Talk

Advanced search

to think sally hawkins has been overlooked

(18 Posts)
LucyLasticBand Mon 03-Mar-14 13:13:01

she is a brit, and she was up for an oscar, and a bafta, but nobody talks about her.
she was marvellous in Made in Dagenham

BumpyGrindy Mon 03-Mar-14 13:18:51

Oh you're right but this is the industry. It's heavily skewed against women. sad

ConcreteElephant Mon 03-Mar-14 15:11:42

I haven't seen Made in Dagenham but I think she is superb in Happy-Go-Lucky. She does tend to sit under the radar a bit, I agree. Maybe she likes it that way? Crying shame if not.

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 03-Mar-14 15:13:17

She is great, isn't she? I don't think she seems that bothered about stardom and publicity though. And I probably like her even more for that.

LucyLasticBand Mon 03-Mar-14 16:02:12

oh i loved her in Happy go Lucky

hope you are right, that she prefers to stay out of the limelight, probably

LucyLasticBand Mon 03-Mar-14 16:02:28

but she should get awards!

Tabliope Mon 03-Mar-14 16:15:19

I agree with you. Cate Blanchett's acting in Blue Jasmine reminded me of her acting in The Talented Mr Ripley, sort of nervy.

LeslieKnope Mon 03-Mar-14 16:16:54

Sort of nervy?

Um....she was playing a character who was having an emotional breakdown confused.

Sally Hawkins was great too but Cate is in a different league. And I'm bored rigid of Meryl Streep and Judi bloody Dench with her atrocious Irish accent.

TheZeeTeam Mon 03-Mar-14 16:20:26

She seemed off her head when she was interviewed by ABC last night. I couldn't understand a word she was blabbing on about.

Tabliope Mon 03-Mar-14 16:20:49

Ha ha, Leslie, I realise that. It just reminded me of how she portrayed Meredith in The Talented Mr Ripley so I just didn't rate her performance.

LeslieKnope Mon 03-Mar-14 16:22:33

I liked her in Ripley. She didn't have much to do as Meredith but she did it well. And the costumes and styling are exquisite>

It's an underrated film. Really bloody good.

Tabliope Mon 03-Mar-14 16:27:01

I love the film. I haven't seen her in much that I remember but at times in Blue Jasmine it was like she was playing Meredith - at least it struck me like that.

HazeltheMcWitch Mon 03-Mar-14 19:04:19

I like Cate and I like Sally and supposedly they seem very (genuinely) friendly at all the awards etc.
And I like that too.

ThankYouDebbie Mon 03-Mar-14 20:16:23

Sally was in my class at school. She was nice and smiley. She used to wear her hair in two long french plaits every day of which I was muchly jealous.
I think she's a fab actress and I enjoy keeping up with her films, now I've got over the weirdness of seeing her on screen.

minibmw2010 Mon 03-Mar-14 20:18:05

I've just watched her at the Oscars. She had the most lovely dress on but her hair made her look like she's been dragged through a hedge ??!! Why did they let her out like that ???

curiousgeorgie Mon 03-Mar-14 20:25:36

She was nominated for an academy award... That's not being overlooked grin

She was fantastic in Blue Jasmine, they both were.

Is she the one rumoured to have had an affair with Sam Mendes when he was with Kate Winslet or am I thinking of someone else?

LeslieKnope Mon 03-Mar-14 20:26:46

That's Rebecca Hall georgie.

Sam Mendes the dirty sod.

Tiredemma Mon 03-Mar-14 20:29:34

She was in Fingersmith too (Sarah Watters)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now