Talk

Advanced search

to not be able to just 'relax'? bit lengthy...

(6 Posts)
mikeysmum27 Sat 01-Mar-14 20:42:26

DS has been a bit unwell lately and had a cold that seemed to go on forever and a god awful cough. I kept taking him to the docs only to be told that 'his tonsils are enlarged and his throat is sore, but theres nothing I can do'..three visits later and I'd had enough. Changed doctors and first visit two days after the useless doctor 'he has a chest infection and tonsilitis, I'll prescribe some antibiotics'. Thank god! Someone has seen sense and finally treated him. DS is now on the mend and had his first cough free night last night (yay). However I now can't seem to shake off the feeling that if a doctor has missed this twice and a nurse, what else could they have missed? I finding it all a bit hard to fathom really. I can't seem to realx now, every time DS looks a bit flushed or has the slightest squeak about anything I'm panicking like mad and struggle to hold back the tears. I'm so worried that in future something could be wrong and it would be missed by the doctor..I can't eat (not eaten breakfast or lunch for a while now and never bother with dinner, I don't sleep well..I'm not drinking enough. I'm in bed usually at 7-30 just so I can hear DS in the next room and go in and check on him often. Only one cup of coffee and a small glass of water today. I just can't relax at all and I'm worried I'm stressing out DS and I know I'm stressing out DH. DH seems to think everythings fine all the time and doesn't understand why I worry all the time. I never used to be like this but now I can't shake it off. I'm getting to the point now where I don't want to leave the house or take DS anywhere incase he picks up something else. I know this is stupid and I musn't act on it but I can't help myself. I have this desire to wrap him up in cotton wool and keep him safe from everybody and everything that could hurt him or make him ill. I know to a certain extent I can't do this and musn't do this but I'm really struggling..anyone else every felt the same??

Quodlibet Sat 01-Mar-14 20:45:04

Ok - there are a couple of things going on here. One is that you have been let down by your old GP which is lamentable, but your DS is now getting appropriate treatment.

But the levels of worry you describe so

twentyten Sat 01-Mar-14 20:46:48

You poor thing. No wonder you are anxious. It would be worth visiting the doctor because it sounds as if anxiety is really affecting you - not eating is not good. Try and relax- have a warm bath, drink some warm milk and be kind to yourself.

Quodlibet Sat 01-Mar-14 20:49:04

Aggh!
...sound like you have a level of anxiety which is affecting your quality of life. Losing your appetite and limiting your activities as you describe in my view mean your anxiety levels require some help and intervention.

Do you feel enough trust in your new GP to talk to them about this? A course of CBT might help you massively.
I'd also recommend the book 'The Worry Cure by Robert Leahy which might enable you to start sorting out your thinking patterns. As he says, 'just relaxing' is impossible if you have an anxiety issue.

I hope you can access some good support OP - you dot sound very happy at present.

mikeysmum27 Sun 02-Mar-14 19:27:49

thanks for the replies, i'll have a look at the book :O) hopefully this week will be better!

mrscog Sun 02-Mar-14 19:58:32

Do you have very much of a medical/biology background? Infections can sometimes take a while to brew and come on the back of a viral infection, so it's extremely plausible that your GP didn't miss something on the first or second time. Our GP's certainly don't prescribe antibiotics for 4 days now even if they think it's bacterial as most things go away on their own anyway.

Does this kind of biological thinking help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now