Talk

Advanced search

AIBU- Shrove Tuesday dilemma!

(26 Posts)
bellethebaker Mon 03-Mar-14 21:54:33

So, DP isn't keen on having "sweet" pancakes for Shrove Tuesday (even though it is only once a year. I'm desperate to have pancakes in some form tomorrow and after racking my brain trying to come up with a savoury version, thought of Chinese style pancakes with hoisin duck.
WIBU to make this for us both? The pancakes have no egg or sugar in them- surely missing the point of Shrove Tuesday?
Is this too untraditional to be a "proper" pancake day dish?? Or, better still, could anyone recommend a nice savoury traditional-esque pancake recipe?

Thank you!!

ShatnersBassoon Mon 03-Mar-14 21:56:49

Make them how you like them. He doesn't have to partake, but I'd be amazed if he resists once you start tossing grin

WhenDoISleep Mon 03-Mar-14 21:57:08

It's not traditional, but I saw this the other day and thought it looked fun.

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 03-Mar-14 21:57:23

Ham and mushrooms in cream sauce?

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 03-Mar-14 21:58:00

Alternatively, Yorkshire puddings are basically risen pancakes, so you could have toad in the hole?

17leftfeet Mon 03-Mar-14 21:58:34

Pancakes go with stew

It's a classic

youbethemummylion Mon 03-Mar-14 22:00:03

Spinach and Ricotta pancakes. Roll the pancakes up filled with spinach and ricotta put in baking dish cover with tomato based pasta sauce, parmesan shavings on top in the iven for 25mins. Lovely.

Joysmum Mon 03-Mar-14 22:00:20

Whoever cooks, gets to make what they want.

I just go with standard pancakes DH does them as I've never been successful and quickly start swearing and we have a variety of toppings and choose what we want. That reminds me, must get bananas and Nutella.

SquidTableau Mon 03-Mar-14 22:01:05

I made these last year https://www.webchild.com.au/family-feeds/recipes/smoky-maple-pancetta-fluffy-corn-a-chilli-pancakes then sweet ones for pudding. Lovely.

Pipbin Mon 03-Mar-14 22:01:20

I have one of these: www.accessories.home-and-cook.com/seb/ie/en/tefal/table_top_cooking/crep_party_dual_py60 and often have savoury crepes for a dinner party.

I love, cheddar with pesto, bacon and mushroom.

Binkyridesagain Mon 03-Mar-14 22:02:18

Lasagne using pancakes instead of pasta.

Chocotrekkie Mon 03-Mar-14 22:02:50

We have tuna and cheese and then loads of chocolate spread ones

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Mon 03-Mar-14 22:03:01

can't you do a few of both?

I'll be making every type of pancake under the sun tomorrow.

[greedy pig emoticon]

starkadder Mon 03-Mar-14 22:03:19

Just ham and cheese. Yum. Then lemon and sugar for pudding.

lyrasdaemo Mon 03-Mar-14 22:03:37

Use a normal pancake recipe,throw some grated cheese over when you've flipped the first time, let it melt and serve...

fifi669 Mon 03-Mar-14 22:03:37

LTB! wink

SometimesLonely Mon 03-Mar-14 22:04:47

Grated cheese and warm honey drizzles over them.

Or mix the grated cheese into the pancake mixture and drizzle honey on when it's in a plate.

Blueuggboots Mon 03-Mar-14 22:07:03

Here's an idea -

Don't cook pancakes???

Blueuggboots Mon 03-Mar-14 22:07:40

Or tell him to go to the chippy and then cook yourself every single type of pancake you can think of!!

Amy106 Mon 03-Mar-14 22:08:42

Potato pancakes are delicious!

galletti Mon 03-Mar-14 22:09:25

We always do the classic pancakes, lemon juice and sugar for dd and whoever is around, followed by a garlicky creamy mushroomy/chicken thing in ours for dinner. And actually have them about five or six times a year. A pancake isn't just for Shrove Tuesday!

WooWooOwl Mon 03-Mar-14 22:10:39

Have a look at this menu for inspiration.

Last time we went I has crispy bacon and spinach. It was gorgeous.

You know it's ok for you and DH not to have the same toppings right?

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Mon 03-Mar-14 22:47:42

I think they are delicious with ham and mushrooms and a creamy sauce, spinach and ricotta or a Bolognaise-type sauce .....

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 03-Mar-14 22:51:10

Use buckwheat flour instead of regular flour to get lovely savoury galettes like you get in Brittany. Then go for the crepe complete slice of ham, cheese then crack an egg in, fold insides flip over yummy. Plus as a coeliac buckwheat is great as it is gluten free.

JoinYourPlayfellows Mon 03-Mar-14 22:52:22

Make the sweet pancakes you want and he can sort out his own food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now