Talk

Advanced search

To think what did I do wrong?!

(23 Posts)
Paintyourbox Sat 01-Mar-14 15:48:41

Walking home with DD today along a busy road. She was having a tantrum (due to tiredness) and wouldn't hold my hand or get in the buggy so I decided to carry her under one arm (not the easiest but it had to be done!)

We were walking past a shop and a woman had a huge suitcase blocking the whole pavement. I stopped walking and said "Sorry, can I squeeze past?"

She didn't seem to hear me so I said a little louder: "Sorry can you excuse me"

She then turned round, looked me up and down and gave me a heap of abuse asking who do I think I am trying to make her move her suitcase and that I was trying to barge past her and that I was a rude cow who needs to get a life. She was still shouting as she walked into the shop.

I'm ashamed to say I actually burst into tears- what did I do wrong?! I was trying to be polite?! I'm off work with depression at the moment and things are hard enough without being shouted at by ransoms in the street. Maybe next time I'll have to walk on the road in front of all the buses confused

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Sat 01-Mar-14 15:50:14

you didn't do anything wrong.

she was in a mood/oversensitive/a cow.

there is nothing wrong with saying excuse me to someone who is in your way.

her reaction was bizarre.

HidingUnderMyDuvet Sat 01-Mar-14 15:50:32

Sheesh!
Sounds like you were perfectly polite to someone who was clearly not!
Take no notice, she was very rude to react like that.

Nomama Sat 01-Mar-14 15:52:10

What did you do wrong?

You existed.....

Have good rant and then forget her. She may be off work with depression too, going on holiday to get away from it all, or to a laundrette to wash that man right out of her life.

Or she may just be a lifelong unpleasant person, Which you won't be smile

Feminine Sat 01-Mar-14 15:52:30

You were fine.

You had the misfortune to encounter someone with a strange reaction. smile

pussycatdoll Sat 01-Mar-14 15:54:05

She could easily start a thread 'aarrgghh I'm a hormonal cow today, my boyfriend chucked me out & as I was moving out I yelled at a poor woman because I was struggling with my suitcase'

Don't give it another thought smile

FabBakerGirl Sat 01-Mar-14 15:54:47

YANBU to think what you did wrong but stop it now as you did nothing wrong cake.

Paintyourbox Sat 01-Mar-14 15:58:58

Aww thanks!

I seem to be overthinking everything at the moment!

Goes off too google boarding schools (kidding!)

JuliaScurr Sat 01-Mar-14 16:01:37

poor you
cake brew

Sovaysovay Sat 01-Mar-14 16:03:03

I've had this a couple of times on the school run. I get stuck behind some git who thinks walking four-abrest and blocking the whole pavement is appropriate, or walking dead centre of a narrow pavement as slowly as possible, gawking at a phone.

Anyway, because I don't want to get stabbed, I hang back until a gap appears, usually when the yellow zig zags begin and the parked cars have stopped, and I can go around with lots of space.

Twice now, the dumbass on the pavement has spat abuse at me for it. "Where the FUCK do you think you're going?" was one, followed by "You're not gonna get there any faster" (amazingly enough, I did...)

People are weird. Weirdy weird weird.

YouTheCat Sat 01-Mar-14 16:04:13

Just content yourself with the fact that, even though you are going through some crap at the moment and you were dealing with a fractious toddler, you managed to remain polite.

She didn't even manage polite to start with. Whatever crap she had going on, she is an utter cow.

frogslegs35 Sat 01-Mar-14 16:05:23

How rude!
You didn't do anything wrong.

RiverTam Sat 01-Mar-14 16:06:32

goodness, you did nothing wrong (bar exist, I suppose).

cake and brew

wonderingsoul Sat 01-Mar-14 16:46:16

you did nothing wrong, and if it helps it owuld have had me in tears to.

theres just no need for it, i couldnt ever picture sounding of like..no matter the situation.

SometimesLonely Sat 01-Mar-14 16:50:28

From me. daffodil

perplexedpirate Sat 01-Mar-14 16:54:44

Yuck! She sounds horrid.
Some people have no class.
Have a thanks and a wine and forget about her.

pictish Sat 01-Mar-14 16:59:57

Don't worry about it, she was a loon.

truelymadlysleepy Sat 01-Mar-14 17:04:09

I always feel a bit sorry for people like that women op. She must be really unhappy if she needs to speak to a woman struggling with a toddler like that.
YANBU, forget about it.

Pumpkinpositive Sat 01-Mar-14 17:09:35

She then turned round, looked me up and down and gave me a heap of abuse asking who do I think I am trying to make her move her suitcase and that I was trying to barge past her and that I was a rude cow who needs to get a life.

You should have politely asked her for alternatives on how she thought you should have navigated round the suitcase instead.

I'd probably have kicked it over. no self control blush

fromparistoberlin Sat 01-Mar-14 17:10:04

nothing, she was a complete cxxt basically!! such is life i am afraid

Melonbreath Sat 01-Mar-14 17:11:40

I'd have kicked her suitcase into the road and let your dd scream in her face.

Rude bitch.

CloverHeart Sat 01-Mar-14 17:34:15

What a horribly rude woman! You did nothing wrong OP, you just got caught in her vile crosshairs.

I would likely have kicked her suitcase into her as hard as possible and told her to think twice about who she verbally attacks in the street. In fact, she is lucky it was you and not someone prone too violent outbursts like me.....

CloverHeart Sat 01-Mar-14 17:35:26

to* .... thanks and wine for you OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now