Talk

Advanced search

to think the Daily Mail would never issue a front page apology if it had done something really bad / made a mistake

(10 Posts)
itshardthinkingofanickname Tue 25-Feb-14 09:50:28

They might bury an apology somewhere in the paper or online. But I don't think they would ever admit on a front page that their story was not correct and their insinuations were wrong and actually harmful to a person.

This is not about Harriet Harman - although that's part of it. All the stories the DM have fabricated, exaggerated or got wrong which have caused real harm to real people and groups. That have stirred the fans of hate.

All to sell papers.

DustyBaubles Tue 25-Feb-14 09:53:51

Probably the only reasons a paper will print a full/front page apology is if they have been ordered to (unlikely) or they are in desperate PR straits (like the News of the World).

Otherwise, they will just regard things as 'yesterday's news'.

They are really only concerned with profit margins.

Nancy66 Tue 25-Feb-14 09:56:19

I can only think of one front page apology - and that was The Sun's to Elton. A front page is what sells a newspaper and an apology won't do that.

The point is they do apologise though

itshardthinkingofanickname Tue 25-Feb-14 09:58:16

I think the idea that the apology size has to reflect how much coverage they gave to a story is a good one.

The apologies I've seen have been hidden away - despite the massive coverage they give to a story and the real damage they do to a person.

RamblingRosieLee Tue 25-Feb-14 10:01:54

Has any paper given a front page apology?

They all make mistakes.

itshardthinkingofanickname Tue 25-Feb-14 10:03:02

There's mistakes and there's prolonged smear campaigns / stirring up of hatred and completely getting things wrong which do real damage.

itshardthinkingofanickname Tue 25-Feb-14 10:03:38

Did the Sun ever apologise for what is said about Liverpool fans?

Nancy66 Tue 25-Feb-14 10:10:11

Yes they did

Bragadocia Tue 25-Feb-14 10:12:41

Press apologies should comprise equal column inches and prominence as the original offending article/s.

itshardthinkingofanickname Tue 25-Feb-14 10:19:38

I could write a massive apology for the DM for all the groups it's criticised and hurt over the years.

Single mums
Overweight people
Immigrants
Working mums
Transsexuals
Celebrities who they think are the wrong size
People on benefits

etc

I would love to see that apology.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now