Talk

Advanced search

To take my toddler back to the docs after going yesterday?

(19 Posts)
MillyStar Tue 25-Feb-14 13:03:28

DD is 22 months

Went to bed on Sunday with conjunctivitis and a bit of a cough so I took her to see the nurse yesterday, she have me drops for her eyes and checked her throat and chest and ears. Said it was viral and go give her calpol etc

Anyway she's a lot worse today, coughing all the time and wrenching at the end, she looks really ill aswell, she kept waking up last night coughing and choking so she slept in my bed as I was frightened

I'm not sure whether to take her back later and see a doc to do the check again, am I being neurotic or would you go?

Chrysanthemum5 Tue 25-Feb-14 13:08:44

I'd go back to get a GP to look at her today - if she is coughing so hard she may need some form of cough syrup just to soother her throat.

quietbatperson Tue 25-Feb-14 13:09:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Tue 25-Feb-14 13:09:37

I probably wouldn't but you have to go with your own gut.

Coughing/retching can sound awful and quite scary, but it's normally just the mucus shifting from their chests.

Have you tried propping her up with lots of pillows, so she's almost sleeping upright? That sometimes helps.

CoolaSchmoola Tue 25-Feb-14 13:10:19

There is a virus doing the rounds which has conjunctivitis, a terrible cough and cold, temp and general 'poorliness' as it's main symptoms.

Virtually every child under four that I know has had it, including my own. It sounds like your dd has it too, which is what the nurse said.

But, ywnbu to take your dd again today, she's little and if you are concerned it's better to get her checked, but don't be surprised if you come out after being told 'viral, Calpol'.

Hope she's better soon.

FelineLou Tue 25-Feb-14 13:10:36

You need to go with your own feelings here. I would go and get a doctor's opinion. LOs get ill very quickly sometime. Phone up and ask for more advice but better safe ....
I hope its nothing too serious.

WorraLiberty Tue 25-Feb-14 13:11:23

Actually Medised was always a godsend when mine were little and really helped with the coughing/runny nose.

But I believe they've changed the age now to 2yrs or something?

Anonymai Tue 25-Feb-14 13:15:20

I would take her back if you feel you want her seen.

FudgefaceMcZ Tue 25-Feb-14 13:16:51

I probably wouldn't go again so soon now (may have done with my first, and I don't think the GP would be cross if you did, so go if it will reassure you). Can you maybe try first propping her up with lots of cushions/pillows and lots of vick, plus maybe sit her in the bathroom with the shower on hot (to create steam). It is really nasty for them being so bunged up when they can't do much about it, but unfortunately GP probably can't do much either. Also maybe ice lollies for throat swelling?

TBH I never found the pillows thing worked, as DDs kept rolling off once they were asleep- I managed propping them up to sleep in the buggy a couple times though, and also sleeping on my chest so I could hold them upright. Getting some sleep will help. Poor thing and poor you.

Artandco Tue 25-Feb-14 13:19:18

Take back if you feel it's needed

Meanwhile, try taking her into bathroom and turning on shower/ bath really hot so the room steams up. It will help her breath easier as all the moisture will get in her nose/ throat. Try a few times a day if you can. Just sit on the toilet lid with her in lap for a while, with a drink if she will have

QueenofKelsingra Tue 25-Feb-14 13:19:25

we all have this virus too. obviously if you feel you want to see the GP again then absolutely take her back however I will say that I haven't taken any of mine to the GP (my DTs are 21m, so same as your DD near enough). Plenty of calprofen (it lasts longer than calpol), cough syrup for the cough and lots of fluids and plenty of rest. DS1 (4) is out the other side of it and DTs are slightly better today.

I know it feels so hard when they are coughing so much and you feel so helpless but just giving lots of comfort is the best thing you can do.

I will emphasise that you know your own child best. if YOU feel that she needs to be seen again, absolutely take her.

JackNoneReacher Tue 25-Feb-14 13:20:16

Has she got a temperature or a rash? Drinking? Weeing?

MillyStar Tue 25-Feb-14 13:21:23

I think I might wait until tomorrow then and see how she is

I'm just worried as she's never had it this bad before she if my first and I have anxiety and am a massive worrier anyway!

Thanks for the replies

TheGreatHunt Tue 25-Feb-14 13:22:50

My dd and ds have had similar. As have I! I would keep a close eye on her today but not take her back unless she struggles to breath. Mine always cough worse at night so I make sure their room is vacuumed every day and use a wet cloth to dust every nook and cranny (when they have coughs - I'm a bit more lax when They're well!)

QueenofKelsingra Tue 25-Feb-14 13:23:11

milly I generally find that it is best to put your mind at rest however you can. I know it is scary when they are really ill and if it will make you relax to see the doctor, then take her. If you are going to be stressed and nervous and panicked (which your DD will sense and will get more worked up herself) then take her back to reassure yourself that she is ok.

ADishBestEatenCold Tue 25-Feb-14 13:28:13

What is she like today, MillyStar? Everything seems so much worse at night, so I think their daytime response is a good indicator.

Is she mostly 'getting on with her day' (albeit, coughing as well), or is she lethargic, prone, sleepy, in bed? Is she drinking plenty, passing urine normally, and does she have any appetite? What is her temperature?

I hope she's feeling more herself and having a better day.

MillyStar Tue 25-Feb-14 13:36:49

She is playing and laughing at things but every so often she'll have a lie down and can't be bothered

She's had her usual nap but 1.5hrs earlier because she was so tired

Drinking and weeing and she does have some Appetite but not as much as usual

Temp is ok as she's had calpol

I think the cough has just frightened me as I've never heard it before so it's heartbreaking

She's currently smacking my arm now!

Thanks for all of your replies I feel a lot better now

JackNoneReacher Tue 25-Feb-14 22:06:34

Glad to hear she sounds quite bright.

I find vicks really good for coughs. Hope she has a good night.

JosieMcDozie Tue 25-Feb-14 22:25:18

It's always puzzled me that doctors can tell you something is viral without taking swabs? Surely that's not possible??

Anyway blush I'd second hot shower and childrens Vicks or Albas oil. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now