Talk

Advanced search

...to go to the supermarket when ill?

(20 Posts)
QueenofKelsingra Tue 25-Feb-14 10:26:17

I am ill. Very very bad cold and cough, I look very green and clammy. all of the family has it. DH's has turned to flu and he is in bed. DS1 is also in bed. DTs are clearly ill looking but seem ok-ish in themselves when dosed up on calprofen. it has been like this for nearly a week. we have run out of calprofen/paracetamol/lemsip as well as all fresh food, bread and low on milk. so I went to the supermarket with DTs (leaving DS1 and DH in bed). DTs in trolley so away from the food, I made sure to avoid coughing near the food etc. In the 10 mins I was in there I had 3 people huffing and making snide 'thanks for sharing your germs with everyone' and 'those poor little ones should be in bed, not dragged out shopping'.

AIBU to think that sometimes, no matter how ill, it is necessary to go out and get supplies?? and that as they have no idea that I had been avoiding going out as long as possible they should keep their unhelpful opinions to themselves? or should I have stayed at home with no medication or food??

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 25-Feb-14 10:29:26

YANBU, if you need to go out and buy food and medicine then you have to do it. You can't stay confined to your house just because you have a cold, you were as quick as possible and it's not like you have plague or something shock

PumpkinPie2013 Tue 25-Feb-14 10:29:55

YANBU sometimes these things are just unavoidable.

ratqueen Tue 25-Feb-14 10:29:58

Of course you needed to go out! Who was going to do it for you? Yanbu imo.

mymiraclebubba Tue 25-Feb-14 10:31:18

I get it a lot as o have a permanent cough due to asthma so you have my sympathy on that front however if everyone is that I'll perhaps ordering online would have been better?

crazykat Tue 25-Feb-14 10:44:53

Sometimes its unavoidable and you have to go out.

IMO if its cough/cold type bug then while not ideal it's fine. I have 3 DCs I have to take to school even if I'm ill. They can't have a week off because mummy has a cold.

If it was flu or a d&v toe bug then it would be unreasonable to go out.

QueenofKelsingra Tue 25-Feb-14 10:53:21

phew, good to know I wasn't being totally mad by going out!

mymiracle i stupidly assumed i would improve quicker than i have and we have run completely out of medicine for the DC and they cant wait for tomorrow for a delivery.

crazy if it was D&V or flu the chance of me leaving the vicinity of the bathroom would be slim to none!

Jinty64 Tue 25-Feb-14 10:54:58

I did my last online Asda shop yesterday. It arrived 35 minutes before the slot time and just as I was popping ds1 and his girlfriend to the bus station well, obviously I couldn't, there was an Asda van blocking my car in. There were 11 ridiculous substitutions. It's no use if you are relying on certain things. Ordering calprofen would likely get you indigestion remedies! I phoned the help line and got no joy just someone with an accent that was difficult to understand telling me I could give them back to the driver. I know that, but if I gave them all back we wouldn't have anything left to eat. I might e-mail them later.

hootloop Tue 25-Feb-14 10:55:37

My DS is off school ill, he had to come to tesco with me today I had to get food and there were no delivery slots left.
I did the fastest emergency shop I I could just getting enough for 2 days. Sometimes needs must.

mrsjay Tue 25-Feb-14 10:56:22

yanbu of course you are not if you need to go to the shops you need to go out to the shops you really cant isolate every single illness and virus anyway

falulahthecat Tue 25-Feb-14 10:57:11

Well, YANBasU as a woman I saw coughing all over the veg (no hand over mouth) women then sayd "Jean! I didn't know you were out of hospital" she then replies "Well, the doctor did say I should be around people but I can't trust him (points at DH) with the shopping can I!"

hmm

falulahthecat Tue 25-Feb-14 10:57:25

*woman then says

falulahthecat Tue 25-Feb-14 10:57:46

*shouldn't be - argh

BeaWheesht Tue 25-Feb-14 10:59:40

Yanbu. It's far from ideal but what can you do?

Are you being sarcastic about your dh? His cant have turned to flu unless it is flu.

We were all like this a few years ago and it was hell so you have my sympathy. Get well soon.

MrsJohnHarrison Tue 25-Feb-14 11:03:29

I think a bit of both. I work in a supermarket and hate it when customers are full of the cold or other bug. I'm on the checkouts, so will almost inevitably pick up the bug and, either get ill myself or pass it on to at least one of the DCs or DH.
That said, you need essentials and of there's no one you could ask to pick up a few bits, of course you need to go out.

mymiraclebubba Tue 25-Feb-14 11:10:13

Sorry missed the bit about medicine being needed.

QueenofKelsingra Tue 25-Feb-14 11:29:19

jinty yes i have had several run ins with the 'helpful' substitutions!!

bea no, not sarcastic, DH has full body shivers, aches, dizziness and cannot physically get out of bed.

mrsjohn i realise that must be frustrating. but i was as carful as i could be, not breathing over people or food! and my mum who would usually help has it too!

LouiseSmith Tue 25-Feb-14 11:32:18

Shopping online is okay, but you have to wait for delievry. Sonetimes you need things, YANBU x

pussycatdoll Tue 25-Feb-14 11:36:57

I'd have done an online delivery last night to be delivered today
If anything hadn't turned up I'd have nipped out & left dcs with dh
When I get ill no dh around to look after kids so i just manage

Anonymai Tue 25-Feb-14 11:58:54

Yabu. This is what online shopping is for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now