Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To start lent a day late??

(13 Posts)
EverythingsDozy Wed 05-Mar-14 09:47:50

Would it BU to start lent tomorrow because I just want to pig out on chocolate and crap because I'm feeling sad??
Having a bad day, child maintenance just phoned to let me know how much my DH has to pay for the kids but I don't want him to pay maintenance, I just want him to come home!
It's out second anniversary in a couple of weeks and I'm really sad that in less than two years he has broken the promise to love me forever. The vows obviously meant nothing to him.
Having a shitty day, I just want to eat my troubles away! sad

Sorry you're going through this.

You don't have to do Lent at all! Do you want to?

Jess03 Wed 05-Mar-14 09:55:57

No, yanbu and lent doesn't have to be about denying yourself something, why not go down the route of trying to do a good deed every day. I always try and give up chocolate, never lasts more than a week! In your situation I think you should definitely avoid the denial side. Good luck op! You will be better off without him of he's that much of a rat...

EverythingsDozy Wed 05-Mar-14 09:58:07

I have been comfort eating since my husband left. I normally give up chocolate but this year, I really feel like I should because of the amount I've been eating.

Jess03 Wed 05-Mar-14 10:00:35

Start a day late then, I don't think anyone is there with a clipboard victimising people in tough situations. You know you can also chuck the chocolate in the bin or donate it if you feel overwhelmed...maybe you should reach out to your local church for sympathetic support in your situation and can approach Easter as your new start.

WorraLiberty Wed 05-Mar-14 10:07:22

Lent isn't compulsory no matter how deeply religious you are.

Sorry to hear about your troubles thanks

Topaz25 Wed 05-Mar-14 10:33:23

I'm sorry to hear your are having such a difficult time. Do whatever makes you feel better, whether that's enjoying chocolate or sticking to Lent. I'm a comfort eater and I know it ultimately makes me feel worse but it's up to you.

Topaz25 Wed 05-Mar-14 10:36:13

*you

OhYouBadBadKitten Wed 05-Mar-14 10:47:45

I am really sorry you are having such an awful day. Will chocolate help, or will it make things worse after the sugar rush? Is there something more positive you can do for yourself.
A question for personal reflection - What does lent really mean to you?

EverythingsDozy Wed 05-Mar-14 10:57:02

I don't know if it will make me feel better. I just want something to get rid of all this bad feeling. Chocolate probably won't help, no, but then I haven't eaten properly and it's all I want. I always justify eating chocolate because I don't drink / smoke / take drugs so it's a lesser evil!
Lent to me is a time to prove to myself that I can go without, to show I do have some sort of willpower! A time to eat healthily (I generally eat well except tonnes of chocolate!!).

I know I'm better off without my DH but I don't want to be! I just want the stupid pillock home! He's treated me badly and I feel robbed of the chance to fix my marriage because he never told me what he was feeling. All this child maintenance has made it all feel so final, apart from divorce it's one of the last big things we have to sort out. Although he hasn't removed his car yet, changed his address details or, I found out the yesterday, hasn't taken himself off the tenancy yet!

KellyElly Wed 05-Mar-14 11:21:02

I'm starting Lent on Sunday as I'm giving up booze and have a night out on Saturday smile Unless you are very religious I don't think it will matter at all. I'm just doing it to get on a health kick and to test my willpower.

HarpyFishwifeTwat Wed 05-Mar-14 11:26:50

Sorry you're having such a bad time. Of course there's nothing wrong with starting Lent a day late - I'm doing that this year, for a much more trivial reason (pancakes at Beavers tonight).

As things are going so badly at the moment is it worth putting yourself under more pressure? Perhaps try a good deed every day as suggested by Jess03 or take the opportunity to do one thing a day to try to move on one step at a time. One thing every day? Take control of the situation yourself rather than letting him set the timetable and spring surprises on you? Start today by taking him off the tenancy yourself.

flowers

EverythingsDozy Wed 05-Mar-14 12:32:55

I can't take him off the tenancy, he has to relinquish it himself in writing but he's a lazy so and so and won't do it. Same with his bank address.
I love my DC but I wish I hadn't had them with this loser so I could cut all ties with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now