Talk

Advanced search

to be upset by school. Again.

(18 Posts)
Madmartigan Mon 03-Mar-14 18:25:46

Okay so to be fair school is for ds, not me. But an invitation comes homes in school bag today for grandparents to come in for book day related reading on WEDNESDAY. Day after tomorrow. And if they can't make it parents are welcome. With this notice, none of can make it. We'd all love to go, but what planet do teachers inhabit.? Doubt they could book time off work at that notice so why do they think everyone else can? Hope Ds is not the only one without a family member to share reading time with. Seriously, are my expectations too high if I think they should give us more than a day's notice?

BitsinTatters Mon 03-Mar-14 18:28:24

I feel for you

My dds school is just like this. Often ransom requests the night before or open morning / share afternoon with a days notice. Can't take smaller siblings (understandable) but means I can't find child care / get holiday in time.

WorraLiberty Mon 03-Mar-14 18:29:00

Out of a class of 30, there were only ever around 5 or 6 parents who would/could attend these things...that's probably why they're including grandparents now.

Because I was a SAHM with no pre-schoolers, I would make it in every week and read to a little group...as would the other parents who could make it.

Honestly don't worry about it. I'm sure there will be parents who can't take time off work, or who have pre-schoolers so they won't make it in either.

DescribeTheRuckus Mon 03-Mar-14 18:29:51

YANBU. This seems to be chronic in some schools...last minute invitations! We have the same problem, though in our case, it tends to be one class teacher who forgets to distribute info out to the children!

PeaceEagle Mon 03-Mar-14 18:30:50

YANBU. If you are going to invite people in, give them some notice or don't bother!

YoureBeingASillyBilly Mon 03-Mar-14 18:31:14

I doubt your ds will be the inly one without an adult there. I was in primary in the 90's and dont recall ever having a day that parents/grandoarents came in to school. Its very short notice to arrange!

Madmartigan Mon 03-Mar-14 18:33:59

Thank you, I read these things and assume everyone else is going along to these things ang generally fitting the mould better than me, and ds loses out.

HadABadDay2014 Mon 03-Mar-14 18:36:11

Could anybody go, my sister used to go for me.

Madmartigan Mon 03-Mar-14 18:39:58

There's no one that can sub for us, nearest family an hour away with three busy boys of their own to worry about. May be schools can't honestly be arsed with parents milling around so they do it last minute, then they can tsay they involve families. I am literate, it's the tablet.

MammaTJ Mon 03-Mar-14 18:42:16

If it's anything like my DCs school, the parents who work make the effort (time off allowing) but the ones who didn't work don't bother.

Don't give me the waffle about not knowing their circumstances because some of them have told me they can't be bothered!

Your child will certainly not be the only one with no one there and they usually manage to have a lovely time anyway.

maillotjaune Mon 03-Mar-14 18:45:55

Our school is getting much better at giving notice but sometimes things slip through the net. YANBU to be annoyed but honestly, your child will never be the only one without a parent or grandparent so try not to get upset.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Mon 03-Mar-14 18:57:34

I have to find a book my DC will part with before tomorrow, got told today. My DC will not part with anything cos they are materialistic wee horrors, so even if I send them in with a book, they might come back with the same one. Had I been told on Friday I may have been able to talk them round over the weekend.

Can I just say how much I love your username OP? grin

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 03-Mar-14 19:01:00

That's crap sad

Our school is getting much better after a run of 24-48h notice for things that needed preparation (costumes, etc).

We also aren't dressing up at all for WBD - the children are to take their favourite books in instead.

Who'd have thought it? Focusing on books on World Book Day... grin

Tobagostreet Mon 03-Mar-14 19:02:12

It's a difficult one - I see both sides.

Its frustrating as a working parent to miss events as too short notice is given.

Often at our DS's school, when events are notified too far in advance (anything more than a week), parents forget and don't turn up.sad

It's a catch 22 for schools sometimes. They're maybe just trying to get the balance right, and are sure as hell going to fail for one section of parents.

Oubliette0292 Mon 03-Mar-14 19:06:00

YANBU
DS's school often send a text message about this type of event the evening beforehand. Drives me insane. Their record was a text message at 11am inviting me to attend his class assembly at 2.30pm.

Shartibartfast Mon 03-Mar-14 19:12:57

YANBU. Why don't you raise it politely with the Headteacher - I sometimes think that teachers can forget the logistics of booking times off / arranging childcare at short notice. Perhaps a short note asking whether a bit more notice could be given ton enable wider participation.

HoratiaDrelincourt Mon 03-Mar-14 19:14:25

Our school's improved system involves dates for diary at the beginning of term, a reminder in the newsletter or book bag the week before, and a text on the day. Works for us.

MyBodyIsAtemplate Mon 03-Mar-14 19:26:17

they do it on purpose so they don't get hoards turning up. some parents would come and bring both sets of GPs and it's a free for all

it's carefully planned. I am a TA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now