Talk

Advanced search

To sit in business while DH is in economy?

(68 Posts)
allduffedup Sun 02-Mar-14 17:27:45

I'm going to a conference in the US in a couple of months. DH is also coming with me for a bit of a holiday/to catch up with friends.

Work will pay for me to sit in premium economy on the way there and business on the way back. I looked into buying premium economy for DH, but it would be an extra £450 so quite a lot of money.

I will be 23 weeks pregnant at the time, so the extra room would probably be very welcome, particularly on the way back which is an overnight flight. DH says he is fine with being in economy. However, I feel a bit guilty and will probably miss sitting next to him.

HermioneWeasley Sun 02-Mar-14 17:28:16

If he's fine with it, then do it!

TryingToBePractical Sun 02-Mar-14 17:28:27

I would do it no question!

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 02-Mar-14 17:29:09

YANBU, if your DH is ok with it then go for it

themaltesefalcon Sun 02-Mar-14 17:29:37

If he's fine with it, I'd not waste the money on an upgrade.

It's not a very long flight, really (assuming you're in the UK).

squoosh Sun 02-Mar-14 17:29:57

I wouldn't feel guilty. Not even a little. Your business class seat is being paid for by your employer.

BumWad Sun 02-Mar-14 17:30:02

Do it!

BillyBanter Sun 02-Mar-14 17:30:07

For:
You are pregnant and you are on business so need to be as fresh as you can and your DH doesn't mind.

Against: It would (maybe) be nicer to sit beside your DH.

ReluctantCamper Sun 02-Mar-14 17:30:41

If your DH really doesn't mind, I'd dooo eeeet, especially as you'll be quite pregnant by then.

iloveny001 Sun 02-Mar-14 17:31:55

Make a joke about it at check in. They may upgrade him.

eurochick Sun 02-Mar-14 17:32:56

I'm considering doing the same. I have shedloads of BA miles and could use them to upgrade but I don't think I'd have enough for both of us, both ways. If he's fine with it, go for it.

Be aware of peeing other people off though. On our honeymoon flights we had the middle and aisle seats in economy. In the window seat was a guy who was with someone sitting at the front of the plane. Either she was coming back and leaning over us to chat to him, or we would get comfy and ready to nod off under our blankets and he would want to get out to go and chat to her. It drove us menkul!

mamij Sun 02-Mar-14 17:33:21

Do it! And your DH would want you to be more comfortable!

Earlybird Sun 02-Mar-14 17:34:56

You are going on a business trip, so your company is paying. You will have to work while there. You need to arrive with minimal recovery time needed so you can function for work (both inbound and outbound).

Your dh is coming along for some fun, relaxing time. The price of his ticket is being paid for by your household budget. Presumably he can take some time to adjust to jet lag, and has a less-than-rigorous schedule.

Sit up front, and let him sit in back.

clam Sun 02-Mar-14 17:54:27

Oh dear. We just went on a family skiing holiday and I managed to secure a club seat for me (long story how). Dh sat in economy with the kids. blush
Am I a bad mother/wife?

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sun 02-Mar-14 17:55:25

Do it!

WooWooOwl Sun 02-Mar-14 17:58:39

I'd rather sit with my DH tbh, but then I've never felt uncomfortable in economy, even while pregnant. It would take the enjoyment out of it for me and I think I'd rather DH stayed at home!

Joysmum Sun 02-Mar-14 17:59:38

If you are totally sure your DH won't mind, do it.

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Sun 02-Mar-14 18:01:12

Well, let's see:

Heartburn
Varicose veins
Sleeplessness
Possibly weeks of feeling sick
Constantly needing to pee
No alcohol/nice cheese... Etc.
Going through labour

...is your DH going to be joining you on any of those delightful 'journeys' through pregnancy? No. Because he lucked out there, being a man and all.

So this is possibly the only journey you will take while pregnant where you are more comfortable than him. Because you lucked out for a change!

Enjoy it.

honestpointofview Sun 02-Mar-14 18:35:36

Hi Allduff

Just out of curiosity why is the company paying for Premium economy on the way out but business on the way back? I would have thought they would have wanted you to be fresh for the conference! Also very strange to mix classes. Normally only happens if you by the more expensive class but it is sold out or not available for part of a journey.

Sorry just being curious!

HermioneWeasley Sun 02-Mar-14 19:58:03

I assume it's so she can sleep on the way back. US flights are usually daytime from UK and nighttime back

twatsrus123 Sun 02-Mar-14 20:05:46

shocking - if this was a bloke saying it about him turning left when he gets on the plane and his wife turning right there would be uproar.

More double standards from the 'all men are bastards' mumsnet crowd.

WooWooOwl Sun 02-Mar-14 20:07:04

You are so right twatsrus.

drnoitall Sun 02-Mar-14 20:07:05

Agree with euro chick.
If he really does not mind, only you can judge that -
Then just accept it's a compromise for being able to spend the time together outside of your work commitments.
I honestly did not mind when this happened to my dh and I.
Although those around us did.
Can you try to upgrade at check in?

MimiSunshine Sun 02-Mar-14 20:07:43

Honest it's probably different airlines on the way back. Some do 'Premium' as a 'Business' equivalent (more or less) and the next one up is 'Upper' rather than '1st'.

Do it OP work are paying, how much will you really talk to him in between films, food and sleeping?
although last time I flew there was a woman in Premium, as we got off I realised her BF / DH was in cattle class when she asked someone to pass her their carry on from the closet then passed it back to him, I was a bit taken aback as She said it was his wedding suit, I like to think it was their wedding grin

drnoitall Sun 02-Mar-14 20:10:36

Twats - just to add. I did not mind at all when this happened to me, I was very happy to go to sleep, read and generally look forward to the time dh and I were going to spend together for a fortnight instead of apart. Dh never reads this I have no reason to lie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now