Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Women slapping men on TV

(36 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sun 02-Mar-14 17:21:26

I have just watched last night's Casualty and there was a scene where a male member of staff got slapped very hard around his face by a woman because he lied to her. The storyline/scene was written to be seen as something humorous and the other actors in the scene laughed when it happened and the whole thing was staged to be something funny and something to giggle about.

AIBU to feel a bit put out by it?

I have never understood why showing women being violent towards men is absolutely fine and considered amusing. If the clip was reversed and a woman got slapped round the face by a male I doubt everyone in the scene would be laughing and would instead be calling the police!! It just surprises me that even in this modern day it is still being classed as funny and acceptable for women to hit men and it be something that women are 'allowed' do just because we are socially seen as the 'weaker sex'.

It's the same when a soap character finds out her DH/DP did something unforgiveable, she starts screaming at him, slapping him, pummelling his chest, throwing things at him etc and it is seen as understandable and acceptable and I doubt many viewers bat an eyelid. But reverse the genders and we'd be horrified!!!

I just don't get it.

Men being violent towards women is horrific but surely it should work both ways? An old friend of mine was physically abused by his girlfriend, he used to turn up covered in bruises and scratches from her latest attack. It was awful. He put up with it for well over a year, probably because he was too embarrassed to admit it was going on.

FutTheShuckUp Sun 02-Mar-14 17:23:07

YANBU. Many cases abuse towards males from females go unreported, and the double standards seen in the media dont help this (even MN at times)

AlpacaYourThings Sun 02-Mar-14 17:24:06

YANBU, it's not on.

JapaneseMargaret Sun 02-Mar-14 17:27:07

Nobody should be violent with anyone, but I think it is seen as worse when the party being violent has the physical advantage due to strength/size/body mass.

There is something particularly questionable about hitting a person who you can pretty easily dominate.

DitaVonCreamTeas Sun 02-Mar-14 17:34:46

Hell no, YANBU at all. This is something that I've hated for as long as I can remember - woman slaps a man and we're all supposed to cheer or laugh. Absolutely disgusting. And if anyone thinks differently then ask a man who's been the target of domestic violence who he feels.

DitaVonCreamTeas Sun 02-Mar-14 17:35:40

*how.

innisglas Sun 02-Mar-14 17:41:14

YANBU at all. And even though if the man were to defend himself he would get the better of the woman, obviously only a madwoman would attack a man who felt it is ok to hit a woman.
The men who get hit are the ones who are incapable of hitting back, this is totally unacceptable behaviour

noblegiraffe Sun 02-Mar-14 17:41:41

I watched Thor 2 last night and Natalie Portman's character slapped Thor twice, and Loki once. I think it was supposed to show that she was tough and wouldn't take any nonsense. Loki even says after being slapped 'I like her'.

You're right, it's a bit odd.

Vibrissa Sun 02-Mar-14 17:43:33

I don't feel comfortable with it at all.

Yanbu

DonnaDishwater Sun 02-Mar-14 17:43:53

It's an abuse of privilege. I don't think a woman who slaps a man can have any complaint if he slaps her back.

NewtRipley Sun 02-Mar-14 17:45:16

Yanbu

OddBoots Sun 02-Mar-14 17:45:42

YANBU, one person assaulting another isn't funny or to be celebrated, whoever they are.

TeamHank Sun 02-Mar-14 17:46:00

My brother had to leave a relationship last year due to her extreme violence to him. He's big, strong and more than able to handle himself - she was tiny. He never once raised his hand to her, despite extreme provocation.

It is a unreported crime and has deeply affected him.

Not funny at all.

NewtRipley Sun 02-Mar-14 17:46:48

But it does a disservice to women as well. it suggests women can't show disnity, restraint, assertiveness. That they are emotional children and that it's somehow reasonbale and expected for them to be like that.

NewtRipley Sun 02-Mar-14 17:47:08

Dignity, even

jenniuol Sun 02-Mar-14 18:08:04

Yanbu, I find those kinds of scenes deplorable. Like you say if it was the other way about everyone would be rightly shock

perfectstorm Sun 02-Mar-14 18:32:12

YANBU. Totally agree that it does a huge disservice to both men and women, and helps create a culture in which a form of domestic violence is seen as not that bad, and maybe even justifiable.

Any form of intimate partner violence is horrible. Whatever the configuration. Portraying it as okay is encouraging it to keep happening.

Caitlin17 Sun 02-Mar-14 18:46:53

YANBU.

I also don't like the current Diet Coke cinema advert where a bunch of giggling women throw a can of diet coke to a man pushing a lawnmower knowing when he opens it it will explode all over his t-shirt which he will then have to take off.

NewtRipley Sun 02-Mar-14 18:51:12

Me either Caitlin

Or the yoghurt one where the life guard is deemed thick for tripping over.

TV is full of lowest common denominator gender stereotyping and sexism.

flashheartscanoe Sun 02-Mar-14 18:52:43

YANBU
I got caught out by his once years ago- I was 16 and a bit miffed by a male friend who turned up late for my party- I slapped him- at the time I had seen it on TV and thought it was totally fine and a bit high drama. He was massively upset and didnt speak to me for ages. I now realise how humiliating it was for him and its absolutely not ok!

NiceTabard Sun 02-Mar-14 18:59:42

This is a media - soap thing isn't it.

In real life most people (male or female) don't go around hitting each other, and the ones that do, don't discriminate by sex.

Thinking about the soaps love to show women slapping each other as well.

To portray someone being slapped around the face as amusing is never a good thing.

LetZygonsbeZygons Sun 02-Mar-14 19:28:02

agree, OP. and agree about the ads too.

in the old days the ads were women with the fairy liquid and the cooking and stuff and now its completely the opposite. in the old days that was sort of the norm (wether you/I think its right or not) but now the men seem henpecked/useless/bumbling.

I guess the male actors need to pay their rent etc and need the work possibly, but why allow themselves to be portrayed like that? hmm.

AnyFuckerHQ Sun 02-Mar-14 19:43:18

Yanbu

NewtRipley Sun 02-Mar-14 19:48:56

Let

That's progress for you. We should be "glad" that was done to women is now being done to men...

LetZygonsbeZygons Sun 02-Mar-14 19:59:38

Thought its sup[pose to be about equality, not revenge! ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now