Talk

Advanced search

to think that a cold caller ringing back a few seconds later to ask why I put the phone down is wasting their time

(28 Posts)
kim147 Wed 05-Mar-14 13:44:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FoxesRevenge Wed 05-Mar-14 13:48:08

I'm always receiving text messages like this. I'm waiting for a phone call though as I'd like to know when exactly this accident they know about actually took place!

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Wed 05-Mar-14 13:58:31

Play along. grin oh have I? I don't remember that. Do you think I could have sustained a concussion and that is why I have no memory of it?

or do what my husband did. misunderstand them on purpose and thank them SO much for being able to get him some money and what sort of accident would they like him to have. get really excited about the sort of accident you could stage and how much do they think they could get you for it.

or do what one mner did and say yes, I was. sadly I died.

I am not worthy. I am not worthy. grin

Writerwannabe83 Wed 05-Mar-14 14:01:42

Whenever I get cold-callers and they ask to speak to 'so and so' - be it my name, my husband's name or the 'home owner/bill payer' I always respond with, "Yes, I'll just go and get them....."

I then leave the phone off the hook and go back to whatever I was doing.

I often wonder how long they wait and wait and wait before they cotton on to the fact that nobody is coming to the phone grin They all hang up eventually!!!

K8eee Wed 05-Mar-14 14:14:47

Haha writer my dh does the exact same thing! or what he has responded with in the past is 'ah brilliant, yes just bear with me I'll just go and get him' caller is left on phone for a few minutes dh goes back 'hi are you still there? sorry he's just on how way down from upstairs, he won't be long'

kept it going for a good 5 minutes or so, dh went back to the phone and they had hung up lol

Melonbreath Wed 05-Mar-14 15:27:25

My dh pretends to be a pervert. I just chat as to what I'm doing, what I've done, whether to have a pizza for tea. If they ring us they take the consequences.

meddie Wed 05-Mar-14 15:32:41

Theres a brilliant response that an american guy did where he pretended that the telesales guy had phoned a murder scene and grilled him on how he knew the victim , why was he calling etc. Made him stay on the line for a while. Poor telesales guy was crapping himself.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Wed 05-Mar-14 15:37:39

I just say 'no thank you' and then hang up. If they are particularly persistent, then I give the phone to my toddler and tell him that Mr Tumble wants to speak to know what he's having for dinner today.

NigellasDealer Wed 05-Mar-14 15:38:20

my dad does a thin high scream down the phone, gets rid of them sharpish!

jellyhead Wed 05-Mar-14 15:39:17

One phoned me back after I said I couldn't talk ( was in A & E with ill dh ) to say I was rude

bubblegoose Wed 05-Mar-14 15:46:47

Just repeat everything they say, it drives them mad! I learned that one from my toddler.

I said 'Oh, the accident my toddler had in the park last week ?"
"Yes, mam."
"It was awful."
"Yes, mam?"
"Terrible. Pee all over the sandpit. And I thought he was potty trained."
Pause. Hangs up.

ElvisJesusAndCocaCola Wed 05-Mar-14 15:51:16

This happened to me.

I sighed and listened. He tried to sell me a loan to do up the outside of my house or put a conservatory on.

I lived in a first-floor flat.

GemmaTeller Wed 05-Mar-14 15:58:51

We did the same as writer until we got rid of the landline.

Then I got a text about the accident one this morning sad

cardamomginger Wed 05-Mar-14 16:02:34

I got accused of lying when I said (truthfully) that I hadn't been involved in a serious accident. They said they had information which proved that I had. Yeah, right.

AngelaDaviesHair Wed 05-Mar-14 16:05:00

Tell them you are a police officer or a prosecutor, you know you haven't been involved in an accident and do they really want to continue with the conversation? Works for me.

LokiDokey Wed 05-Mar-14 16:05:08

Had lots on my mobile of late, I've added a load of numbers to the reject list but these, sneakily, were using a withheld number and I wasn't in the best of moods.

"Hello Mrs Loki, I'm calling about the accident you had in the last three years"
"Oh yes, it was terrible, horrific actually. I died"
Long silence
"shall I remove you from the database Mrs Loki?"
"Yes please"

grin

CrapBag Wed 05-Mar-14 16:05:27

Oh these are great. I am going to have to use them.

Over 3 years ago my car was in an accident. Note my CAR. It was parked outside my house and it got hit (thank you and now I am a high risk driver hmm). I have had phone calls ever since regarding my 'accident'. In fact I had one last night. Goodness knows how many companies my details were sold to. angry

It was just the landline, now its started on my mobile. Every time they get a massive sigh and a "no I was not in the car, this has been going on for over 3 years now" and I get a thank you they won't bother me again. Yeah right, the one from last night had definitely phoned before.

I think I need to play along and see how long I can keep them going. I do love the one that said she had died in the accident though. grin I so need to use that.

I understand that they are doing a job and having worked in telesales myself in the past, its not nice but if I had been hurt and wanted to make a fucking claim then I fucking would have fucking done it my fucking self. FFS! grin

ToriaPumpkin Wed 05-Mar-14 16:06:03

I got one last week about the upcoming service for my Dyson. When I told her (truthfully) that I don't have a Dyson she hung up on me!

Maybe I should have done 1471 and told her she was rude...

CrapBag Wed 05-Mar-14 16:06:22

Loki I am going to steal that. I just want to hear their reaction. grin

CrapBag Wed 05-Mar-14 16:07:31

Yep I frequently get hung up on as well! Usually when I have told them I am registered with the TPS and am ex directory they soon disappear. Doesn't bloody stop others though.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Wed 05-Mar-14 16:09:37

oh loki! It was you then that I was thinking of when I remembered an MNer had said she had died.

too funny, just too funny.

I have been DESPERATE to get one of those calls ever since I read it. But alas, silence.

LokiDokey Wed 05-Mar-14 16:09:52

He went very quiet crap you could hear the cogs whirring.

Friend of mine winds them up by asking them to tell him all about it, when was it etc. They end up so far off script they are spluttering.

LokiDokey Wed 05-Mar-14 16:10:29

Isee yep, went through another name change, I get bored quickly grin

Chopsypie Wed 05-Mar-14 16:16:43

I give the phone to my 3 year old and ask him to sing them a song

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now