Talk

Advanced search

Dental nightmare

(19 Posts)
Zepherial Wed 26-Feb-14 10:16:31

Apologies in advance but I wanted a quick answer.

I have god awful pain in my back tooth and have made an emergency appointment for today. I have taken everything in my medicine cabinet ( not all at the same time) and it still bloody hurts.

I accept I have to go to the dentist but, I am petrified. Can they give me a sedative or something? I don't know what to do, last time I went to the dentist I sat in the waiting room and had the dentist come out to look at me. That was years ago.

I know it is pathetic but I seriously have issues please advise.

madasa Wed 26-Feb-14 10:22:19

I'm not sure I am much help but wanted to answer you.

I think your dentist can only give you a sedative if they are set up to do so. I go to a special sedation clinic and there are lots of rules about having someone with you, not eating beforehand etc. etc.

Some dentists/GPs will prescribe a small dose of Diazepam to take beforehand but again you would need someone with you.

Are you going alone?

Can you take some headphones and music to block out the sounds?

I know you have to get through today but it might be a good idea to set yourself up with a dental surgery that understands your fears so that in the future you can book with them straight away.

If you are in the South East pm me if you like and I can recommend somewhere.

Good luck

SpottyDottie Wed 26-Feb-14 10:22:46

I have sedation at the dentist. What is likely to happen today is that the dentist will look, and then plan with you what to do about it. You may go away with antibiotics today. My sedation is planned. I'm not allowed to eat a couple of hours before, for example, and my dentist is trained to give it. Not every dentist does it so you may be referred on. Some posters have suggested Valium from your GP before you go. I'm not medically trained but can only tell you my experience. Mrsmorton is a dentist who posts on Mn.

Sedation is brilliant btw. I have no clue what is going on and that suits me fine! Good luck, Op. there will be options for you to get through treatment.

Goldencity1 Wed 26-Feb-14 10:25:38

I too am terrified of dentists! You are not alone!
Last time I had to go [raging toothache] was several years ago and I went privately and had intavenous valium. It was expensive, but quite frankly the only way I could cope. You might have to phone round to find one who does this as they need an anesthatist there as well.

The hardest part then is sitting in the chair, and having the injection. After that you are just floating and they could saw your leg off and you wouldn't care! You need someone to go with you and stay with you at home afterwards because you really are out of it for quite a while.

I know I should be able to do it, after having twins I should be able to cope, but I can't.

Zepherial Wed 26-Feb-14 10:27:33

Oh fuck, I am going on my own.

So will they just check me over then and not do any treatment?

I will definitely look into a practice to help in future.

I am just very scared about today.

I am in Kent by the way.

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 26-Feb-14 10:28:59

You can have sedation for treatment. I treat patients under sedation. If your dentist doesn't do it, she can refer you to someone who does

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 26-Feb-14 10:29:45

Where in kent are you?

badtime Wed 26-Feb-14 10:31:31

They can't force you to accept treatment, so if you explain what you have said here, they will probably just do a check up and either make an appointment for sedation or refer you to somewhere they can do it.

madasa Wed 26-Feb-14 10:49:21

Have sent you a pm Zepherial

FrimpongDench Wed 26-Feb-14 10:50:55

A friend of mine had vicious toothache, hadn't slept in days - went to the dentist and had a local anaesthetic injection while he drilled etc. She fell asleep grin Perhaps it won't be as bad as you think?

AWUGAAWUGAlookoutitsaMAN Wed 26-Feb-14 11:40:46

I have one where just as I'm about to brush my teeth, the bristles of my toothbrush turn into tendrils of blinding, burningly cold white light, searching hither and thither, and I try to stop it but the toothbrush keeps moving towards my mouth, and I grab it with both hands and it still keeps coming inexorably, so I brace my feet against a wall/doorframe and the doorframe rips out and the glowing ice terror star toothbrush keeps moving, until I can't stop it, it goes into my mouth which uncontrollably snaps shut.

The toothbrush turns into a neutron star in my mouth and my head expands with it until it is giant and floating through space and I am floating outside it. At that moment, a giant hatch or doorway opens in the top of my head with a sllithering, alien tearing moment...

... and out pops a giant slice of toast lined around the outside like a pie crust, but with sharp teeth that revolve. The giant slice of toast slowly saws through the neck of my new floating self, then starts consuming the universe, which starts contracting towards the giant toothed space toast and implodes with first a very loud whump, then the sound of a giant bell, whereupon a vast, booming, but suprisingly relaxed voice echoes across the terrifying inifinite screaming void: "Last stop, all change please."

That's my dental nightmare. You are not alone.

Zepherial Wed 26-Feb-14 12:32:07

Just thought I would update,

So the guy I saw was sort of good he said he could see I was nervous and had a quick look. However he made me even more nervous because he kept saying "oh this is bad, this is really bad" over and over.

Fucking hell I know it's bad I am a shit patient and have not been to the dentist for years.

So shitty news is my wisdom teeth are fucked and I need one taken out plus a filling. He also said the bottom ones were not looking too good either.

Plus I need a filling.

He said I could try and save my upper back molar with root canal or leave it and have that taken out too. Will I miss it? I have no wisdom tooth on that side so will be missing a tooth.

On the plus side I have been given a referral to a clinic for sedation. But, 4 bloody weeks, luckily I rang them and the guy was really nice he took my details and said he would see what he could do and put me on the cancellation list. I also have antibiotic but am still in shit loads of pain.

Sorry long, so burning question is do I have root canal or just have it out along with my wisdom tooth?

On another note I have two essays due tomorrow..........aaaaaaahhhhhhh.

Zepherial Wed 26-Feb-14 12:35:47

So about the spelling, I also had a really good cry. What an idiot.

NoodleOodle Wed 26-Feb-14 12:37:14

I'd go for the root canal, might as well try to save it. If it fails, they'll just whip it out later, pretty painlessly.

NoodleOodle Wed 26-Feb-14 12:37:54

Also, the antibiotics will help with the pain better than pain killers, once the infection's down you'll feel much better.

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 26-Feb-14 12:38:01

If they are offering you root canal then have it. You are much better off to try to save teeth than lose them. I know as a nervous patient you might think that extractions are the end of your problems but too many spaces in your mouth can be the beginning (teeth drifting, over erupting, stronger forces placed on remaining teeth, dentures can be very hard to get used to etc)

You are very likely to be seen at the sedation clinic sooner than 4 weeks if you are on a cancellation list. They usually have a very high cancellation rate and huge amounts of money are lost due to this. So they do their best to accommodate the people who want those appts.

madasa Wed 26-Feb-14 12:46:59

I have just had root canal treatment to save a tooth and I am terrified of the dentist. It took three visits (I was having my crown replaced) I had sedation and it was ok. I'm glad I had it done.

Zepherial Wed 26-Feb-14 13:46:31

So the vote is for root canal, I was of the thinking have it out, problem sorted. NoArmani that is a good point, I will see what they say after the X-rays.

It is good to know about the cancellation, I need although don't want it sooner rather then later.

Thanks for the replies, I am currently trying to assemble my 6000 bloody word essay. This is going to bit shit, I can't concentrate properly.

Zepherial Wed 26-Feb-14 13:47:36

Good to know about the wonderful sedation, I am definitely going down that route.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now