Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not give my Ds a bottle to calm him down? Ongoing tantrum/crying fit.

(21 Posts)
Honesttodog Tue 04-Mar-14 15:40:01

Trying not to give bottles any more but it's been weeks and I know he still misses it,
He is2 1/2
He has just woken u p and immediately went into a screaming snotty hissyfit, lying in the floor kicking feet. His behaviour has been absolutely disgusting all day. I have had a tension headache for hours trying not to lose it at him or smack. His rude grumpy attitude is exhausting. He says no to everything. But he is too frigging old for bottles ! He was on a nubby soft teat soppy cup before .

jenniferlawrence Tue 04-Mar-14 15:43:07

I wouldn't personally. You should bin all the bottles. Does he still drink from a Nuby sippy cup? Does he have any kind of comforter that'll help sooth him?

Would you usually smack when you lose it with him?

Sortyourmakeupout Tue 04-Mar-14 15:44:33

Pick your battles op.

My dd used to love a bottle and I literally had to prize it out of her hands.

To wean her I stopped putting milk in it and eventually cut the test off and she lost all interest.

TheXxed Tue 04-Mar-14 15:45:47

I remember my HV saying that babies should move on from bottles at 6months, so I wouldn't go back to using a bottle.

Try looking at his diet remove processed and sugary food and see if it helps

Honesttodog Tue 04-Mar-14 15:48:42

No don't usually smack. , but he has really pushed me today. Don't like to get rid of them in case of needing them in hosp. Dd was v ill when small, could happen again and they tend to regress when I'll. usually a snack calms him but when in a rage he won't accept anything. He is now snacking calmly but took a good 20 min of crying to get there.

Offler Tue 04-Mar-14 15:48:53

I don't have any experience with persuading a toddler to give up bottles, but I did have to persuade DD at age 3 to give up her dummy.

Did you involve him in the decision at all, or was it just a case of 'Mummy says'? We made the decision together, she helped dispose of the dummies by posting them to father christmas (this was in the summer) so he could make them into new dummies for the new babies as she was too big for them now.

It was a tough first night, 2+ hrs of crying, but eventually got to sleep and was fine.

As you've started now, it probably wouldnt be good to back down, but could you try and make some sort of reward chart once he's calmed down? i.e. every time he has milk out of a cup he gets a sticker, so many stickers = a treat of some sort?

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Mar-14 15:49:12

dd used to often wake up in a crappy mood. Not much you can do about it until it blows over. I wouldnt go back to bottles now, I'd bin them. How about a sports cup type bottle - my 2 liked them at that age

ageofgrandillusion Tue 04-Mar-14 15:49:52

I'd give him one. Buys you some peace and, seriously, what does it matter?

Honesttodog Tue 04-Mar-14 15:50:09

He is already weaned, I just would like him to calm the fuck down when he wakes up.

MeepMeepVrooom Tue 04-Mar-14 15:50:55

I would bin the bottles. Remove the option and temptation. He doesn't need them.

Honesttodog Tue 04-Mar-14 15:51:20

Does anyone know if 2.5 is a testosterone surge time??

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Mar-14 15:51:48

as I said dd was often like this when she woke up and there was nothing you could do to calm her down and it had to just blow over. Interacting with her often made it worse. Does he still need a nap? (ds had given his up by age 2)

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Mar-14 15:52:19

it's terrible 2's time more like!

Honesttodog Tue 04-Mar-14 15:55:53

He is a stubborn little bugger. Has basically refused milk as a drink since I "lost" the bottle.

Honesttodog Tue 04-Mar-14 15:56:45

Yes he needs a bloody nap!

ilovepowerhoop Tue 04-Mar-14 15:58:48

is that for you or for him? wink

Offler Tue 04-Mar-14 15:59:10

He doesn't need milk as a drink now though does he? Not if he has a good and varied diet.

Neither of my children would drink milk out of any container, so once I stopped bf, that was it!

Honesttodog Tue 04-Mar-14 16:01:33

He still Asks for naps so he not ready to drop.

Brucietheshark Tue 04-Mar-14 16:01:33

Oh god, both mine were terrible after a nap at that sort of age. Grimness lasted well over half an hour each time, sometimes more.

I wondered if it was a small measure of payback for what I'm like in the mornings.

I think cuddles (if they'll accept them) and ignoring was the ONLY thing I could ever do. Sometimes food helped if they would accept it. I did find waking from naps in the car often tended to be less painful. I used to drive a lot.

TallulahMcFey Tue 04-Mar-14 16:03:22

I would choose my battles. I took a bottle away from my DD2 when she was 2 or younger that she was drinking milk from in the morning and at bedtime and she stopped drinking milk altogether. Consequently my 3 yr 3 month son has a bottle of milk when waking and before going to bed and is v happy and so am I. Obviously at some stage soonish I will have to change this but for the moment we are fine. When I do, I don't think i will have any problems but he enjoys drinking out of a bottle when tired and I don't want to take that comfort away.

Honesttodog Tue 04-Mar-14 16:04:05

Diet a struggle as had to eliminate dairy. So he's now more hungry.

As well as being ridiculously fucking grumpy. Like his mother, apparently. Am going to take some panadol. And pick up dd. and try to not be so irritated with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now