Talk

Advanced search

To just feel like sacking off my OU course?

(53 Posts)
Sparklysilversequins Mon 03-Mar-14 17:41:34

I am feeling very disheartened. At Level 1 I was getting between 68 and 78, never higher. At level 2 the same. Tutor says I am doing well and just to read the essay marking to improve. I think I have done better each TMA then it's another 70. I am learning loads but don't seem to be improving. I am disheartened. I missed a TMA last week for family reasons and they wouldn't extend any further. I just feel like sacking it off to be honest. I can pick it back up but my grade won't be that good because of the missed essay. I have two kids with ASD also and am a lone parent. Last thing I feel like doing is studying once they're finally asleep.

Enthusiasm is nil right now sad.

SackAndCrack Mon 03-Mar-14 17:44:37

68-78%?

Sparklysilversequins Mon 03-Mar-14 17:46:21

Yes.

TantrumsAndBalloons Mon 03-Mar-14 17:48:15

You only need an overall score of 40 to pass the TMA part, and 40 on the EMA so in fairness you are passing comfortably. You should feel proud of what you have achieved, you are doing really well.

It's hard going, I'm working full time and I've just finished 2 modules and have another 2 starting next couple of weeks, I don't feel like studying sometimes but I try and think of what I am doing it for IYSWIM.

OOAOML Mon 03-Mar-14 17:48:42

Check if your course offers substitution - and also have a look at the website, I'm pretty sure I remember there being links for people to contact if you need help. Try calling your regional office, they should have people there who can help you get advice. If things are really difficult just now they may be able to bank the work you have done and let you carry on at the next course presentation. Or they may be able to find a way to deal with the current missed TMA situation and move forward.

Sevensev Mon 03-Mar-14 17:49:18

Am I right in thinking that, to pass overall, the mark has to be above 80?

I have a friend who struggled with this too. And I think she too is on the verge of giving up, so I have been waiting for a thread like this to come up. [the friend is not you btw!]

wonderpants Mon 03-Mar-14 17:49:25

You are doing brilliantly! I've been in this place a few times and had a phone call with my tutor which has always helped motivate me! Are you working towards a particular qualification or goal?
Seriously though, really good marks for someone with a busy real life!

lilola Mon 03-Mar-14 17:50:10

A pass is 40 isn't it? I know at the uni I went to a pass was 40 and 65+ was a merit or something (which seems really low but suited me!). Is OU different? will you regret not sticking it out? Sounds like you've put in a good amount of time already, it would be a shame to get nothing at the end of it

NatashaBee Mon 03-Mar-14 17:50:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

wonderpants Mon 03-Mar-14 17:50:47

What module are you doing? Maybe one of us is doing or has done it?

Thetallesttower Mon 03-Mar-14 17:52:31

I think the OU has a slightly different marking structure, perhaps over 80 is a first? I don't work for them so unsure.

I think you have to write down a list of reasons why you decided to do this, and a list of reasons why you don't want to do it. You need to see if you can get back in touch with your original motivation for doing this.

Sometimes students get a bit in the mind-set 'if I can't do really well, I won't do it at all'. I would say that consistency and plodding along is better for grades in the long run than doing something sparkling, then missing assignments (as the first 40-50% of the grade is the easiest marks, they are giving those away as long as you are writing something).

I would chat with your tutor, make your list and be realistic about whether you still want to commit to this- if you do, good luck!

daisychain01 Mon 03-Mar-14 17:54:39

Sparkling, I wouldn't be so concerned about just marks - if you get an accreditation at the end of your hard work, and you learn loads, try to see the bigger picture, it isn't about marks - in the grand scheme they are meaningless.

Get the qualification in the bag, however you can, and use that the way you intended when you first started the course.

Learning is a journey not a destination!!

TantrumsAndBalloons Mon 03-Mar-14 17:55:05

As far as I know, it's 80 overall so 40 overall for the TMAs and 40 for the EMA is a pass.
Level 1 marks don't count towards the overall degree classification on my course, a pass is a pass, whether it's 40 or 99, I don't know if it's the same for all of them.

wonderpants Mon 03-Mar-14 17:56:39

85% is a first
70-85% is a 2:1
55-70% is a 2:2
40-55% is a third

Chin up, you sound like you are doing brilliantly in difficult circumstances!!

