Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if I can just turf over a gravel path?

(6 Posts)
Alex1984 Thu 27-Feb-14 13:34:36

Ok I am a total gardening novice. We moved into our new house about six months ago, in the back garden is a gravel path (quite large stones), I would like to take up these stones and turf this area (quite a large area 1m x 6m (round the edge of our garden). How should I go about doing this? Can I just lay turf over the top once I have removed the stones?
Should I try to do it myself or is it better to pay someone? I have a two year old so am keen to get this done ASAP so he can enjoy the garden.
Any advice greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

Offler Thu 27-Feb-14 13:40:15

I would take up the stones, give the underlying soil a good churn with a garden fork (or rotavate). Sprinkle on a thin layer of compost and lay turf. Water well for a couple of weeks.

Alex1984 Thu 27-Feb-14 13:44:25

Brilliant, thanks. Will give it a whirl and see what happens!

FrankUnderwood Thu 27-Feb-14 13:49:27

Just done this with grass seed - turf would be quicker!

magimedi Thu 27-Feb-14 13:55:08

I would turn it over, water it, leave it for three weeks & then kill the resulting weeds. (Counsel of perfection)

I would certainly lay weed control membrane before laying the turf - or you are going to have a very weedy lawn indeed!

www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=heavy+duty+membrane&tag=googhydr-21&index=outdoor&hvadid=23546281592&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6188768381650355070&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_48ogdtjof8_b

PigletJohn Thu 27-Feb-14 14:10:51

if the path is old or was done properly, it might be on a bed of hoggin or crushed stone, and will not hold water, so you will tend to get a yellow stripe in dry weather. See how far you have to dig to reach normal soil.

Large stones will tend to rise to the surface and break your mower.

btw a gravel path can be used in the wet as it will not be muddy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now