Talk

Advanced search

To point people with babies and dogs to this link?

(14 Posts)
LackingEnergy Thu 27-Feb-14 22:11:29

In light of recent tragic events I feel it is worth sharing this with everyone in the hopes that it can prevent further tragedies happening :-)

https://www.facebook.com/ukpetnation/photos/a.532643320128850.1073741829.532172396842609/603563296370185/?type=1&theater

ProfessorSkullyMental Thu 27-Feb-14 22:14:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mymiraclebubba Thu 27-Feb-14 22:22:13

unfortunately it won't though hun!

People think 'ohh my dog is soft as butter it would never turn' but unfortunately it is a dogs nature to protect itself when it feels threatened and they only have teeth and claws with which to do this.

i have a dog and a baby, and yes normal my dog is soft as butter but that doesn't mean i would ever leave her in the room with my dd. dp and i have gone out of our way to make sure that she cannot get up on to anything in the kids bedrooms. DSD and DSS both have high sleeper beds and there is nothing near DD's cot that she can climb on.

We have taken an immense amount of time to slowly introduce the dog and the baby and the older kids. she is very good, and we sit with baby on one of us and the dog on the other, keeping her head away from baby and gently guide baby's hand to stroke and we remove it if she tries to grab at the dogs fur etc. we also are very careful now we are weaning dd that the dog is not near her if she is sat on the floor or one of us when she is eating (although she is a bloody good hoover). the dog gets lots of treats for being good and staying away from baby when she is told to and she gets told off and sent to her bed when she misbehaves. we also have a cage that she can go and hide herself in when things all get too much for her and both DSD and DSS know not to go near her when she is in her bed or cage as that is her 'safe' space.

she is a rescue dog and although we were told she had come from a loving home we don't believe it for a second due to some of her behaviours and her abject fear of all men. she is terrified of men's feet, high vis jackets and men in wooly hats - she doesn't become aggressive (that we have seen) but she does bark a lot and back away.

Hoppinggreen Thu 27-Feb-14 22:26:12

Even dogs who would never deliberately harm anyone have sharp teeth and claws. I got a few nasty scratches from our soppy dog growing up.
A friends son was knocked downstairs and fractured his skull by the family dog, totally by accident.
Kids and dogs need to be carefully supervised.

needtobediscreet Thu 27-Feb-14 22:57:27

I'll be sharing that on Facebook!
I started an AIBU thread on here about babies / kids and dogs, in light of recent events, and it kicked off big time!

LackingEnergy Fri 28-Feb-14 11:42:55

Skully because unfortunately not everyone who wishes to own a dog understands or even thinks to research dog body language or behaviour :-(

Birdsgottafly Fri 28-Feb-14 11:52:49

I know owners who think it is funny to tease the dog by being affectionate to someone else, playing on the dogs jealous reaction.

There is a clip on FB at the moment of a dog "protecting his pregnant owner", it shows a heavily pregnant woman with a dog standing between her and a man and the man going to touch her stomach, the dog growls and bares it's teeth, all without the owner disciplining it, or the man backing off.

No doubt when their toddler is at the hitting stage, they will wonder why the dog has the same reaction.

I have seen the calmest if dogs react strangely to some if the sounds a baby makes, in truth, we don't really know how a dig is interpreting what is happening.

InCiderMind Fri 28-Feb-14 12:19:49

Liam park foundation also has an excellent website with regards to dog behaviour around children

HuskyBlueEyes Fri 28-Feb-14 12:21:02

Thanks for this, great thread.

InCiderMind Fri 28-Feb-14 12:22:27

www.liamjperkfoundation.org/talk.html

LtEveDallas Fri 28-Feb-14 12:24:55

I don't think you need to quantify your post with "In light of recent tragic events". This is something that all dog owners should be aware of, and decent dog owners already are.

If you are talking about the baby/malamute event, then the authorities still aren't actually sure that the dog did anything.

sisterofmine Fri 28-Feb-14 12:25:19

i remember being less than 5 years old and in my nans house.

She had a dog, trixie, which was a border cross and was fantastic with children.

but one day, i hugged her so hard and she snapped at me, just becuase she wanted me to stop

this has put me on alert for all dogs. take them on face value but be aware that even the kindest dog can turn when cornered by an over enthusiatic child

Quoteunquote Fri 28-Feb-14 12:29:21

Anyone who does that to a dog is going to end up in trouble.

People are arrogant and do not bother to learn about a dogs needs (partly because they would rather not meet them), and that is entirely why they end up with problems.

NakedMum33And3rd Fri 28-Feb-14 12:53:53

I think any responsible dog owner is completely aware of this. We were so careful when introducing our dog to our DS. still to this day even though she is so placid I watch them together very carefully and intervene if I think DS is not treating her well. If anything happened it would be my fault not my dogs fault.
We will be just as vigilant when our next DC is born even though out dog has proven herself very trustworthy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now