Talk

Advanced search

to think that English, Welsh and Northern Irish

(92 Posts)
winkywinkola Sun 02-Mar-14 16:34:35

people are perfectly entitled to have an opinion on and be interested in the Scottish referendum on their independence?

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 02-Mar-14 16:36:36

Of course they are, in fact I'm pleased that some do.
But from my experience from the media and even on here, most say they don't give a shit.

BumPotato Sun 02-Mar-14 16:37:15

Absolutely. But what anyone else, other than the people of Scotland, think is utterly irrelevant.

winkywinkola Sun 02-Mar-14 16:37:46

I've just been told to butt out as nobody but Scottish born people have the right to express opinions!

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 02-Mar-14 16:38:04

Naturally. I mean, we're entitled to opinions on German, Or Middle Eastern politics too, but I think we have to accept that they don't count for much, and might well be less informed than those of the people living it.

winkywinkola Sun 02-Mar-14 16:39:09

But if Scotland gets independence it affects the rest of us so I believe what we think does matter. I don't know whether independence is a good thing or not but it certainly a big deal for everyone. This surely opinions matter? The vote is obviously for Scots only.

Does Connery get a vote?

winkywinkola Sun 02-Mar-14 16:40:05

The referendum result affects us directly though so it's a bit different to politics in the Middle Wast or Germany.

Joysmum Sun 02-Mar-14 16:40:29

Most people I know would like a vote on whether we still want Scotland in the union. Personally I'm hoping they vote no to independence and we can get on with trying to celebrate our individuality, England more so as it's politically incorrect to love being English, and love the fact that together as part of the United Kingdom we are stronger players in the world scheme of things.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 02-Mar-14 16:42:31

The vote is not only for Scots, it's for anyone resident in Scotland and registered to vote. So if you really want to have a voice, move before September.

chandlery Sun 02-Mar-14 16:43:01

I also hope that Scotland stays, I appreciate how they feel some inequities compared to the rest of the UK but so do we on some aspects.

Please stay!

Happy for anyone to discuss and have an opinion (although not a vote IME)

Just don't refer to us as whinging scots or similar - just winds us all up.

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 02-Mar-14 16:45:44

I have to admit I don't really understand it all enough to have an opinion.

Nomama Sun 02-Mar-14 16:51:25

I've stopped having an interest... my questions get daft answers, horrified looks and/or I get told to piss off.

Especially to the question why would you want to?

But the best question to irritate remains: will the English ever get their own parliament? Apparently we don't get to have one, as we already have one that everyone else can join in......

Twighlightsparkle Sun 02-Mar-14 17:01:01

I'm Scottish living in Scotland and I think anyone wherever they live is entitled to an opinion, particularly those on the rest of Great Britain.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 02-Mar-14 17:02:09

I must admit I've been on many threads on here about Scottish Independence and an awful lot of anti Scots feeling comes out. I've yet to see a debate where it doesn't which is a shame for anybody who is interested in the debate.
A lot of people here think it's an anti English thing, and it's truly not.
We have many English people living in Scotland, in my village alone I would say it's half and half, and no one blinks an eye at an English accent.
They also have the vote as do many people who are resident here, including immigrants.
I'm still a don't know BTW.

FatherHankTree Sun 02-Mar-14 17:03:51

I can fully understand why the Scottish people would like devolution and independence (they've not had much say since the 1707 Act of Union if my history lessons are correct) but from a purely personal opinion, the Scots are a welcome part of the UK and Scottish people are pretty much ok. Apart from having to collect 'messages' for my aunt grin that's a cruel trick to play on a sassenach.

bodybooboo Sun 02-Mar-14 17:05:10

I honestly don't care. if the scots vote to go then go and if vote to stay then stay.

I really can't care either way as long as everyone abides by the decision.

Nomama, I'd love to see a more federal approach to the UK as a whole - I agree there should be something for "England" although given the size and diversity perhaps regional assemblies would be more appropriate.

Bearbehind Sun 02-Mar-14 17:08:47

From the threads I've read LBE there doesn't seem a particularly convincing argument for the Yes vote that doesn't involve anti English sentiment though.

It is understandable given there is no clear idea of what a Yes vote will actually lead to but it does seem that many of those already convinced they will vote Yes, are doing so for anti English reasons.

JanineStHubbins Sun 02-Mar-14 17:10:29

Federalism for the UK was proposed by Irish nationalist MPs back in the 1870s - Home Rule all round. Westminster was to remain the Imperial Parliament, to govern the empire with a jackboot and decide policy like defence, foreign trade, tax rates. All other domestic business was to be handled by the national parliaments. We got a version of this in the 1990s with devolution, but obviously nothing for an English assembly. Possibly because since the Empire was no more, there would be nothing for Whitehall to do. It's one of the more interesting counterfactuals.

poppyknot Sun 02-Mar-14 17:12:55

What I find difficult is being discussed as 'other' in otherwise quite mainstream UK media. As if we weren't in the room really.

WilsonFrickett Sun 02-Mar-14 17:14:57

I think the only time I've thought 'oh butt out of this' on here was when the sentiment is anti-Scottish and ill-informed. There was one thread where the OP insisted on spelling Salmond Salmon and calling him the fish-man. If posters post ill-informed and rude BS for the purpose of deriding the Scots' ambitions for self-determination, yep, I'm going to say shut up.

And I'm not a Nationalist and it's safe to say I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than vote for Alex Salmond, but the principle remains. Anyone who talks sense (or asks sensible questions) and talks respectfully is welcome to join in the debate imo.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 02-Mar-14 17:21:24

I can honestly say I've seen no anti-English arguments (apart from Melanie Phillips) and no Braveheart shite either, from the Yes camp. I have seen claims of same from BetterTogether supporters, though.

Either way, there are no certainties and no guarantees, but the yes argument for takng full responsbility for ourselves, like a proper grown-up country, is pretty good afaiac.

Backonthefence Sun 02-Mar-14 17:24:41

I think most don't care enough to have much of an opinion about it to be honest.

msrisotto Sun 02-Mar-14 17:38:00

I think a lot care.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now