Talk

Advanced search

To not be able to get this boy out of my head?

(32 Posts)
BumpyGrindy Tue 04-Mar-14 18:15:55

Half an hour ago a lad of about 17 maybe 16 cycled into our close with a bucket slung over his bike.

I didn't really take much notice then after a while, the door knocked. I answered and was about to tell him no thank you when he started speaking and had a really quite bad speech impediment.

He told me he wasn't raising money for charity but for himself to access a course which he told me the name of and which I've forgotten ....he then said he was offering to wash cars for any price people could pay.

I don't have a car! I also had no money in the house at all..not even a pound as I've not been to the bank. sad

I can't forget his face...and the effort it took for him to say those words. I wish I could help him...he had a lovely face.

chocolatecaramel Tue 04-Mar-14 18:19:21

Sorry but I think cycling around begging is not on at all.

Minnieisthedevilmouse Tue 04-Mar-14 18:21:28

Well maybe if you have a garden he could weed that?

saidnooneever Tue 04-Mar-14 18:22:00

It's a very odd way to raise money. I would have been very suspicious. Why ask if you wanted your car cleaning if you didn't have a car outside?

Nomama Tue 04-Mar-14 18:22:14

I'd have had to think of something for him to wash. Or another joblet he could have come back and done.

Not begging but entrepreneurial. How could you begrudge him?

And that's before I've even considered the additional effort caused by his speech impediment!

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Tue 04-Mar-14 18:22:38

tbh, I would think it was a con.

SummerRain Tue 04-Mar-14 18:22:51

He wasn't begging, he was offering a service in exchange for money. Very industrious and incredibly brave if he's got the added challenge of a severe speech impediment.

Op, why didn't you ask him.to call back another day and you'd give him a job or two for some cash... If he's willing to wash cars he could wash windows or do some gardening.

eosmum Tue 04-Mar-14 18:23:45

Chocolate he's offering to work not beg. Had something similar last week and had no money in house. I took his number and will ring to get something done on payday. Is that an option?

Twighlightsparkle Tue 04-Mar-14 18:24:22

You sound lovely, unfortunately there's a scam going around here, where people are pretending to be deaf, offering similar services for " college courses"

I really hope I'm wrong but this sounds v similar

WooWooOwl Tue 04-Mar-14 18:24:26

If he was that young, isn't he entitled to do a free college course?

Maybe he wasn't as young as you thought he was.

eosmum Tue 04-Mar-14 18:26:26

Just reading the other replies, isn't it sad how cynical some of us have become? Seeing a scam where years ago it was normal for teenagers to knock looking for odd jobs.

everlong Tue 04-Mar-14 18:35:16

Access a course? At 16 he wouldn't have to pay.
Sounds like a scam.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Tue 04-Mar-14 18:47:06

It used to be, yes. But you'd generally know the kids. If a local kid was trying to earn a bit, then I would certainly let them wash my car or mow my lawn or something.

but someone I've never seen before rocks up wanting to do some jobs and I think either part of a gang that's been bussed in (they also do the door to door buy a duster for a fiver stuff), or someone seeing if anyone's at home with a view to robbing the place. I had someone at my door a while back claiming they'd come to do a repair on my roof that I'd never reported hmm and trying their damnest to get round into the back garden.

I suspect so their mate could try to get in the front door like they did to my late grandad when they were from the 'water board'.

you have to be cynical. It's those that aren't that get their house broken into and lose money to con artists.

Caitlin17 Tue 04-Mar-14 20:09:10

There used to be a couple of boys around us who did this I used them a few times. As for not knowing if you had a car my street is a terrace, it's impossible to tell who has a car or doesn't.

BumpyGrindy Tue 04-Mar-14 20:58:04

It did cross my mind that it was a scam but you know what I thought? I thought "Well if it IS a scam he's doing an Oscar-worthy impression of someone with a serious speech impediment and he deserves a fiver!" blush

It can't have been a scam....his impediment was all too real and his laboured speech was impressive and inspiring...I'm not one to give ANY time to callers but he caught me on the first sentence as he was so earnest...SO earnest. He apologised after one big stammer and at the end when I had to tell him I couldn't help, all I could say was "Well done for thinking of this..." I felt shit not helping...he'd never know whose car was whose here.

BumpyGrindy Tue 04-Mar-14 20:58:48

Everlong no I believe there is a course which needs money...and I said he looked 16 or 17...could have been 19 for all I know.

BumpyGrindy Tue 04-Mar-14 21:00:06

I've remembered what the course was...it was The McGuire Programme

AgentProvocateur Tue 04-Mar-14 21:07:19

I think it's really sad that so many people on MN (and it's not reflective of the people I know in RL) are so cynical, and keen to see the worst in people. How did people get so bitter and afraid to talk or listen to others? I think it must be a sad way to live your life. sad

BumpyGrindy Tue 04-Mar-14 21:10:40

Agent I know and I am usually THE most cynical person in the world and I never give door to door callers a second of my time...I'm Mrs."No thank you!" and slam the door before they've finished speaking...but this lad...I just knew he was for real...and I bet he's had people slam so many doors...but something tells me that if he's got the guts to do what he did, then he'll get his course. I REALLY wish I'd had the idea of perhaps pointing him in a direction where he could get funding in a less time consuming way.

Tobyturtle Tue 04-Mar-14 21:11:13

Op do you live in the Chester area? My mum has a lad of this age coming and asking this. Fwiw she believes it's genuine, he seems lovely

usualsuspect33 Tue 04-Mar-14 21:13:13

I would haven given him a few quid.

natwebb79 Tue 04-Mar-14 21:14:57

Awww! My DH's best friend is a tutor on that programme and it makes an amazing difference to people with speech problems. Part of their preparation homework is that they pluck up the courage to talk to strangers as it helps them to focus on breathing etc. Sounds genuine now you say that, bless him.

carlywurly Tue 04-Mar-14 21:15:38

If someone is offering a service for money, and you're happy to pay the price charged, what's the issue? It isn't begging as far as I can see. We used to do odd jobs as brownies when we were little.
Some really cynical responses on here.

natwebb79 Tue 04-Mar-14 21:16:38

Sorry OP - didn't mean to make you feel bad with my comment! Not having a car is a very valid reason to not pay someone to wash it, ha!

BumpyGrindy Tue 04-Mar-14 21:26:20

Usual I didn't HAVE a few quid! Don't make me feel worse! sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now