Talk

Advanced search

To feel like it be really uncomfortable to go swimming with my boss?

(17 Posts)
MeantToStopAtTwo Wed 05-Mar-14 23:33:20

She has suggested it (whilst staying in a hotel together at a conference) and seems to think nothing of it. Yet to me the idea feels really awkward. She is great and we are pretty friendly, but she's 15 odd years older than I am and to spend time together in our cossies would be well... uncomfortable.

AIBU?

MuttonCadet Wed 05-Mar-14 23:35:14

yes, YABU, its just swimming.

foreverondiet Wed 05-Mar-14 23:37:02

Given that its a "she" boss I think YABU!

BOFtastic Wed 05-Mar-14 23:40:27

You sound a bit uptight, yes.

HadABadDay2014 Wed 05-Mar-14 23:42:59

I wouldn't go with my boss swimming.

I don't even use the local swimming pool,in case someone knows me.

cunexttuesonline Wed 05-Mar-14 23:43:03

That's nothing! I once went to a conference in the netherlands with my male boss. It was a really nice hotel with a pool and I had taken my swimming costume so went down the first night, when I got there I was informed that that night, was naked swimming night. Seriously. I decided to give it a miss and went back to my room. In the morning I met my boss at breakfast and told him about the naked swimming and he said he knew as he had gone!! Now that would have been really awkward. shock

HyvaPaiva Wed 05-Mar-14 23:43:28

but she's 15 odd years older than I am and to spend time together in our cossies would be well... uncomfortable.

What does this bit about her being older than you mean? What are you getting at when you say it would be 'well... uncomfortable'?

MerryInthechelseahotel Wed 05-Mar-14 23:44:49

I really haven't a clue as to why you would feel uncomfortable. Can you say?

Selks Wed 05-Mar-14 23:44:54

If you don't fancy doing it then don't. YANBU.

thereisnoeleventeen Wed 05-Mar-14 23:45:08

It's often the case that the older you get the more comfortable you get with your body so she probably thinks nothing of it at all.

MeantToStopAtTwo Wed 05-Mar-14 23:47:28

Hyva what I'm getting at is that I do view her very much as my superior and seeing her in a swimsuit would feel like crossing boundaries somehow and intruding on her privacy. It's not to do with chronological age.

MeantToStopAtTwo Wed 05-Mar-14 23:48:08

Wanksock, I love the naked swim story.

Viviennemary Wed 05-Mar-14 23:50:32

I myself can't see the problem. However, if it makes you feel uncomfortable then don't.

chrome100 Thu 06-Mar-14 06:49:39

We have a gym and pool at work so I often run into colleagues there. Seeing your boss's nipple ring - now THATS weird!

HyvaPaiva Thu 06-Mar-14 07:45:31

Oh, intruding her privacy, I get it now. The mention of the 15 year age difference threw me, OP. I thought your awkwardness stemmed from the age comment. Don't worry, she suggested it so she's obviously not concerned by it. But as it's bothering you a bit, it's probably best not to go. You don't have to put yourself through any awkwardness if you don't want to go.

Waswondering Thu 06-Mar-14 07:51:58

I understand how you feel. My place of work is imminently opening a new pool, and they are enthusiastically talking of staff swimming before it opens to the wider public. I personally can't think of anything worse than all of us being costumed up!

Northernlurker Thu 06-Mar-14 07:59:29

I think you're being silly about this OP. Everybody in a pool is too busy swimming to mentally bitch about other people's appearance. If you want to swim then swim, with your boss or not. If you don't then don't.

Incidentally I think it's really sad that so many women are so insecure about their appearance that they refuse to enjoy a fab form of exercise and fun. I've seen it on a lot of threads. It really is a pity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now