Talk

Advanced search

To be completely pissed off at British Gas for taking too much out of my account?!?

(7 Posts)
SnowBells Wed 26-Feb-14 20:55:42

We have moved recently, and I set up Direct Debit instructions for British Gas after receiving the first bill.

Person on the phone said that the cost should be around £40 a month, which is confirmed by the bill.

Today, I look on my account, and they took £117.00 from my account.

I logged onto my account online, and it turns out that £117.00 is the amount they set as a direct debit number. Even the freakin' online calculator says that I am "paying too much", and at the end of my plan, British Gas would likely owe me over £900. The online calculator suggests I pay £31.00 per month.

There IS a link saying "Adjust monthly payment"… it's just that when I do try changing this, it gives me an error message, saying there are problems changing my direct debit, and I should call them.

They are only open between 8am and 8pm - when I am very likely to be at work.

AIBU to be completely pissed off about British Gas? We are OK financially with this mistake, but I assume there are some households where this mistake can cause a LOT of problems!

I don't even know HOW they can make this mistake if even their little calculator says it's too much. For goodness sake, if this is a human error, maybe they should just replace their workers with that online computer!!!

RestingActress Wed 26-Feb-14 20:57:56

Talk to your bank, if an error is made you can ask either the company or your bank to invoke the direct debit guarantee which means that you should get an immediate refund.

www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/Pages/DirectDebitGuarantee.aspx

Anonymai Wed 26-Feb-14 20:59:37

If your account is in credit you can get some of that back yourself while you wait to speak to them.

mustbetimefortea Wed 26-Feb-14 21:03:52

This is why direct debit is only good for the company you are paying.

SnowBells Wed 26-Feb-14 21:10:48

mustbetimefortea

I agree, but it would stop things like us forgetting to pay - we are busy as it is. These automatic payments should just work. How can you get it sooo wrong???

mustbetimefortea Wed 26-Feb-14 22:28:39

I've suggested to companies that I set up a standing order for an agreed amount so that the mess you're dealing with doesn't occur but they aren't interested. Speaks volumes.

I have a calender marked up with the dates the various bills are due.

HoratiaDrelincourt Thu 27-Feb-14 09:24:46

yy to Direct Debit indemnity - get it back and transfer the agreed amount instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now