Talk

Advanced search

Not to let my DD take part in this school thing?

(49 Posts)
puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 05-Mar-14 16:12:19

The school have asked that the children ride their bike or scooter too and from school for the next two weeks. I think it's part of some scheme confused

All well and good, however my DD's school is at the top of a massive hill! She is 5, and I really don't think it is safe to have a bunch of 5 y/o going down a steep hill on scooters, at school pick up time where there are lot's of cars.

Today I was holding on to the back of her coat whilst going down the hill and she still fell off!

We walk to school anyway, so if the scheme is intended for exercise, she is getting this already.

AIBU to stop taking the damn scooter?

formerbabe Wed 05-Mar-14 16:16:06

I think walking is much better exercise than a scooter anyway...scooting is basically standing on it and occasionally pushing yourself faster with one foot!

JackNoneReacher Wed 05-Mar-14 16:16:17

YANBU.

Scooters and bikes aren't always safe/appropriate esp for little ones.

Sounds like another slightly ill thought out school initiative.

Goblinchild Wed 05-Mar-14 16:16:34

Absolutely fine, walking is also exercise.
DD's school insisted that she take part in cycling proficiency in Y6. She can't ride a bike and doesn't own one.
They insisted, so she borrowed one, paddded up and rode around like a drunken carthorse, falling off and into people.
They told her not to bother for day two. grin

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 05-Mar-14 16:22:26

It really is an ill thought out scheme for this school. It is way to steep a hill to ride down.

Plus, people are still driving their kids to school, and just getting them to ride the scooter from the car to the school gates so all in all pretty pointless confused

ReadyisKnitting Wed 05-Mar-14 16:24:55

I hate these school things. Dd1 has a taxi provided by county and is desperate to take part, but can't. It's horrid for her to see all the other kids in their badges.

WorraLiberty Wed 05-Mar-14 16:25:01

YANBU

I hate seeing kids scooting along a busy pavement.

They might stop at the roads, but they mostly seem unaware of people pulling out of driveways.

Why isn't the school encouraging walking? confused

BakeOLiteGirl Wed 05-Mar-14 16:27:02

I thought scooting was a cop out until I tried it. I got some serious but cheek ache from it. But hills, scooters and children not good.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Wed 05-Mar-14 16:48:33

I really don't know Worra Walking would be much better because as it stands I have to carry said scooter too and from school as they can't store it there hmm

CumberCookie Wed 05-Mar-14 16:53:22

YANBU and I'd have a word with the school too. They obviously haven't considered the potential hazards.

Is it possible your DD has misunderstood? It just seems very weird.

pictish Wed 05-Mar-14 16:58:00

I feel your pain OP...our school is ionvolved with the same incentive atm.
We live a mile and a half from school (mostly uphill and over a main road and a difficult busy junction), and today ds2 (6) was insistent he wanted to scoot, as in doing so, the kids can earn house points for their house at school. Ds2 takes all school stuff very seriously so he was desperate.
This led to dd (5) having a meltdown because she wanted to scoot to nursery too, but there was no way I wanted to supervise two of them scooting on the route to school. I also knew it would mean carrying two scooters when they got fed up with them.

Well....it was a nightmare, and ended up taking me longer to get to school than I normally would, frazzled and pissed off with the additional hassle.

I hate these sorts of schemes. I can see they are well intentioned enough, but the reality is that they are often a pain in the arse for parents to deal with.

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Wed 05-Mar-14 17:00:15

I think anything encouraging children onto scooters esp on mass is a dreadful idea.

gretagrape Wed 05-Mar-14 17:05:54

Stupid idea - what if someone's child doesn't have a scooter? Do schools think that parents are just there to spend money at their bidding?

BerylStreep Wed 05-Mar-14 17:08:24

Ask to see the risk assessment?

pictish Wed 05-Mar-14 17:16:16

I just think that these ideas aren't always thought through that much.
"Hey...you know what would be really cool?" is pretty much all the thinking that goes into them.

I've got three kids to organise of a morning, and it is hard enough as it is, without having to think about dragging the poxy scooters along with me as well!
When they offer the kids in school incentives to join in, they put the pressure on to join in.
The fuckers.

pictish Wed 05-Mar-14 17:17:18

When they offer the kids in-school incentives to join in, they put the pressure on for parents to comply...is what that meant to say.
The fuckers.

notso Wed 05-Mar-14 17:18:55

rode around like a drunken carthorse I can't stop giggling at this grin

Adikia Wed 05-Mar-14 17:47:55

YANBU, DD's school is up a big hill and across a busy road and she kept asking to scoot as the children from the primary just before the hill do. I gave in one day, it was possibly the most stressful walk I have ever had!

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Wed 05-Mar-14 17:51:01

We are doing this as part of The Big Pedal. It is a national thing, I think. Secondary, though, so less hassle.

OwlinaTree Wed 05-Mar-14 17:52:07

It's to do with improving fitness and reducing cars at school gates.

When will LAs get it through their thick heads that parents generally drive their children to school because a) it's too far to walk or b) they are going off to work/another school etc after drop off.

It excludes lots of children as you rightly say reading.

Grrrrr

MyBodyIsAtemplate Wed 05-Mar-14 17:55:07

er you really don't have to do everything school says op.

if you feel it's inappropriate then that's it.

your child out of school time is your responsibility.

walk if it suits. schools have lots of good ideas but unfortunately don't always think things through.

most parents drop and go into drive to work or have siblings that need cm, nursery.

you do what you can and if you can't don't.

MyBodyIsAtemplate Wed 05-Mar-14 17:56:02

x post owlina grin

MyBodyIsAtemplate Wed 05-Mar-14 18:00:09

Worra agree re scooting and have seen many close shaves with kids careering along pavements oblivious of drives and elderly people.

to reward the children for basically having a parent who lives near the school on a safe route and doesn't work is ridiculous.

bloody ridiculous. wouldn't happen at our school.

OwlinaTree Wed 05-Mar-14 18:01:16

It's just hard for the kids if they give out stickers, certificates etc.

JennyCalendar Wed 05-Mar-14 18:11:59

My secondary are involved with this at the moment. It is a 2 week national challenge with prizes for the schools with the most points. It is voluntary so if you feel it is inappropriate for your child then don't let her participate. No big deal.

If DD is desperate to participate, let her scoot with just one foot on the scooter - no free-wheeling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now