Talk

Advanced search

Unusual male culture in local upmarket restaurant

(150 Posts)
Rowena23 Mon 03-Mar-14 10:05:52

A couple enter a restaurant. As they walk past the bar on the way to the restaurant area, three men at the bar begin to talk about the woman's perfume, speculating on what brand it is.

A waiter seats the the couple at a table. Almost immediately, one of the three men goes up to the woman, and asks her about her perfume. She answers and the man slips away. When the waiter next appears at the table, the woman, still baffled (to say the least) asks him who the man is. He replies that the man is not a member of staff, but a regular customer.

It turns out that the manager of the restaurant was one of the three men speculating about the woman's perfume.

As a witness to this event, what should I have done? Should my reaction be coloured by the knowledge that the daughter of a friend had found it extremely difficult to get rid of this man some years ago, to the extent that she had to threaten to go to the police?

WTFlike Mon 03-Mar-14 10:09:05

What do you think you should have done?

MoreBeta Mon 03-Mar-14 10:10:00

Sounds like the manager has a few mates hanging around the bar. Not a professionally run place by the sound of things.

Don't go there again. There are bound to be other things wrong with the place.

SaucyJack Mon 03-Mar-14 10:10:11

What event?

shakinstevenslovechild Mon 03-Mar-14 10:11:09

I don't really think you should have done anything.

I know I have asked people what perfume/aftershave they are wearing before now, it isn't that unusual (is it?)

Laquitar Mon 03-Mar-14 10:11:14

It's up to the woman, no?

ChaosTrulyReigns Mon 03-Mar-14 10:11:37

I ask people what perfume they're wearing. Should I rein it in?

formerbabe Mon 03-Mar-14 10:12:01

What did her husband/boyfriend do?

AnswersThroughHaiku Mon 03-Mar-14 10:12:25

What is the problem?
A man asked a woman a
Question, she answered...?

Daykin Mon 03-Mar-14 10:12:52

Why was the woman baffled that someone asked her what her perfume was? I don't wear perfume but it's something that people ask, isn't it? Maybe I watch too many bad movies. Maybe they do.

Laquitar Mon 03-Mar-14 10:15:15

And lol to the 'unusual'.
I thought you will say it was an ad about perfume.

ToootSweet Mon 03-Mar-14 10:15:31

Don't know what the heck you're on about but what perfume was she wearing?

minibmw2010 Mon 03-Mar-14 10:15:31

A man asks a woman to clarify what perfume she's wearing to settle a debate, assuming it wasn't you he asked what on earth does it have to do with you ??? A man asked a woman a question, shocking ....

gordyslovesheep Mon 03-Mar-14 10:15:40

I have no clue

drnoitall Mon 03-Mar-14 10:15:50

I don't understand.
Please simplify with multiple choice scenarios that you think you think you could have done

Incidentally did it occur to you that she may not have had a a problem with a man asking what purfume she was wearing?

SanityClause Mon 03-Mar-14 10:18:08

If the woman was uncomfortable about it, she had the option to say so, or possibly to vote with her feet by not returning to the restaurant again.

If you felt uncomfortable, then I would suggest you don't go there again.

The man has done nothing illegal, in this incident, although it could be construed as a bit creepy, especially considering your prior knowledge of him. (If you hadn't known that, I think I would give him the benefit of the doubt, though.)

MammaTJ Mon 03-Mar-14 10:20:45

Golly Gosh, did the woman have an attack of the vapours because a man spoke to her.

CoffeeTea103 Mon 03-Mar-14 10:20:57

I think you are the creepy one, watching and documenting what other people are doing in their lives. Are you bored?

TantrumsAndBalloons Mon 03-Mar-14 10:21:55

Eek...I asked a man in a cafe last week what aftershave he was wearing because it was nice.
I ask people all the time, is that a terrible thing to do??

Fucking hell, every day is a school day on here grin

CuntyBunty Mon 03-Mar-14 10:22:28

I was that woman. I told him it was Femfresh. He went away again.

WorraLiberty Mon 03-Mar-14 10:22:52

I genuinely thought this was a joke...you know like "3 men walk into a bar" grin

Anyway, I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make here OP?

Laquitar Mon 03-Mar-14 10:24:08

Are you going to tell us what the perfume was??

And please don't come back with drip fe
Just give us the name of the perfume.

Nancy66 Mon 03-Mar-14 10:25:31

err...wot? Man asks woman what perfume she's wearing and that's it?

What should you have done? How about nothing?

gordyslovesheep Mon 03-Mar-14 10:25:50

'harrass me' by Larcome or 'stalker' by John Paul Gaultier?

MarmaladeShatkins Mon 03-Mar-14 10:25:59

<brain hurts>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now