Talk

Advanced search

to not really care how people smell?

(102 Posts)
CorusKate Wed 05-Mar-14 14:55:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FoxesRevenge Wed 05-Mar-14 16:03:03

But it's unpleasant to say the least. I really don't appreciate the smell of cigarettes on someone or body odour. It turns my stomach.

Some people are more sensitive to smells than others.

Why is it racist to say someone smells of curry? Or garlic for that matter?

Minifingers Wed 05-Mar-14 16:06:03

I'm so with you OP.

People on here are hysterical about body odour.

It's like this aspect of their psyche stopped developing at 14.

(all that said, I do have sympathy with women with hyperemesis, who may have a massive problem with bad smells, but even then it doesn't, IMO give them a right to police other people's odour).

CailinDana Wed 05-Mar-14 16:09:34

I have an incredibly strong sense of smell. Smells torment me. I'm not outraged by BO but it does really get to me. However perfume is worse IMO.

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 05-Mar-14 16:10:02

God ie served people who reek. Of gags, of dirt, of piss, of alcohol. The seeping through pores kind not the had a drink at lunch kind.

Half my customers stink of weed which I can live with. But omg hot day, crowded shop and a load of people who don't shower. It's gross. End of.

Onesleeptillwembley Wed 05-Mar-14 16:10:58

Because those smells are fucking horrible, especially smoke on people. Truly revolting. Personally I can't understand how it doesn't bother you, but there you go. We have different standards and or thresholds.

CailinDana Wed 05-Mar-14 16:13:58

Some brands of cigarette cause people to have breath that literally smells like dogshit. I just cannot breathe that in without heaving.

CoffeeTea103 Wed 05-Mar-14 16:14:12

Yabu, those smells are disgusting. You would really be ok having a conversation with someone who has bad bo and smoker breath and not want to walk away as fast as you can.

2kidsintow Wed 05-Mar-14 16:14:57

I was with you, OP, until the other day. I didn't think it could be bad enough to worry about if you didn't get too close.

Then I was out with a friend in a local pizza restaurant when a large party of people came in. One of them smelt so bad that it wafted all round the restaurant, competing with the smell of the food, and stank the place out.

Urgh.

wonderingwoman64 Wed 05-Mar-14 16:17:06

Racists like to say people stink of curry?!!!

likeneverbefore Wed 05-Mar-14 16:17:21

I agree.

I work with homeless people, many of whom aren't in a position to be scrupulously clean. It doesn't bother me.

likeneverbefore Wed 05-Mar-14 16:18:50

Cailin - I met with a manager last week who had coffee/fag breath that smelled like dog shit and I was actually surreptitiously checking the bottom of my shoes until I realised that's what it was.

WorraLiberty Wed 05-Mar-14 16:20:50

Racists like to say people stink of curry?!!!

As I'm sure lots of non racist people can't stand the smell of curry?

I'm with you OP

Unless a smell is absolutely choking and I have to be in a confined space with that person/smell, I just can't get worked up about it.

throckenholt Wed 05-Mar-14 16:22:03

I have had to consciously stop myself saying "what is that awful smell" a few times lately - only just in time I have realised it is my office mate. He had a big meeting that day - and presumably it was some posh aftershave that he thinks smells great and adds to his confidence.

I have a weird sense of smell - I can usually pick up nasty smells easily but often don't smell nicer smells (eg good food cooking). Some I can tolerate (eg can cope with sitting next to a smoker if I have to), others make me gag (chicken sheds - yes you neighbouring farmer - luckily wind rarely in that direction). Sitting next to someone drinking strong coffee is an act of will power on my part

To my nose most people don't smell too badly - sometimes I can detect BO, or wee (older men), but mostly not.

Maybe I am blissfully unaware.

FoxesRevenge Wed 05-Mar-14 16:22:03

I had a teacher with the worst breath ever. I have a colleague now who isn't much better. If you have to use the meeting room after he's been in you have to give it 5-10 mins for the smell to disperse. Both were big black coffee drinkers and I'm wondering if that's a connection.

sassytheFIRST Wed 05-Mar-14 16:26:34

I work with teens, one of whom is badly neglected. His parents are hoarders and none of them gave normal standards of hygiene. He stinks, his hair is caked in grease, his teeth are thick with plaque (no bad breath, interestingly), his face is full of blackheads. When I sit next to him, I can smell his socks, as well as a general whiff of sweat/dirt. He is a lovely lad though, and it isn't his fault that he hasn't been taught 21st century standards of cleanliness.

I notice it, but am not offended. I do open the window regardless of air temp though!

CocoCha Wed 05-Mar-14 16:28:43

Smell is vitally important and very subjective. Like eyesight or hearing, some people have more acute senses than others so what offends me might be something that you're not even getting.

scarletforya Wed 05-Mar-14 16:31:38

Yabu.

No to smelly people!

pictish Wed 05-Mar-14 16:33:21

I suppose people have different levels of tolerance, but personally I'm with the OP.
While I'm sure that some people DO have a heightened sense of smell, I'm also sure that others just like complaining about stuff.

LastOneDancing Wed 05-Mar-14 16:34:35

Reacting to a smell is a reflex though isn't it? Like a loud noise - you instinctively feel boaky as a defence mechanism.
Hence the pregnant person hyper smell thing.

Some have a stronger reflex than others it would seem.

honeybunny14 Wed 05-Mar-14 16:35:04

The only smell that bothers me is bad breath i actualy wretch its vile.

NatashaBee Wed 05-Mar-14 16:36:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AngelaDaviesHair Wed 05-Mar-14 16:37:23

Hm. Some people have an enhanced sense of smell. So I suppose smells bother them more. I had about 4 weeks of that when I was pregnant and it was horrid. There I sympathise.

Then there are people who make a big deal about being ultra-fastidious and sensitive and super clean and hygenic and whatnot, as though it makes them superior beings. They are forever loudly proclaiming that things make them feel sick and they couldn't possibly eat anything now etc etc blah bore whinge. There is often a significant bullying aspect to their declarations, with stage whispers about people they don;t like being a bit, you know, whiffy etc. These people are nasty, boring and ill-mannered and should be shown no quarter.

There is a small overlap between the two groups.

tallulah Wed 05-Mar-14 16:38:48

I have a really sensitive sense of smell and some things make me feel really ill. The smell I find most unpleasant is strong perfume, which is really unnecessary. Most times you can get away from it but having a desk near someone who bathes in the stuff or having to sit near someone at the theatre really is torture.

pictish Wed 05-Mar-14 16:40:28

Angela I agree. I have come across those exaggerating "ooooh I feel sick!" over hee bloody haw types before.
Bore off indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now