14 18:06:44

II sent my two ds to karate.

Twice a week.

For 10 years.

(If they took boarders I would have sent them to that. Karate is brilliant)

funkybuddah Thu 06-Mar-14 18:44:53

My kids don't do anything. Well dc2 (6) does school based temporary after school things. They are perfectly fine. There is a bit of an obsession to make sure kids are busy.

Topseyt Thu 06-Mar-14 18:48:44

Guides and swimming lessons after school is perfectly sufficient.

You don't need to micro-manage every second of their spare time. They need to become self-sufficient, and also to have enough down time.

RedFocus Thu 06-Mar-14 19:03:53

My eldest (12) does guides, my son does swimming & basketball (school clubs) and my youngest (7) does nothing (she's autistic and hates clubs) I think that's plenty personally. I did horse riding every week and running when I was 12 so I think that's pretty good going.

pussycatdoll Thu 06-Mar-14 19:06:52

Mine only do the free school clubs blush
can't afford anything else
So dd has had a term of gymnastics free
Ds has been doing hockey for free because his teacher runs it straight after school

Burmahere Thu 06-Mar-14 19:13:02

Guides and swimming - plenty.

Mine (9 years and 11 yr old twins) don't do anything outside school, they do a wide range of stuff in school though which I'm happy with and long days.

We walk in the woods with the dog at the weekends which they love, they are real homebirds too which is sweet.

Have been skiing which they absolutely love - shame it's so expensive as certainly can't afford to go every year or anything like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now