Talk

Advanced search

to be sick to death of baby talk?

(22 Posts)
harriet247 Wed 26-Feb-14 15:23:08

Met a friend for coffee today, we both have under 1's, do the majority of my circle.
It just seems that all I hear about is weaning, eczema, ff, bf, nappies, hours slept.. then stops in actual conversation such as 'look!shes wearing dungarees today!' Or snide looks at icandy pushers or grumbling about baby bellies.
It is boring me to tears and I miss my funny, interesting friends sad .
Is it just me??

WorraLiberty Wed 26-Feb-14 15:25:37

YANBU

I was quite lucky in that I was the first of my circle of friends to have a baby.

I avoided 'mummy friends' like the plague.

Even taking him to the weighing clinic used to bring me out in hives grin

WetDogLovesHubert Wed 26-Feb-14 15:26:15

Nope, same here. I miss actually having non-baby related things to talk about, and am looking forward to returning to work so I can stop being so boring!

mrsjay Wed 26-Feb-14 15:56:54

i was quite young when i had my first baby so none of my friends had babies I didnt really do the mummy friend thing I would rather stick pins in my eye than talk about nappy rash and whatnot, I think i was quite anitsoical or appeared to be when i took the baby dds to things i just couldnt care less what wee johnny did yesterday

Procrastinating Wed 26-Feb-14 16:03:52

YANBU.
I went it alone when I had my babies, for that reason.

I used to take the babies to the park every day and often heard groups of mothers having those conversations, on and on. Awful.

Out of interest why snide looks at icandy pushers?

PenguinsEatSpinach Wed 26-Feb-14 16:05:59

No, it isn't just you.

Seek out second time parents, they will be desperate to talk about something else!

BlueDesmarais Wed 26-Feb-14 16:26:43

People looked at me like I was mad when I said I wasn't going to go to baby groups or NCT. "But you'll make new friends to talk babies with!" they said, as if that would something desirable and not something I'd rather spork my eyes out than do.

My free time is when husband comes home and I go out to the cinema, sports, a cycle etc.

Also my iCandy's lasted 6 years, daily use, two kids, no stress about replacements or repairs, so if anyone wants to sneer at me sod 'em, I bet I've spent less than they have or will.

yangsun Wed 26-Feb-14 16:26:58

I don't get the candy pushers thing either. Please explain, Mumsnet makes me so paranoid, I was thinking of getting one when I wS pregnant with dd misses the point of he thread

HumphreyCobbler Wed 26-Feb-14 16:29:57

what happens when you introduce a new topic of conversation?

I have always had varied conversations at baby groups, sometimes talk about babies but lots of other topics too.

wintertimeisfun Wed 26-Feb-14 16:30:31

what are icandy pushers?

StarGazeyPond Wed 26-Feb-14 16:32:07

I get exactly the same thing, OP - except these are my friends/relations who are grandparents. That's ALL they talk about and are interested in.

FlippingWhatsername Wed 26-Feb-14 16:41:56

Have you considered being interested in awesome stuff and not having even one second for their air-headed trivial bullshit?

chocolatesolveseverything Wed 26-Feb-14 16:50:28

Yanbu, though I confess I'm a terrible baby talk person myself. I keep meaning to discuss other stuff, but the conversation always ends up steering into sleeping, weaning, etc shock .

I have an iCandy though. Have I been getting snide looks all this time and never noticed???

Pointeshoes Wed 26-Feb-14 16:53:30

My Icandy is lovely, what's that about?

LexieSinclair Wed 26-Feb-14 16:57:27

I also have an icandy and am curious to know who sneers.

But YANBU and IMO it doesn't get better. Certain friends with school age kids talk about reading bands, swimming lessons, SATS, headlice and little else. It makes me wonder how they managed before kids.

MrsDeVere Wed 26-Feb-14 17:00:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pollaidh Wed 26-Feb-14 17:02:07

I was at uni with mainly men, worked with mainly men and the only women I knew were like me - scientists etc. Very logical and evidence based, interested in sport, music, politics, but generally not fashion/gossip/babies. When it came to ML I had no idea how to chat to women about babies, clothes etc and still find it weird - I just bite my tongue on evidence-less discussions on teething necklaces etc. I get desperate for a discussion on science, politics or similar. I actually had a political discussion, albeit brief, yesterday with other mums. It was great.

harriet247 Wed 26-Feb-14 18:05:26

Oh nothing against icandy here- one friend really really jealous so gets a right face on her when she sees one around. So sad. Im lucky im a student too or i think i would genuinly be clawing my eyes out atm.

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Wed 26-Feb-14 18:12:14

harriet you poor thing, sorry to hear your new mummy friends are all so boring. Maybe stop meeting up with them if its causing you so much angst.

FWIW all the mums I met with up with where the same to begin with because, hey ho, babies were all we had in common, and were a nice and safe subject to talk about until eventually all sorts of things crept into the conversation

<shock>

HesterShaw Wed 26-Feb-14 18:15:21

Where do you live? Cornwall? <straw clutching>

I will be very happy to talk to you about non baby/child things, as it's all women of my age seem to talk about and I don't have any.

So. What shall we talk about? grin

DoJo Wed 26-Feb-14 18:19:46

YANBU, but it honestly is just your friends. I have a group of 'mum' friends who I met at post natal group, and we only talk about our children in terms of making arrangements and noticing when one has had a growth spurt. I also have friends who I have known since before we all had kids and we rarely talk about our children either, except to ask how they are etc or comment if they do anything particularly ghastly or adorable while we are together.

drnoitall Wed 26-Feb-14 18:26:04

YABU a lot of mums enjoy talking about their children.
I think a real dislike of baby talk is largely a revolt against your changing identity. When motherhood is new most mums want to share their experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now