Talk

Advanced search

To worry re meningitis c vaccination dd

(12 Posts)
sugar4eva Tue 25-Feb-14 15:59:12

Note from school asking permission for above . I don't know anything about this vaccination, which strains it nay protect from and if anyone has had any pribkematic side effects? Anyone any experience of this or know of any web sites I could use as research ? Will there be a neutral web site or likely to be opposite factions similar to m m r type debates etc?

MarianneEnjolras Tue 25-Feb-14 16:01:07

Can't you just google it?

TheScience Tue 25-Feb-14 16:03:51

Does the NHS website have information?

sugar4eva Tue 25-Feb-14 16:06:08

Yes to both but I'm not sure that the info would be neutral .

Ledare Tue 25-Feb-14 16:07:09

I wouldn't mind reading a discussion about this either. That's part of the reason I come to a talk forum.

MarianneEnjolras Tue 25-Feb-14 16:09:21

But it's a place to start. And tbh meningitis is devastating so any argument against the vaccination would have to be incredibly strong IMO.

How old are you? I had the meningitis c vaccine when I was in school, you may have had it too.

TheScience Tue 25-Feb-14 16:10:50

What do you mean by neutral? What vested interest does the NHS have beyond reducing the prevalence of an illness?

specialsubject Tue 25-Feb-14 16:11:36

it's not an evil overlord conspiracy to inject children with nasty substances.

NHS website answers your questions.

Loopylu84 Tue 25-Feb-14 16:11:56

You will find that the NHS website will give you the info regarding side effects and the risk from the side effects versus the risk from your child catching meningitis. They are not out to trick you.

This particular vaccination is not new, it's been given for many years now and protects against Men C-hence the name. It used to be given only in infancy, however one of the doses in infancy has now been discontinued and moved to teenagers in order to offer more effective protection.

crazykat Tue 25-Feb-14 16:20:37

I had it when I was at school as did almost everyone else in my year and I've not heard of any side effects (apart from a sore arm for a day or two).

All my DCs will be having it, there would have to be a very good argument against it to change my mind. My DH had viral meningitis which is nowhere bear as bad as meningitis C and it was awful. He was in so much pain and spent a week in hospital on antibiotic and painkillers through an iv. I wouldn't want to see my DCs go through that.

For me vaccinations to reduce the risk of serious illness are worth the very small risk of side effects.

Ledare Tue 25-Feb-14 16:24:10

OP I have a vaccine-damaged child and DD will be having hers if that helps? Meningitis is bloody scary.

Mooycow Tue 25-Feb-14 16:24:52

Its the Men-C vaccine , Just a booster Your child will have had it before.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: