Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to send my taxi receipt to Odeon and ask them to pay it?

(36 Posts)
Objection Sun 02-Mar-14 20:08:41

I went to the Odeon at Whitleys today with my charges and twisted my ankle. There is a weird little ridge on the floor. like a tiny tiny step - no more than an inch high.

It runs the length of the wide hall and tbh I'm not sure why the floor isn't just gradually sloped confused

I was stood near it, not realising it was there, and slipped off it when I turned - twisting my ankle quite badly. It's now swollen and bruised.

I struggled to walk to the tube station (about 3/4 of a mile) so flagged a cab to take me to St Pancras. The taxi driver wrote me a receipt and advised that I send it to the centre asking that the pay for it.

I don't want to sue, that'd be ridiculous and petty and I don't think I even have a case! But the taxi cost me £24 which I wouldn't normally have to take.

WIBU to take the taxi drivers advise and send it to them?

Objection Sun 02-Mar-14 20:09:05

blush blush my phone managed the post this as a reply to another thread blush blush

CorusKate Sun 02-Mar-14 20:10:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Annunziata Sun 02-Mar-14 20:10:55

You'd need to prove that you did it there?

meditrina Sun 02-Mar-14 20:11:29

Did you get first aid at the centre, or report the incident to any staff there when it happened?

WooWooOwl Sun 02-Mar-14 20:11:47

Hard to say without seeing the step.

nevergoogle Sun 02-Mar-14 20:12:21

Sounds daft to me.

CajaDeLaMemoria Sun 02-Mar-14 20:12:31

Did you report it when you did it?

If you did, send the reciept and ask nicely for them to pay it. If you didn't, it'd probably be a harder push.

Worth a try though, I suppose. You've nothing to lose.

Objection Sun 02-Mar-14 20:12:54

It's almost definitely on CCTV as it was right in the middle.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 02-Mar-14 20:13:47

Well the worst thing they can do is say no...

Objection Sun 02-Mar-14 20:14:14

I'd be really polite about it. I was going to email them anyway just to point out the accident in a hope they'd sort it out for the future. Nothing nasty, no point be horrid about it as I'm sure they haven't deliberately set out to trip people up!

drnoitall Sun 02-Mar-14 20:14:27

Yes do it. :-0
Lots of others can follow suit and join the "compensation nation" train and the prices will go up.
Can't anyone just have an accident anymore?

Objection Sun 02-Mar-14 20:16:17

drnoital that seems a little harsh

DarlingGrace Sun 02-Mar-14 20:19:10

The taxi driver wrote me a receipt and advised that I send it to the centre asking that the pay for it.

did he? Bless!! if he were qualified in law he wouldnt be driving a cab!

Objection Sun 02-Mar-14 20:22:42

He didn't offer me legal advice, he said it would be worth sending it to them because they had a dodgy floor.
If people aren't allowed to give advice without being an expert on the general topic then MN would be practically silent!

babacoon Sun 02-Mar-14 20:25:32

Darling some things are common sense. You do not need to be qualified to know them.

And FYI I know someone who is actually a qualified lawyer but now works as a taxi driver around his children's schedules after his wife died of cancer. Does that make him less able minded?

ThedementedPenguin Sun 02-Mar-14 20:25:32

I think you are being a little unreasonable. It was an accident.

Although no harm in trying.

LizCurly Sun 02-Mar-14 20:25:43

Unless you're going to hire a solicitor and push water uphill for three years, I'd just go the route of hoping for a voucher!

Write a nice letter just saying you're disappointed to have had an accident on their premises. Cos you're so reasonable and nice, you merely want to draw their attention to the hazard, as being such a big company with a brand to protect, you're sure they pay attention to health and safety. Say you had to get a taxi home.

nevergoogle Sun 02-Mar-14 20:30:09

have you got ice on that ankle or not?

Objection Sun 02-Mar-14 20:30:14

Liz - ill do that. I'm not out to gain here I just have a really purple ankle and an unpleasant taxi charge smile

Objection Sun 02-Mar-14 20:30:42

On a train at the moment but will ice it up when I get home

endlesstidying Sun 02-Mar-14 21:40:01

Its worth a try. You may get something back especially if you're nice about it.

Darling I once got given medical advise by a cab driver who diagnosed DD with acute appendicitis as he drove us to the hospital. He was right. I was a bit confused when he came in with us and insisted she was triaged immediately then came in and told the triage nurse everything he'd just observed as I sat there stunned wiht vomiting dd in my arms. Turned out he was a final year medical student who was driving a cab on the side to help support his family.

ilikebaking Sun 02-Mar-14 22:13:38

I am sorry, but YOU fell over. If you looked at the floor, properly, you wouldn't have.
Yes, it is unfortunate you didn't notice the ridge, but you didn't. Odeon can't have hundreds of people hurting themselves or there would be signs.
Look where you are going and what you are doing.
Time we all took some more responsibility for our own wellbeing.

SeaSickSal Sun 02-Mar-14 22:22:27

There's no harm in asking but I doubt they will do it.

You should have reported it at the time and they may well have honoured it. But as it stands I don't think you have, er, a leg to stand on.

Ahem.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Mar-14 22:29:37

I'd have thought they're unlikely to pay incase its seen as admitting liability. However I'm no lawyer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now