Talk

Advanced search

Aiu to think dogs saliva is dirty

(27 Posts)
drnoitall Mon 03-Mar-14 16:08:15

I have nothing against dogs, but this disgusted me and I phoned to complain to the manager.
Wibu?
I was waiting to pay for my milk, bread and eggs in my local shop, the person in front of me was waiting at the till whilst the cashier feeds the customers dog a biscuit, the dog is small and carried under the persons arm. So I wait to pay whilst the dog licks the cashiers hand clean of all biscuit crumbs.

Unfortunately I know the dog owner and do not want to offend her so say nothing but grimace as the cashier picks up and scans my bread, milk and eggs.

When I get home I feel very annoyed at having to wash the milk bottle and change the bread bag to rid my food of traces of dog saliva.

Is this U behaviour?

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 16:09:41

I think it's a bit OTT to wash them.

Yes dog saliva is gross but it was probably dry by the time she touched your things hence not transferred at all.

They probably picked up worse germs from the shelf or in the warehouse, lorry etc before they came into the shop.

Crowler Mon 03-Mar-14 16:10:16

It's not great for a customer-facing role, but our corner shop is overrun with mice. I assume everything I buy there is filthy. I doubt this is the worst that your food has seen, sadly.

BackOnlyBriefly Mon 03-Mar-14 16:10:41

That IS disgusting. I doubt dog saliva is in itself dirty, but a) you don't want anyone's saliva on your food and b) they lick things on the pavement you don't want to think about.

hairypaws Mon 03-Mar-14 16:12:01

Not ideal but let's be honest loads of folk still don't wash their hands after going to the loo, give me dog slabber over that any day!

HotPanda Mon 03-Mar-14 16:13:54

Had she been touching the actual foodstuff - ie making you a sandwich without gloves, then no, you would not be being unreasonable.

However, since the packaging would have not been in a sterile enviroment at all then YABU.

BTW, do you know where eggs actually come from?

squeakytoy Mon 03-Mar-14 16:14:21

I dont think dog saliva can penetrate a milk bottle, or a bread bag... grip needed.

You have no idea how many rats or mice have scampered over either item already..

Scuttlebutter Mon 03-Mar-14 16:16:34

But presumably your milk, bread and eggs were all packaged? Arguably, eggs are effectively double packaged anyway, with a box and then the shell for each egg. OK, she should probably have washed her hands or used a squirt of antibac wipes but simply by handling cash from customers her hands will be a thriving mass of lovely creatures. She probably thinks (with some logic) that since she is not directly handling foodstuffs, there is not a problem.

Canidae Mon 03-Mar-14 16:19:02

Do you ever think of the journey your food goes on before it gets to you? I work in a supermaket and just handling the trays the bread comes in makes my hands black.

Each product gets handled by many people from factory to shelf. You don't know about the hygiene of each person.

ilovedogsandcats Mon 03-Mar-14 16:21:45

If the dog is not some sort of assistance dog I don't think it should really be in the shop.
Having said that, your reaction is a bit ott?

OneStepCloser Mon 03-Mar-14 16:24:41

YABU and OTT.

drnoitall Mon 03-Mar-14 16:25:01

Thanks for your replies.
I still think it's gross, dry dog saliva doesn't become sterile therefore I washed the bottle because she has touched my food seconds after the dog licked her hand clean of biscuit she was feeding it from the palm of her hand.

drnoitall Mon 03-Mar-14 16:26:08

Thanks sneaky, would you let a dog lick your plate clean then?

YoureBeingASillyBilly Mon 03-Mar-14 16:30:02

Yes dog saliva is dirty. They lick their arses, eat other dogs' poo, chew on all sorts. I speak as a dog owner and woyldnt have liked that either op.

Booboostoo Mon 03-Mar-14 16:33:43

Sounds like you've had no contact with food production! Don't even think about what wild animals do to your vegetables, or conditions in food processing plants - you'll never eat again.

HotPanda Mon 03-Mar-14 16:42:01

Do you always wash milk bottles? You know milk comes from farms, which aren't exactly clean either.

I don't think there was anything you could "catch" that would make you unwell from a bit of 2nd hand dog lick.

squoosh Mon 03-Mar-14 16:47:35

Not great for someone in a customer facing role but if it's any comfort most of the bacteria in the dog's saliva are dog specific and won't affect humans.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Mon 03-Mar-14 16:54:27

If she's handling money then her hands will be crawling with harmful bacteria - coins especially are covered in them. And, as other people have mentioned, it's highly likely that rats and mice will have crawled all over the stuff you bought while it was in storage.

Also, yes, where do you think eggs come from? The ones I buy usually have bits of poo stuck to them.

sparechange Mon 03-Mar-14 16:55:47

Yes, dog saliva is a bit gross, which is why I don't let dogs lick my face
But washing the outside of a milk bottle?
Have you seen the men who do the deliveries to shops? If they wash their hands after going to the loo, I'll eat my hat...

BertieBotts Mon 03-Mar-14 17:00:26

It's not sterile no but the milk carton isn't sterile either confused

If there was actual slimy dog spit on the milk bottle handle when I went to touch it then yes I would complain but other than that no.

everlong Mon 03-Mar-14 17:03:20

People scratch their arse hole and pick their nose then pay with a £10 note. You might get that note. Then eat something.

Dogs saliva is nothing!

JonSnowsPout Mon 03-Mar-14 17:03:36

Id be more worried about the coins and notes you touch.

Think of all the thousands of dirty non hand washers that have touched them first.

The milk is in a bottle and unless you lick the bottle its fine

EvenBetter Mon 03-Mar-14 17:17:47

The money would have been far far filthiest than spit. All banknotes have at least a trace of:blood, faeces and cocaine on them. Plus viruses.

Technical Mon 03-Mar-14 17:23:20

Actually I'm surprised the dog was even allowed in the shop but yes your milk bottle Will have been through much worse before you bought it and the hand that handles money all day would have been filthy and germ infested anyway

Canidae Mon 03-Mar-14 17:29:34

I don't think little, local shops are as strict as other places. I have often seen people popping in ours with a terrier under their arm. The preivous owners had a golden retriever who would sleep behind the counter and knock the displays with his tail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now