Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

By having a word with the neighbours?

(25 Posts)
toots123 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:48:47

Our cat has been struggling with allergies for months and the vet had suggested getting blood tests done.
we now have the results and its food related.
confusing thing is that we havent fed her any of the positive matches for months and she is still getting awful scabs on her face so it must be that someone else is feeding her.

when we moved into our house a neighbour mentioned that the old couple across the road fed the previous owners cat so there's a good chance its them

What would you recommend? Speaking to said couple or creating a flyer and asking all neighbours not to feed/put food out for cats??
I feel mean as there are a lot of cats in our street so they may not be meaning it! Just cant go on with our poor wee itchy cat struggling away!

Feminine Wed 05-Mar-14 20:51:24

I think that would be fine. I'd do it.

It is not as if you are being mean, just letting them know wink

and...vets bills are expensive. You need to be proactive right away.

If the couple over the road are rational they will understand. smile

RandomMess Wed 05-Mar-14 20:51:30

I would do a flyer with your cats photo and description on it - lots of emotional blackmail emphasis on how he his suffering due to allergies to x y z and to please not feed him anything as he's now on special food!

You may have to leaflet several streets btw...

Feminine Wed 05-Mar-14 20:52:27

and maybe offer to get them a cat/kitten of their own?

LiberalLibertine Wed 05-Mar-14 20:53:02

I like the flyer idea, especially as it may not be them.

Why do people feed other people's obviously healthy cats? very crap sentence I know

mymiraclebubba Wed 05-Mar-14 20:55:37

it may not be this couple! my cats were buggers at 'breaking in' to other people's houses through open windows etc so if there are a lot of cats in the area then they could be sneaking in through other people's cat flaps etc and helping themselves!!

don't single them out, i would make sure you are visible in speaking to all your neighbours about it so as not to upset or offend anyone unintentionally

SeaSickSal Wed 05-Mar-14 20:59:15

I'd go and have a word with them. They obviously like cats and probably don't know they are causing a problem. They might think the scabs are because she is an unkempt stray rather than an allergy which is why they are feeding her.

As long as you're nice about it I don't see why they would mind. The only thing though is she could be getting it from anywhere as cats go through each others cat flaps so she might be eating another cats food.

MidniteScribbler Wed 05-Mar-14 21:01:02

Or you could just keep your cat confined to your own property.

smearedinfood Wed 05-Mar-14 21:03:15

My cat was struggling with allergies, I spoke to the neighbours and I'm so glad I did, because her coat is now lush and has been for months.

Feminine Wed 05-Mar-14 21:03:33

How would op go about doing that midnite confused

MidniteScribbler Wed 05-Mar-14 21:04:26

Take cat inside, shut door. Not exactly rocket science.

Cleartheclutter Wed 05-Mar-14 21:06:54

Can you add a note or something to the cats collar saying do not feed?

Feminine Wed 05-Mar-14 21:07:06

midnite have you tried that with a cat used to roaming?

Not all homes are set up for a stinky shitty litter tray either.

Feminine Wed 05-Mar-14 21:08:12

clear that is a great idea!

MidniteScribbler Wed 05-Mar-14 21:08:41

If you can't deal with a litter tray in your house, then don't have a cat. "Roaming" is an excuse used by lazy pet owners to avoid taking responsibility for the care of their animal.

ADishBestEatenCold Wed 05-Mar-14 21:10:23

"it may not be this couple! my cats were buggers at 'breaking in' to other people's houses"

Was just thinking similarly. It may be that some people give their own cats unrestricted access to both catflap and food and, if so, your cat could be grabbing the chance of the extra snacks.

For that reason, I think I would be inclined to do the flyer (as well as speaking to people). Someone up-thread suggested that you add a photo of your cat and named the things she's allergic to. Seems a good idea. If I received such a flyer, I think I would tell the sender if I happened to use the offending foodstuffs and, if the visiting cat couldn't be completely be deterred, I might even be likely to stop using that particular food.

Most people will want to help if they can, I would think.

RandomMess Wed 05-Mar-14 21:13:10

Have you not all read "Six dinner Sid" he could be visiting several properties and stealing lots!

Feminine Wed 05-Mar-14 21:13:37

midnite you must be that crazy from The cat protection league round my way.

Or...you don't like cats very much?

I'm just not sure grin

maddening Wed 05-Mar-14 21:15:40

you can get enclosed cat litter boxes with a kitty door on the front - my dsis has trained her outdoor cat to go in it so it is possible.

MidniteScribbler Wed 05-Mar-14 21:16:12

I like cats. I don't like seeing them flattened on the side of the road.

ADishBestEatenCold Wed 05-Mar-14 21:20:46

"Or you could just keep your cat confined to your own property"

For many cats who have had years of regular access to outdoors, permanently preventing such access can cause (often severe) symptoms of stress. Many of these may never fully adapt.

Surely better to try and deal with the allergy by prevention, if possible.

LiberalLibertine Wed 05-Mar-14 21:22:12

midnite what are you on about?

toots123 Wed 05-Mar-14 21:22:38

Thanks all!!! smile

Midnite, we do have a cat litter box but she wont use it. Shes been an outdoor cat for over a year and would go mad and destroy our house if we locked her in. Im a soft touch and dont keep her in very often

Feminine Wed 05-Mar-14 21:23:10

midnite I get that smile

But you do understand that you can't confine some cats right?
Especially when they are used to outside space.

I kept indoor cats for years. I wouldn't do that again.

deakymom Wed 05-Mar-14 22:57:52

perhaps a note put through the neighbours letterbox (all of them) with a picture of your cat and a specific request not to feed due to allergies put your house number in so they can pop up and ask questions see my neighbours used to feed my cat certain meats (garlic roll) as a treat i used to do the same with pretty much all the neighbouring cats (shopping day they would all be waiting for the taxi to arrive and overwhelm me with cuteness) so i understand how it is done

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now