Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How the hell do you keep on top of roots?

(79 Posts)
monkeynuts123 Mon 03-Mar-14 13:57:51

It's £40 a time at the hairdressers to do my roots and my hair grows so quickly the grey roots are visible after 6 weeks (I'm only 30!). How do you do it? I don't want to dye all my hair every time otherwise it will go like a brush but how do you just do the roots?

ilovepowerhoop Mon 03-Mar-14 14:10:29

I do it at home so its only £5/£6 a time

Finola1step Mon 03-Mar-14 14:12:11

At home too. Quick, easy and cheap.

Awks Mon 03-Mar-14 14:13:39

I go to the hairdresser every 2-3 months but my roots are visible after 3 weeks so in between I do my parting and round temple and ears myself with a cheap dye, usining one of the bowl and brush sets from poundland. It works fine and I cant really tell the difference in colour between my bit and the salon bit!

really1234 Mon 03-Mar-14 14:14:57

I do it at home too as mine look bad after about 3 weeks (I am 41).

I would start with a root touch up kit and then just use normal colour kits when you've got the hang of it a bit better. Make sure you but a separate tinting brush and do it in the same way as they do in the salon with neat sections.

LoonvanBoon Mon 03-Mar-14 15:05:40

I also do it at home with a root touch-up kit (clairol nice & easy) every 4-6 weeks. I've also just bought some powder which you can supposedly brush on - Wow root cover-up or something - but haven't tried it yet.

LoonvanBoon Mon 03-Mar-14 15:15:11

The touch-up kit I use contains a brush / comb applicator so you can just put the dye where you need it - eg. at the parting / temples. I find it very easy to use & it blends remarkably well with the rest of your hair.

My roots are showing after about 3 weeks now, though, hence the powder purchase, as there's no way I can be arsed to dye it more frequently than I already am.

smoothieooo Mon 03-Mar-14 15:20:15

Last week I had to do an emergency root cover up with the Clairol kit - I've just started going to the hairdressers to have it done after years of colouring it myself (with patchy results). The trouble is, I have a really sensitive scalp so I know that although the dye itself will look great, I'll have weeks of head scratching and it's bloody expensive! Plus my roots show after 3 weeks. Sometimes, the thought of having a nice wig to plonk on top of my own hair is very appealing...

LokiDokey Mon 03-Mar-14 15:35:49

At home. I use Superdrug foam colour (cheap and very good coverage I've found) and in between I use the Loreal [http://raspberry-rouge.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/loreal-mousse-absolue-first-reusuable.html Mousse absolute]] which is brilliant.

I have very dark hair and I have been known to whack on a bit of mascara on the greys as well wink

LokiDokey Mon 03-Mar-14 15:36:17

Link fail....

raspberry-rouge.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/loreal-mousse-absolue-first-reusuable.html

ChinaChef Mon 03-Mar-14 15:41:38

I don't. Dyeing grey hair is a mug's game. Good cut, good condition. That's all you need.

HelloBoys Mon 03-Mar-14 15:44:01

I have dirty blonde (ash?) hair so have to get the bloody hairs highlighted...

however my friend who's greyer than I am and dark brown either dyes it herself or goes to salon at £££££££ a time.

I can't tell the difference between the home job and her job. If I had her colour etc I'd just do it at home.

HolidayArmadillo Mon 03-Mar-14 15:49:58

I hate my grey hair (I've had it since I was 20 and it's more white now) it gets me really down at the frequency it has to be coloured, especially when it's a lean month etc. Unfortunately I have highlights plus another colour so can't touch up at home.

LokiDokey Mon 03-Mar-14 15:52:04

A mugs game it may be but I'm sorry there is no way I was going to go grey in my early twenties.
Never understood what the problem is with dying hair tbh, anything that makes you feel better and gives you a little confidence is surely a good thing.

3lovelykids Mon 03-Mar-14 15:52:48

Super drug do dark brown dry shampoo it covers your roots a treat and a can is only £2 and lasts ages grin

HotPanda Mon 03-Mar-14 15:54:17

I have highlights/lowlights every 3 months and in between I do it at home just on the roots using the Nice and Easy kits.

SonorousBip Mon 03-Mar-14 15:57:57

The Colour WOW brush in stuff is fabbo, BTW. Its pricey but lasts for ever. Easy to use/get the hang of, stays put all day, doesn't smudge, completely natural looking (ooh, I feel like I'm in an advert).

Silverfoxballs Mon 03-Mar-14 15:58:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrsjay Mon 03-Mar-14 15:58:57

Super drug do dark brown dry shampoo it covers your roots a treat and a can is only £2 and lasts ages

what really >>to superdrug grin

I just let my roots come in do a flicky thing with my hair and just get it done every 4ish months, but I will be looking at that dry shampoo why has that never been advertised on tv confused

persimmon Mon 03-Mar-14 15:59:29

I honestly believe after 20years+ of dyeing my dark blonde hair lighter that home kits really are just as good as salon jobs these days. I used Olia last time and it gave a lovely, believable colour and didn't knacker the condition. The only times I've had a salon job I was disappointed!

3lovelykids Mon 03-Mar-14 16:44:22

Mrs jay I bought it because batiste dry shampoo makes my hair look dry! Then I realized you just could see my roots anymore . It is fantastic.

eggsandwich Mon 03-Mar-14 16:48:47

I too went grey at an early age in the end I dyed my hair blonde (originally brown) now its not so noticeable when the grey comes through.

SometimesLonely Mon 03-Mar-14 16:54:55

Another thought here. I used to dye mine at home until I realised what a mess I'd made of the bathroom flooring. Tried hairdressers but too dear for me. I now use the local technical college in the hairdressing department. I pay but it's nothing like a hairdressing salon price.

mrsjay Mon 03-Mar-14 17:14:51

3lovelykids is it superdrug own I have just hadmy hair done but i am in town tomorrow i am going tog et some

meddie Mon 03-Mar-14 17:14:58

Do it myself at home. Used to buy the root touch up kit. Now i just buy a normal kit and mix half of it in a bowl so i get a few uses out of a kit. The touch up kit was same price as a full kit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now