Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you always pick up after your dog?

(55 Posts)
toddlertantrumtrouble Sat 01-Mar-14 17:27:33

I was just out walking with my toddler. We were in a big park which contains a playground. It's popular with dog walkers and parents with young children. There are dog poo bins and signs up everywhere saying that you get a £100 fine for not picking up after your dog.

A couple of middle-aged, respectable looking women paused up ahead while their dog shat next to the path. They saw that their dog was pooing but when it finished they carried on walking. I shouted, 'aren't you going to pick that up' to which they looked at me like I was insane, ignored me and carried on walking.

IANBU here am I? Leaving your dog's poo in a park close to a playground where young children can easily step in it is unacceptable and disgusting isn't it? I'm not a dog owner so am I not understanding something?

formerbabe Sat 01-Mar-14 17:30:02

It's vile...I wish nothing but bad things on the people who do this.

usualsuspect33 Sat 01-Mar-14 17:30:09

Do you really think anyone is going to come on this thread and say they don't?

MrsMoon76 Sat 01-Mar-14 17:30:40

YANBU - I have a dog and we always clean up after him - ok, apart from the time he went in a patch of nettles - but always in a park/on the street etc.

jerryfudd Sat 01-Mar-14 17:31:37

Just had same experience (bar catching them in the act). Took kids to park but had to be on look out for all the poo lying around despite notices and bins provided. I find myself being more and more anti-dog which I know isn't fair as its the owners to blame

MrsChocolateCupcake Sat 01-Mar-14 17:33:15

YANBU, we always pick up of our dog, but often see dog owners not paying attention either on phones or just walking ahead and not keeping an eye on the dog.
I wouldnt dream of leaving it I dont like it left around. Esp near where children play. It annoys me so much

OneMoreThenNoMore Sat 01-Mar-14 17:35:02

Always. Once I managed to forget to take any bags out with us (I usually have a stash in the pram), so I used a couple of tissues to pick it up! grin

It seems to be becoming a bit of a problem in our area. I hate it as I have two young dcs and we have to dodge dog shit all the time.

LouiseSmith Sat 01-Mar-14 17:35:10

YANBU - I have a dog and only once have I ever not picked it up. That was because i didn't have a poo bag. (Got one of those bone shaped plastic things on the lead know smile )

Shockers Sat 01-Mar-14 17:37:14

I always pick up, even if we're out in the wilds. I know owners who don't though and it really annoys me; I don't want to trek through poo just because I like dogs!

toddlertantrumtrouble Sat 01-Mar-14 17:37:39

Usualsuspects I hope no one thinks IABU but i wanted to vent. these people looked at me like I was in the wrong.

Overthehillmum Sat 01-Mar-14 17:39:56

I usually do, but !! We walk our dogs in a park that has paths around woods, sometimes I can see them in the wood areas, off the paths, and I don't go after them, there are deer and all sorts and its full of nettles and bushes! But I have seen perfectly respectable looking dog walkers just walking on when their dogs do it within the park, where kids could be running about, so rude !!

Goldmandra Sat 01-Mar-14 17:40:05

I have a bitch who crouches in the same position to wee as she does to poo. I've had a couple of 'looks' from people who clearly thought I hadn't picked up after her but, with the best will in the world, I can't pick up wee from grass smile

Other than that, yes, unless we're walking on a friend's farm and they poo in the hedgerow, in which case I leave it. It isn't on or near a public footpath and the farm dogs poo anywhere they want too.

SometimesLonely Sat 01-Mar-14 17:40:28

What about getting out your 'phone and taking a photo? Local paper or Council?

Motherhen39 Sat 01-Mar-14 17:40:51

Always, unless they have disappeared off into the undergrowth at our local woods. No-one other than an unsuspecting badger will tread in it in there!

Nicola19 Sat 01-Mar-14 17:43:10

I seem to always have dogs shit in front of me when i'm at the park, honestly, it happens all the time! Most pick up. I usually say something if they don't, unless the dog or owner is scary looking. I always have a nappy sack in my trackie pocket when running so i can offer it. I have also been known to pick up random turds in the park as i just can't bear the thought of kids stepping in it. My secret fantasy is to bag it then fling it at disgusting owner's face! I know that would be terrible of course and a criminal offence too but it makes me feel better thinking about it.

JammyPodger Sat 01-Mar-14 17:44:00

Always of course.

Woman at the park had two dogs off lead and one of them pooed while she walked ahead. I went up to her and said sorry to bother you but your dog pooed over there. Well, she bit my head off and said she was only passing through quickly, dog already been bla bla bla and she couldn't pick it up anyway as didn't have any bags (yeah right, like she ever picks it up.)

So I said no worries and handed her one of our bags smile

growingolddicustingly Sat 01-Mar-14 17:46:09

Always pick up even in the forest. I sometimes fantasise about having a magic wand that would send all the unpicked up poop straight to the miscreants' pillows on their beds.

growingolddicustingly Sat 01-Mar-14 17:46:50

I fantasise about litter louts in the same way. God, I am getting soooo old.

MistletoeBUTNOwine Sat 01-Mar-14 17:47:45

I forgot poo bags yesterday sadblush

Grennie Sat 01-Mar-14 17:51:47

My older dog used to look as if he was pooing. I would look and I couldn't see a thing or just a tiny dribble of poo that you can't pick up. And some bitches do look as if they are pooing when they are peeing. If you are sure they have pooed YANBU. But you may have got it wrong?

growingolddicustingly Sat 01-Mar-14 17:52:07

Check your pillow tonight Mistletoe! I use carrier bags but have a secret supply of basic nappy sacks in my pocket too because they take up no room.

WooWooOwl Sat 01-Mar-14 17:52:17

I nearly always do. But today the dog pooped three times, and I only had two bags. Poo number three was tiny, and this is the first time ever that he's pooped three times in one walk.

RunDougalRunQuiteFast Sat 01-Mar-14 17:54:10

I always do - dog pooed on the grass at the side of a footpath the other day and as I was bagging it up, an old guy with his dog came along and said 'you're not picking that up are you, it's not on the path!'. I replied that my kids are the type who would run along the grass and get covered ....

Norfolknway Sat 01-Mar-14 17:58:47

Last week week I saw a woman and her dog had a great big sloppy diarrhoea poo - she looked around and announced loudly,

'Im not picking that up, it's diarrhoea'

I did the cats bum mouth, but then, I wondered how she would actually pick it up? It was right beside a play park too hmm

growingolddicustingly Sat 01-Mar-14 18:02:37

Norfolk she should have double or triple bagged and scrapped it up with some of the topsoil/grass. No excuse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now