Talk

Advanced search

to feel gutted and annoyed

(7 Posts)
Loopylala7 Tue 25-Feb-14 19:37:48

We moved into a new build property this week, I'm 8 months pregnant and have a toddler. The main reason for the move is school catchment as the school we were in the catchment for had a bad reputation and a poor report. We literally have moved a mile up the road as we took advice from our local council that the new house was in catchment for a specific school. It is the closest school. It's advertised as being the closest by multiple estate agents. Today we found out that it is infact not in catchment as we were originally informed. The school our DC is in catchment for really isn't great and further away. We have pushed ourselves with the mortgage and now feel we were given bad advice and cannot move and feel the school application process fast approaching. It was the education officer for the area who told us this development was under that school. What would you do?

QOD Tue 25-Feb-14 19:39:09

Cry

And then write to him?

Ifcatshadthumbs Tue 25-Feb-14 19:42:43

Oh blimey what a nightmare! Estate agents are fuckers for this sort of thing. A new development next to ours is advertising it's houses as being on the doorstep of a popular and high achieving high school. It forgets to mention it's an all boys private school.

Waltonswatcher1 Tue 25-Feb-14 19:43:25

children have got into our school . Parents took legal advice . It cost five hundred.
Keep cheerful though op as every good school can go downhill instantly with a change of head- and vice versa .
Are you sure the school is really that bad? How are you judging this ?
I hope you also increased the size if house etc ,so the move wasn't just for the school .

MyNameIsKenAdams Tue 25-Feb-14 19:44:33

Tbh catchment areas can change year on year. With a toddler, even if this house was in the right catchment area now there is no guarantee that it would be by the time he is ready to go to school

OrangeMochaFrappucino Tue 25-Feb-14 19:49:07

There is a massive new build development going ahead nearer to my son's pre-school than we are so I have the opposite worry - that people moving in there will push us out of catchment and we will have to send him to a different school after 18 months in the attached pre-school as they make it clear that attending the pre-school gives you no claim on a Reception place. I think these things can just change any time and there are no guarantees. It's really stressful and difficult.

HadABadDay2014 Tue 25-Feb-14 20:04:08

I wouldn't have push myself into a mortgage.

I think education is important, but having having money to live life is more important.

I am in a mind that those who want to learn will.

DD school is on a council estate, just had the eystyn report ( ofstead for wales) they have just received the highest grade in wales.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now