Talk

Advanced search

To put a dog bed on their front porch?

(20 Posts)
KeatsiePie Tue 04-Mar-14 08:15:01

Or else to knock on the door and ask them to for fuck's sake let it inside? Neighbor's dog is outside crying. I'm not in the UK, it's two in the morning, and I can't bring myself to knock, they have little kids.

I did knock once a while back when it was colder than it is tonight, and the guy was okay about it, not exactly concerned, and I knocked that time b/c it was whining outside my house. But again it was not two a.m. The dog is a Husky, and I know they're supposed to be good in cold weather, so maybe it's okay -- It is 10 F here, so I think about -12 C -- but it's miserable. I can't hear it inside, but heard it a while ago when I took the trash out and it was crying then. I just stepped outside to check and it's getting howly. It just sounds so sad.

So, would IBU to sneak up and leave a dog bed and blanket on their porch for it? They'd probably know it was me, everyone else around here is tougher about animals (country living) and I'm afraid they'd be offended and/or think I'm insane. Maybe I should just leave it?

HoratiaDrelincourt Tue 04-Mar-14 08:26:21

Their dog is keeping you awake, and you're worrying about waking them up?

Is he just loose? Most outdoor dogs have some kind of shack/kennel/shelter.

sad

KeatsiePie Tue 04-Mar-14 08:28:43

He's not keeping me up, I can only hear him if I go outside.

He is just loose, no doghouse. They are really relaxed about it hmm They only moved here a few months ago and had two dogs then, but the other one wasn't used to living on a real road (they were even further isolated before) and he got hit by a car and killed within a week.

I kind of hate them.

MyBodyIsAtemplate Tue 04-Mar-14 08:34:36

oh that would really upset me as am a big softie too.

not sure if these dogs are ok at that temp but still sounds cruel anyway.

I would be so tempted to make a nest of blankets for him in my garden and let him sleep there.

am in the UK and our cats arnt out at night if it's just chilli.

KeatsiePie Tue 04-Mar-14 08:40:54

Yeah, I am the same, so maybe I am overreacting, but it's really cold out and we are covered up with snow.

I wish I could lure him into my garage to sleep, would leave the door open, but he won't come in -- tried that last time. He's very loyal and knows he has to stay by his house.

Briefly contemplated driving up the road honking so that they wake up and let him in but that would wake everyone and I would feel ridiculous.

MyBodyIsAtemplate Tue 04-Mar-14 08:43:03

yes I would do that or set off an alarm.

are there animal welfare services that you could inform?

awaynboilyurheid Tue 04-Mar-14 08:45:39

Could you give them some blankets and tell them the poor dog is keeping you awake say it looks really sad and guilt them into letting it in or at least stay warm in porch , not sure where you are , is there any animal welfare organisations you could contact that might have a word?

KeatsiePie Tue 04-Mar-14 08:56:21

I looked it up earlier, whether Huskies are okay outside in this kind of weather. Seems like they can be okay, but need a shelter and water, which this dog does not have. I really don't think I can bring myself to drive up the road honking. I feel like I should, but then again I keep reminding myself that I did look it up and the dog will not die tonight, so I can wait for tomorrow. It's just hard to wait.

I wasn't sure about calling the ASPCA (animal welfare here) as I thought that it had to be more extreme than this, like severe neglect. But I think I'll call them in the morning just to see.

awayn that's sort of what I was thinking -- if I could leave it for tonight, I could walk up tomorrow and say that I noticed the dog is often cold at night and would they like this extra dog bed and blanket. I feel like if I offer it to them upfront as if I was getting rid of the bed anyway, rather than sneak up and leave it there now, they will be more likely to let the dog keep the bed as they won't feel criticized.

KeatsiePie Tue 04-Mar-14 09:22:45

Okay, have gone and stood outside twice and heard nothing, so I think he must have gotten in and I can go to bed finally. Will walk up tomorrow w/the dog bed.

winterhat Tue 04-Mar-14 09:36:42

Yes, call the RSPCA. The law has changed so that owners now have a duty of care to their animals. It used to be that worse things used to happen before the RSPCA could legally do anything.

profplumagain Tue 04-Mar-14 12:10:25

RSPCA: the OP is not in the Uk :-(

winterhat Tue 04-Mar-14 12:33:17

Oh I'd missed that prof.

FoodieToo Tue 04-Mar-14 13:19:36

Oh my goodness, I'd be letting the dog into my house.
That is dreadful.
Why do people have pets and not seem to care for them?
We love our dog as a member of the family.

Pottytrainer Tue 04-Mar-14 16:35:52

Move it to your garden .... Let it keep your neighbours up. That would show them.

ShowMeYourTARDIS Tue 04-Mar-14 17:39:17

My dog will cry if left outside at night, even when it's warm. He just wants to be in with us. So he sleeps inside even though he would be perfectly fine outside as he has a very nice doghouse.

The husky doesn't have water?!? If you're in the US, call Animal Control and maybe ASPCA. Depending on where you live, AC may not care.

KeatsiePie Tue 04-Mar-14 18:50:32

ShowMe that makes sense. I wouldn't have a dog sleeping outside in a doghouse but I don't think it's wrong to do so, it's just not my style. But there's no doghouse and I've never seen a water bowl out there, I think he has food and water in the house. Which is fine as long as he's able to go in.

I'm going to walk the dog bed up there this eve. and just say I have an extra and thought he might like it for cold nights.

ShowMeYourTARDIS Tue 04-Mar-14 19:31:41

It does seem quite cold for the dog to be outside. I wouldn't leave my dog outside during the winter, ever. Granted, I live in a fairly mild climate and (insane) people camp in the winter without much trouble.

The water would freeze, and I can't imagine the owners shelling out for a heated water bowl. Dogs (well, all animals) should have access to fresh, clean water at all times, even when they prefer to drink out of a nasty manky puddle. And leaving him without shelter seems cruel. I don't know if it's against the law, as it varies SO much across the country.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Tue 04-Mar-14 19:37:31

i'd steal him

ShowMeYourTARDIS Tue 04-Mar-14 19:39:11

YoureBeingASillyBilly grin
me too

I already have one ginormous, hairy, howling beast, what's one more?

YoureBeingASillyBilly Tue 04-Mar-14 19:40:49

Exactly- more heating for my toes in bed. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now