Talk

Advanced search

To think dp is being an entitled arse?

(94 Posts)
Beavie Mon 03-Mar-14 12:53:09

Opinions please! Me and dp had a row yesterday. He is a teacher and thinks it is massively unfair that he gets paid the same as a younger teacher with the same experience. He went into teaching late in life, he is nearly 40, and this is his first year after his nqt.

He was actually put up a pay scale by his last school because of his age, so he is getting more than he would if he was younger. But he seems to think that his masses of life experience should mean that he gets paid significantly more. His life experience mostly involves travelling around the world putting on raves, so not exactly relevant.

I told him it's his tough shit for arsing about for so long before studying. No?

Sparklingbrook Mon 03-Mar-14 12:55:04

I think your DP is being unreasonable.

But he gains back a few points for being a teacher because I wouldn't do it for a million pounds.

FabBakerGirl Mon 03-Mar-14 12:55:40

You are right.

He is at the same point in his career as someone who went straight to uni and got qualified at the earliest age and it is right he should get paid as such.

Beavie Mon 03-Mar-14 12:56:31

Yes definitely! I wouldn't want to do it either.

Sarahschuster Mon 03-Mar-14 12:56:40

YADNBU. I went into teaching later than some, and despite all my fabulous life experience, was rubbish at it to begin with. It isn't something you can just be good at. It takes time and practice. He is very lucky a school has been willing to pay him a bit more anyway. Why on earth would he think he should get paid more just because he's older than somebody who may well be younger but is more experienced and consequently probably better than him?

Sparklingbrook Mon 03-Mar-14 12:57:11

Does he enjoy it Beavie (despite the pay issue). What age does he teach?

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Mon 03-Mar-14 12:57:33

It is indeed his tough shit.

He should be paid according to his level of job experience.

Unless he is teaching children how to organise parties, I don't imagine his past is particularly relevant to their education or makes him a better teacher.

He's a newbie. And that's what he gets paid as. He should be thankful they put him up at all.

How much more than someone with the same amount of teaching experience as him does he think he should get? I'm interested to know what he thinks umpteen years faffing about with parties should pay.

somedizzywhore1804 Mon 03-Mar-14 13:00:19

I ha a colleague like this. We both shared a TLR in a big dept the year after our NQT year. Had been teaching exactly the same amount of time but she was always kicking off saying she should have more responsibility etc as she was 30 years older than me.

Drove me mad and she was crap.

Tell your DP to cop on.

littlemrssleepy Mon 03-Mar-14 13:00:27

He is being unreasonable. And his last employer broke the law if they paid him more purely because of his age.

Beavie Mon 03-Mar-14 13:01:17

He was saying he should get at least 37k, currently gets 25!!

Another reason he gave was because he has kids to support, so that should be taken into account. hmm

Beavie Mon 03-Mar-14 13:02:57

Yes he does enjoy it, though he finds the workload stressful. He teaches secondary.

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Mon 03-Mar-14 13:03:15

oh, that's so ridiculous that it's actually funny.

does he really think that or is he trying to wind you up?

He thinks employers should pay more if you're a parent cos you need more?

In all professions? Or just teaching?

I think the years of organising raves has addled his brain a bit grin maybe it's all the noise of the dumdumdumbangdum, rattled a screw loose wink

Sparklingbrook Mon 03-Mar-14 13:03:58

Ooh I like his style. People should get paid according to their family circumstances. grin He should write to Parliament.

Goblinchild Mon 03-Mar-14 13:04:03

He is being an entitled arse.
But fortunately there will be people to tell him so at work, despite being the possessor of a penis and thus having being given a golden ticket for future promotion. If he's any good at the job, that is.

JonSnowKnowsNothing Mon 03-Mar-14 13:05:42

Is being serious?!
Oh god, he's not one of those male teachers I often seem to encounter who come into teaching late in life and tell everyone how their plan is to be a Head in five years?!

whomadeyougod Mon 03-Mar-14 13:06:15

i dont think he should get more just because hes older , he is out of order if he really thinks this .

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Mon 03-Mar-14 13:07:26

Um. He doesn't sound very bright OP.

And if these pronouncements are the evidence of his vast 'life experience', then I'd say it's painfully obvious that he doesn't have much.

Maybe he should make the most of what salary he has while he's got it!

MoominsYonisAreScary Mon 03-Mar-14 13:07:35

Ha ha he cant be serious? Hes being totally ridiculous

Catsmamma Mon 03-Mar-14 13:07:46

maybe he'd prefer not to go to work at all but still have someone hand him some cash??

still at least he'll have the long summer holidays to look forward to!

JohnnyUtah Mon 03-Mar-14 13:07:50

HIBU

caruthers Mon 03-Mar-14 13:08:20

Goblinchild

"despite being the possessor of a penis"

What a vile thing to say and nothing to do with the topic...you don't have to have a penis to be an entitled arse.

To the question in hand.

A younger teacher with less life experience but the same amout of teaching experience should get the same pay so YANBU.

FryOneFatManic Mon 03-Mar-14 13:08:43

He's being an idiot.

I was made redundant from an office manager post. I'm now an admin assistant elsewhere. Should I stamp my feet and claim my years of experience should mean greater pay?

No chance, I am being paid for the job at the level I currently work at. Yes, it's a lower level job with lower pay than I had before, but given that in this area, jobs were hard to obtain at the time I managed to get this one, then I suck it up.

My aim is to get another year or so under my belt and then use this job as a springboard to find a higher level job somewhere else. It's always easier to get a job while you're actually in one.

AMumInScotland Mon 03-Mar-14 13:08:54

He's being an idiot!

If the school had to pay him more because he's older and has children, even though he has no more experience, he'd be very unlikely to be able to get a job at all! Why would anyone pay extra just because he arsed about for years and has now produced children?

Lottiedoubtie Mon 03-Mar-14 13:09:15

That's how salaries worked in the past. That's illegal now for very good reason. Tell him to get a grip.

If he wants to earn more money he needs to a) be very good at his job, b) apply to work in a large, thriving, independent.

K8Middleton Mon 03-Mar-14 13:09:59

What does he teach? Presumably no PHSE because then he would know what he is proposing is unlawful age discrimination.

Tell him to look up the Equality Act 2010 and stop being such a massive twit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now