Have you looked at the detail of the course marking? One of mine had some thing where they essentially disregard your lowest-marked TMA in some complicated way.

WilsonFrickett Mon 03-Mar-14 18:01:11

I think you are doing amazingly with a 70 average and wonder why you don't see that? Did you always cruse A grades at school? I did and when I started OU I was disappointed in myself for hitting 70s, but then my tutor pointed out I was doing it part-time, not always with enough time, working on my own, etc etc.

I think you are being ridiculously hard on yourself, you are on course to pass very highly. Hyper perfectionism doesn't co-exist well with real life I'm afraid.

WilsonFrickett Mon 03-Mar-14 18:03:31

Are you using the forums properly? You can set up private forums where you can share work and get feedback too.

SwayingBranches Mon 03-Mar-14 18:03:49

I would think those marks are good, they're what I got for most of my degree. On the 4th course I started hitting 80. Have you seen how your degree is weighted, I came out with a 2:1 because I did better on my level 3 courses.

I think you're doing really well in your situation!

bishbashboosh Mon 03-Mar-14 18:09:02

Oooh i am studying can you really set up private forums as I get v frustrated with the dull chit chat and not be I g able to say anything!

Op I think you're doing really well? I'm the same as you a perfectionist but please keep going if you give up you will totally regret it. Even if you don't do as well as you hooed if you graduate it will open options for further study

I'm feeling the same too, got two Level 1 modules finishing shortly and one of them I think I have let slide too far, it really hasn't gripped me like the others I've done. Plus I'm feeling unwell and got a lot of other stuff on. I don't intend finishing the degree (I only intended doing one module and got lured in by the transitional funding) but I did hope to finish Level 1.

MadBusLady Mon 03-Mar-14 18:22:39

Sparkly if I had a quid for every time I raged and cried and threatened to quit the course I recently finished because it was hard and I couldn't give it enough time and I wasn't doing well enough... er, I'd have about £28. Not to be sniffed at.

Getting high marks is not the only challenge with mature education. Doing it at all is part of the challenge. It's just something we have to accept when we're no longer 19 with no responsibilities and all the time in the world to devote to perfectionism.

Picture yourself a year's hence. Will you give a flying fuck about what marks you got, as long as you passed the thing and can put it on your CV? You will not. My first degree(s) done at the normal age were scintillating academically, but I'm prouder of the less great one I just finished because I had to dig deeper for it.

TantrumsAndBalloons Mon 03-Mar-14 18:43:05

I think remembering why you are doing it really helpful.

I am not driving myself crazy about marks. I am doing it because when I was 18 and a few months into my degree I became pregnant with dd.
and I always said- one day I will finish my degree.

16 years and 3 DCs later...I am finally doing it
And I will finish it.
If I come out with a third, that's fine. Because I will have my degree.

Sparklysilversequins Mon 03-Mar-14 18:54:54

Ok. You're all right. A 70% average is pretty good really under the circumstances and yes I am getting to do it under the old fee arrangements so basically for free. Time to knuckle down and stop whining. I am literally half way through and next year will be easier because I will only have one module to do not the two I had to do this year because I pissed about the first year and didn't complete a module blush. It's a subject I love and I am lucky to be doing it.

RiojaHaze Mon 03-Mar-14 19:08:11

I'm halfway into my first year and averaging at the same level as you. I find the forums intimidating as they all seem to be really getting stuff that I don't and have a better level of understanding....but I haven't studied for 15 years, I have 3 DCs and a job so fuck it, I'm proud of this 70% and you should be too!
What course are you doing?

WilsonFrickett Mon 03-Mar-14 19:40:41

bishbosh yes, it's pretty easy. You ask in your student cafe if anyone is interested - be clear about what you want to get out of it so you don't get time wasters. Then you set up a forum (I can't remember how to do it but I did it so it must be easy!), invite the people along who said they were interested and that's it.

Just check with your cafe mod first, I was on an arts course so feedback was one of the study skills we were supposed to practice, but double check the rules for your course. The forum I was on was about 20 people who all gave it a good amount of time and effort and it helped enormously.

Op it could also be that this particular module isn't grabbing you, or your tutor may not be giving you particularly good feedback. But keep going!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now