Talk

Advanced search

aibu to not want to pay for school reading book lost in school

(20 Posts)
exmrs Tue 25-Feb-14 15:52:12

As above last day of term son comes home no reading book and no clear folder which all his stuff goes in but he had it in the morning and school want me to pay. Would you pay if it's lost in school and not necessarily lost ny my son?

WorraLiberty Tue 25-Feb-14 15:53:20

How old is he?

I'd certainly want to be sure the school staff have hunted high and low for it first.

DaenerysTargaryensDragonBaby Tue 25-Feb-14 15:53:55

It is his book, and his folder. His responsibility.

What does he say happened to it?

exmrs Tue 25-Feb-14 15:54:15

Year 2 just turned 7

exmrs Tue 25-Feb-14 15:55:29

He says stuff always ends up on the floor of each other's pegs

GoldenBeagle Tue 25-Feb-14 15:56:07

How do you know he didn't lose it on the way to school?

Either way, since he had responsibility for it, and he lost it, I think you should pay. Has he looked in lost property?

DaenerysTargaryensDragonBaby Tue 25-Feb-14 15:56:29

Then he/you should have looked there.

Are they all so careless with their things? How are their books ending up on the floor?

exmrs Tue 25-Feb-14 16:00:09

He definitely had it in the morning as I queue up in morning and saw him go in,what's weird is that his maths book and reading diary has been taken out leading me to believe it's been misplaced and the book was changed

Spatsky Tue 25-Feb-14 16:00:31

If it is def on school premises as you say then no need to be paid for, they just need to find it.

Stinklebell Tue 25-Feb-14 16:02:07

I think these things just happen in the hustle and bustle of school.

My DD lost her reading book last year - we have a ziplock bag with her book and homework diary. Every morning the they're supposed to put them in a tray that's kept on bookcase ready to change later on. DD was convinced she handed it in, I turned the house out and couldn't find it anywhere at home. It turned up when they moved some furniture around during the Christmas holidays, obviously accidentally knocked down the back in the general hubbub of 30 children milling around.

Has he had a good look around the classroom?

HadABadDay2014 Tue 25-Feb-14 16:03:42

Go in a help him find it.

I do this with lost jumpers/ cardigans. Last time looking in lost property there was about 20 odd coats, 25 odd jumpers/cardigans and football boots.

exmrs Tue 25-Feb-14 16:04:37

Yes he has looked, don't think the tteachers have looked as they tell the children to go and look

exmrs Tue 25-Feb-14 16:06:34

The teachers don't really allow you in the classroom for anything but I will insist I think

HadABadDay2014 Tue 25-Feb-14 16:08:20

I wouldn't be paying until I looked myself, I have to wait till the end of the day when all the children have gone. But I am prepared to do it as I don't have an unlimited amount of money to keep replacing jumpers.

Stinklebell Tue 25-Feb-14 16:11:45

It could be anywhere. The teacher could have misplaced it, a TA could have read with him and it got caught up with some other books, another child could have picked it up by mistake, anything

Insist on going in and having a proper look. If you're sure he took it in, it's got to be there somewhere

systemsmalfunction Tue 25-Feb-14 16:16:37

I wouldn't pay. It's in school along with other missing items.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Tue 25-Feb-14 16:32:47

If it was lost in school then it's on the school's watch. There should be no question of you paying for it.

Scrounger Tue 25-Feb-14 17:04:34

Part of growing up is looking after your own things and taking responsibility for them. Go in and help him look for it. Whilst I am unsure about you having to pay for it, I don't think that teachers should be expected to look for everything that a child loses. They should have proper processes so that a child knows where to put their water, bag, books and coats etc. Given that there are 30 children in a class who could all lose something in a day I would prefer that they are teaching rather than spending their time looking for lost items.

Suttonmum1 Tue 25-Feb-14 17:14:26

Do not pay. Absurd. Does your school ask for any sort of parental contribution each year? If so stop paying that as well in protest. He is 7. Other 7 year olds will knock his stuff over without thinking. It's probably one of the other 29 who lost it, not him.

PS Good chance they expect you to produce a book day costume next week too.

deakymom Tue 25-Feb-14 23:35:33

sorry they don't pay when clothing shoes etc go missing at school why should you pay for the book which is in school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now