Talk

Advanced search

To ask how blind people use the internet

(36 Posts)
Bearbehind Thu 27-Feb-14 20:25:32

Inspired by another thread where a blind lady with a guide dog posted about a problem she encountered which got me wondering how she could MN in the first place.

Of all the senses to lose, sight must be the worst and I genuinely wonder how they use the internet?

Felix90 Thu 27-Feb-14 20:26:04

Didn't the end of the post say her son was helping her?

BrianTheMole Thu 27-Feb-14 20:27:08

Speech software called 'jaws'.

Bearbehind Thu 27-Feb-14 20:28:05

But the post was about the fact her sons pushchair couldn't fit through the gap and had to be put in a sling so he wasn't of an age where he could read and write.

kelper Thu 27-Feb-14 20:28:13

I think her son was little.
I think the computer has voice recognition, and reads things to the blind person.

Dancergirl Thu 27-Feb-14 20:28:33

Screen reader

kelper Thu 27-Feb-14 20:28:35

X posted, sorry!

Bearbehind Thu 27-Feb-14 20:28:50

Wow brian, does it just read the words to you then? That's amazing.

Dancergirl Thu 27-Feb-14 20:29:37

OP, I work with visually impaired children and technology is very much part of their lives.

livelablove Thu 27-Feb-14 20:30:19

Yes I have wondered how they navigate the site.

FudgefaceMcZ Thu 27-Feb-14 20:30:28

Screen reader. Now maybe you can explain why you can't use google? :D

kelper Thu 27-Feb-14 20:30:49

Like a very good version of Siri. My dh has a speech software system on his computer because he is dyslexic and a rubbish speller. It takes time to learn and train the computer but it's amazing.
We used to walk puppies for guide dogs, and my mum had several blind friends, and they were just amazing

Bearbehind Thu 27-Feb-14 20:32:37

It's easier to ask on here fudge, and more informative.

How do you find what you are looking for in the first place though?

Twighlightsparkle Thu 27-Feb-14 20:39:53

Most registered blind people have limited vision, depending on the impairment they can use peripheral vision, magnifiers, enlarged text etc, or a speech text.

chateauferret Thu 27-Feb-14 20:45:59

I used to know a blind guy who did tech support. He was a wizard at the Linux command line. He used to help me with Linux stuff back in the days when Linux was seriously geeky, and could remember complex commands from a dozen lines back long after I had become mired in confusion and bewilderment.

Happily Linux no longer makes things that hard for sighted people smile

GimmeDaBoobehz Thu 27-Feb-14 20:48:13

There are a number of different speech software's that you can use. Jaws for Windows, Windows Eyes etc.

My partner who is completely blind uses Jaws. I just enlarge or use my monocle glasses which have a magnifier on them (partially sighted).

In fact my partner fixes computers and can take them apart. He's fixed my aunts laptop and made a laptop from scratch before.

Which thread was this? I am fascinated to see some of my fellow VI peeps.

GimmeDaBoobehz Thu 27-Feb-14 20:50:22

Oh and for those more specifically how it finds things I'm not sure in the fact that it's already worked out.

However, you use the up and down arrows and use some shortcuts to get to things. It will read out text and you can choose the speed and whether or not it acknowledges punctuation.

It's actually really good if your eyes are sore as I've used it myself when I have been very weary.

Bearbehind Thu 27-Feb-14 20:50:47

It was the one about parking on pavements gimme

GimmeDaBoobehz Thu 27-Feb-14 20:52:07

I mean it's already programmed in.

That made no sense whatsoever, sorry!

Any other questions about sight impairment I may be able to answer too as I remember I did a chat with year 5/6s about it a few years back.

GimmeDaBoobehz Thu 27-Feb-14 20:52:38

Was this a while ago?
I only ask because I did do one about that. But I have a girl, not a boy so maybe a different one?

Bearbehind Thu 27-Feb-14 20:55:02

It was today gimme.

I'm shit at links but here goes

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2009549-People-parking-on-the-pavement

RabbitPies Thu 27-Feb-14 20:57:12

This video, explains it,or at least some ofit. All of his videos are worth watching and very interesting,if you want to learn more about what it's like to be blind.

Bearbehind Thu 27-Feb-14 20:59:22

Thanks rabbit, I can't access it on this computer but will watch it tomorrow.

Dawndonnaagain Thu 27-Feb-14 20:59:27

Ds 2 has serious physical tics. He is unable to type his essays. He uses dragon speech software.

BrianTheMole Thu 27-Feb-14 21:05:47

How do you find what you are looking for in the first place though?
It reads the words out on the screen. You just tab around the screen and use the shortcut keys. And just search in the same way as anyone else done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now