Talk

Advanced search

booking a hotel rather than a bed in a hostel

(16 Posts)
SolidGoldBrass Tue 04-Mar-14 16:52:35

It's three times as much money and I'm skint but I just can't face the idea of sleeping four to a room with teenage backpackers when I want to be all professional and glamorous at the event I'm attending.
Am I being a wuss and acting like an old lady?

rubyflipper Tue 04-Mar-14 16:54:17

Yanbu

Book a hotel!

The thought of sharing with strangers makes my blood run cold

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 04-Mar-14 16:55:48

Depending on the hostel, some are quite civilised and have private rooms...

ShatnersBassoon Tue 04-Mar-14 16:56:58

YANBU at all. I'd hate to share a bedroom with strangers.

eurochick Tue 04-Mar-14 16:57:59

YANBU. Do it.

WilsonFrickett Tue 04-Mar-14 16:58:38

Oh dear lord no, the last time I was at a hostel I had to make my own bed hmm Hotel all the way.

BeerTricksPotter Tue 04-Mar-14 16:58:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

squoosh Tue 04-Mar-14 17:00:09

YANBU.

I'd rather sleep in a doorway then share a room in a hostel with God knows who.

CeliaLytton Tue 04-Mar-14 17:02:12

Unless it means your kids won't eat for a week or you will have to turn to crime to repay the debt, YAtotallyNBU!

SolidGoldBrass Tue 04-Mar-14 17:02:57

I have booked the hotel. I tell myself that it's actually a kindness to all the teenagers, really, as I snore like a bastard and they would probably beat me up in the night anyway.
ANd I really do have to be all impressive on the Saturday morning.

whois Tue 04-Mar-14 17:50:48

Bit late now but air bnb is your friend for these situations smile

PickleSarnie Tue 04-Mar-14 19:35:45

I went backpacking after uni. Once I shared a room with15 other people! One of them snored like a warthog with a megaphone. I through a shoe at them in frustration. Unfortunately I was a crap aim and missed.

You have had a lucky escape, you could have had someone with a better aim in your room!

SugarMouse1 Tue 04-Mar-14 19:37:50

Up to you. But most people in hostels are perfectly fine, so don't worry about it.

NewtRipley Tue 04-Mar-14 19:41:11

You don't have to share rooms in hostels anymore, do you? I doubt places would be chocka at this time of year.

However, YANBU

My terrible hostelling take was in a place in Amsterdam, with older boyfriend (I was 18). Place was v scary and dirty - we ended up opting to share with a group of Italian girls who were also terrified, and we barricaded the door. I woke up in the night covered in blood, having what I now know was a miscarriage.

Depressing as hell

NewtRipley Tue 04-Mar-14 19:41:27

tale, not take

tripecity Tue 04-Mar-14 20:20:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now