Talk

Advanced search

To be really worried that I've got a taxi driver sacked? LONG sorry.

(32 Posts)
BumpyGrindy Wed 26-Feb-14 19:20:47

I get a lot of mini cabs from a local firm. It's not ideal but as I can't drive due to medical issues it's very often a necessity.

I am known to many of the drivers and they're a great company. Tonight I ordered a taxi to take me, DD1 and DD2 to Brownies which is a mile and a half away...we ride our bikes in the summer but when it's so dark I prefer to cab it.

I (as usual) asked the driver to take us to the venue which is a church hall in a naice residential area and then once I have left DD1 in the hall, to take DD2 and I to some shops about a mile away...then DD2 and I often buy a few bits and walk home.

He asked where the hall was and I told him the street.

We got there and it was only as he pulled up that I realised he'd done what a few drivers have done which is to pull up at the side of the hall...not in the car park...but it's only a trot across some grass and then the hall is there....it's a bit of a sprawling site with trees and grass between church and hall....the other drivers have always let me see DD across the grass...then I return to the cab and carry on to the shops.

I said this to the cabby and he said "You don't even know the street!"

I said "Yes I do...I told it to you..this is it but you've missed the entrance..." and he said "No..no..." his English wasn't great but I said "Well I don't mind just seeing her into the hall and then coming back if you don't mind waiting for a minute?"

I had by this point got the DDs out and was half out myself and he LEAPED out and said "No! NO! YOU PAY! YOU PAY!

Like we were in the frigging Bronx rather than a small Cheshire village!

I said "Right.." and paid him but I was upset...A that he thought I was going to do a runner with two smallish kids and B that he shouted at me.

He then drove off leaving DD2 and I stuck in a vast residential area, in the dark. I saw DD1 into Brownies and then called the company to complain and ask for another cab.

They said "Right...we've had too many complaints about him he won't be driving for us again Caroline...he's done for now."

And I protested...I said "Oh well I didn't want him to be sacked...maybe just have some things explained to him..." and they said "No we can't lose business...he's had chances and this is it for him now."

sad So now I feel bad and also worried that he knows where I live!

WitchWay Wed 26-Feb-14 19:23:09

No, you did the right thing. Pretty unlikely he'd use his knowledge of your address to make mischief. If he ever confronts you then deny it - after all other have also complained.

phantomnamechanger Wed 26-Feb-14 19:26:25

they will no doubt be professional and NOT tell him about your specific complaint.
though TBH I think they ought NOT to have aid what they did to you, just apologised, said they would look into it, and sent the new cab for free as you are a regular customer.

you did the right thing, he's either not cut out for the job or needs more training or something, sounds like he has been given lots of chances and they don't want one driver getting them a bad name

phantomnamechanger Wed 26-Feb-14 19:27:37

if he ever confronts you REPORT HIM TO THE POLICE!

BumpyGrindy Wed 26-Feb-14 19:28:33

Phantom no you're right...they shouldn't have told me should they? Bit too much info offered there...but I suppose it's because they feel they "know me".

To be honest I dont' want to use the company again now as I feel embarrassed that all the drivers will know...

SpottyDottie Wed 26-Feb-14 19:28:36

He was in the wrong and it sounds like he has been several times. Although you probably feel bad, don't take it to heart.

WitchWay Wed 26-Feb-14 19:29:57

Yes phantom absolutely

flatbellyfella Wed 26-Feb-14 19:30:03

Don't feel sory for him & his bad attitude ,you can't treat customers like that.

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 26-Feb-14 19:30:34

He's done wrong, not you.

Have you inadvertently used your real name in your OP? If so you could report your post and get it removed for long term name association traceability reasons.

BumpyGrindy Wed 26-Feb-14 19:31:13

No...imagine if I were elderly or properly disabled! I'm already having a lot of stress and I think this has upset me more than it ordinarily would.

BumpyGrindy Wed 26-Feb-14 19:32:20

Mis no...it's not my real name...I changed from ProbablyCaroline earlier today as a joke in another thread...I still think of myself as Caroline on here! I'll be changing back soon. grin

WooWooOwl Wed 26-Feb-14 19:34:02

They were unprofessional telling you what they did, it should not be made your problem.

You did the right thing, and I agree you should ask MNHQ to remove your name!

teenagetantrums Wed 26-Feb-14 19:36:31

I used to work for a cab firm, we wouldn't have sacked one driver for a single complaint, don't worry there must have been multiple complaints he would have been warned already. They are right, people walk away from companies that provide bad service.

Pregnantberry Wed 26-Feb-14 19:40:37

Don't feel bad, you might not feel like he did enough to be sacked to you, but who knows what he has already done to other customers for the person you called to say that.

At least it gives us faith that complaints are sometimes acted upon!

BumpyGrindy Wed 26-Feb-14 19:41:01

Woo read my comment further up...it's not my real name! grin

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 26-Feb-14 19:43:44

You did the right thing.

It clearly isn't the first time it's happened.

diddl Wed 26-Feb-14 19:44:41

It sounds to me as if he didn't realise about you going on to the shops.

But if there have been other complaints, I guess it' s up to the cab co.

BumpyGrindy Wed 26-Feb-14 19:45:37

diddl I told him the moment I got in the cab...and it's a longer journey anyway...so that's good. More money.

SeaSickSal Wed 26-Feb-14 19:45:46

Nope, they said there were multiple complaints. You did the right thing.

Put it this way, if you worked for Sainsbury's or Tesco and you spoke to a customer like that you would be sacked for gross misconduct. I don't see why it should be different for a cabbie.

In fact, it's worse for the cabbie because you were alone and in a vulnerable situation. And he left you alone, what if your mobile had run out of battery or the event was cancelled for some reason? Being dumped there could have put you at serious risk with your health issues.

And he is damaging their to business. His job is to drive and to be personable and polite to customers to give a good impression of the business. If he is behaving like that he is not doing his job. Simple as that.

diddl Wed 26-Feb-14 20:00:42

Ah OK.
But then why did he drive off??

BackOnlyBriefly Wed 26-Feb-14 20:23:34

You did the right thing. I'm never on the side of people who try to get someone in trouble, but you were not doing that and it sounds like you have saved his future customers a lot of unpleasantness.

Don't give it another thought.

bumbleymummy Wed 26-Feb-14 20:26:08

Did you mean to include your name in your OP? Perhaps MN could edit it out for you?

Onesleeptillwembley Wed 26-Feb-14 20:31:54

More complaints? He got himself sacked. Don't give it another thought.

MisForMumNotMaid Wed 26-Feb-14 20:39:04

Nice to see we're all such a caring bunch. We're more concerned about your non name in the OP than a bad taxi driver who's made his own choices in life grin

MostlyMama Wed 26-Feb-14 20:43:39

I don't get all these 'you need to report your post' are we not allowed to say our names or something? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now