Talk

Advanced search

To ask to go part time before I even start?

(17 Posts)
fatedtopretend Tue 04-Mar-14 16:55:58

I was laid off from work a few months ago and have been applying for work constantly since, I have got a job which starts soon but it is f/t.

I have since found out they are also offering p/t places. I have one pre school child and am planning on doing a college course whilst working so p/t would suit me much better.

Would I be unreasonable to ask for a p/t place before starting or are they likely to drop me for asking?

fatedtopretend Tue 04-Mar-14 20:06:32

Bump... Sorry hmm

Pimpf Tue 04-Mar-14 20:09:21

Well you applied for a full time job and were taken on on a full time basis, I would say yabu

Minnieisthedevilmouse Tue 04-Mar-14 20:11:06

You could ask. I would expect that they will either say no or re interview for pt position. It could be different even if it appears similar.

DarlingGrace Tue 04-Mar-14 20:11:09

Call me mad, barking and howling at a full moon, but you apply for a job, you accept those terms and conditions ... you may ask to alter those hours but dont expect to be employed on hours that suit you (seeing as the job hasnt even started)

Joules68 Tue 04-Mar-14 20:13:13

How do you know the PT hours would fit in with a college course...... Or are you also expecting to be able to choose your hours?

mydaftlass Tue 04-Mar-14 20:13:17

I would ask. I think it is relatively common to negotiate different terms once you have a job offer. Maybe it depends on the sector though.

gutzgutz Tue 04-Mar-14 20:13:25

You have a right to ask if you have caring responsibilities I believe and they have a right to refuse you on specific grounds. I did it (4 full days though so almost f/t) when I got my current job offer and they agreed. If it's a decent company they should consider it seriously and if there are precedents already set then I don't see why not. Of course you may have to justify how you will manage it and how you will minimise the impact on your colleagues.

fatedtopretend Tue 04-Mar-14 20:14:06

Sorry-I take on board the posts, forgot to mention it is a call centre job hmm I was not told about the hours until after the interview

fatedtopretend Tue 04-Mar-14 20:16:43

Also my college course is online other than exams which I would need to book holiday days for

mysteryfairy Tue 04-Mar-14 20:29:18

I think for that job you are not being unreasonable. I work in an organisation that has call centres but not in the operational type areas. For my own role they would laugh if someone asked, but in the operation they love call centre staff who work part time hours covering their peaks.

WilsonFrickett Tue 04-Mar-14 20:31:11

It depends how you do it, and if you can be flexible round the hours you do want to do. As mystery says, if you can cover peak they'll probably bite your hand off, but if not, they might be a bit meh. Worth asking though. Just do it in the right way, ie sell the benefits to them.

fatedtopretend Tue 04-Mar-14 20:32:39

Thank you, sorry I sort of drip fed, not had this type of job before, they are a huge company and I have taken the first job that came along, even full time it is a 6k pay cut but needs must...

fatedtopretend Tue 04-Mar-14 20:39:39

They want us flexible between 8 and 6, I am but would much prefer 3-4 days rather than 5

mysteryfairy Tue 04-Mar-14 20:55:04

They'll still have peak days within that so I absolutely encourage you to ask. I also think staff will change their shift patterns and number of contracted hours in the sort of area you are going into all the time so they won't be taken aback at all.

WilsonFrickett Tue 04-Mar-14 20:58:05

That's another good point from mystery even if it's a 'no' now, things change in this sort of environment all the time.

Cleartheclutter Tue 04-Mar-14 21:37:56

At my work, you would have to considered for part time. Might there be an opportunity for job share?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now