Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to go for lunch on my own on my birthday?

(11 Posts)
Cucumberscarecrow Tue 25-Feb-14 07:08:56

It is my birthday next week. I have been under a lot of stress recently and am feeling very jaded. As a birthday treat, I am leaving my kids in nursery and taking a half day off work. My DH wants to join me for lunch but I would rather have a half day when I have no one else to talk to or think about.

AIBU and will I look very sad eating on my own? I am planning to go to a proper restaurant (not remotely posh but not a cafe).

Ragwort Tue 25-Feb-14 07:10:23

That's exactly how I like to celebrate my birthday, I thoroughly enjoy going out on my own smile.

pussycatdoll Tue 25-Feb-14 07:12:43

Yanbu

But I can see why your dh would want to spoil you on your birthday

Could you take the whole day - go to a cafe on your own & shopping in the morning & then meet him for lunch ?

Cucumberscarecrow Tue 25-Feb-14 07:14:32

No Pussy, my DS starts school this year so all my annual leave is allocated already for school holidays and proper holidays.

JeanSeberg Tue 25-Feb-14 07:19:45

Can you have dinner together in the evening or get a babysitter at weekend?

It's your birthday not his though!

ExcuseTypos Tue 25-Feb-14 07:21:06

Well it's your birthday, so you should do what you like.

But I can understand that your dh would feel a
upset at bring told he can't join you. I think many partners would feel upset tbh.

ExcuseTypos Tue 25-Feb-14 07:23:19

Oh that's a good idea Jean. If you cant get a baby sitter tell him he can make you a nice candle lit dinner for the evening.

cathpip Tue 25-Feb-14 07:24:18

I did this a few months ago after a large argument with dh about not getting any me time, he was saying that he didn't either, this was 5 days after he had got back from a lads ski holiday [hmmm]. I took the whole day and went clothes shopping and had the longest leisurely lunch ever with just me and a paper in Betty's (posh tea room in North Yorkshire), no one batted an eyelid, it was utter heaven!

ZeroSomeGameThingy Tue 25-Feb-14 07:31:08

I think my very best birthdays have been the ones where I've taken myself off to a hotel or retreat in either a new city or a well loved place I hadn't yet had the chance to enjoy fully. Usually for at least a couple of days.

Your problem, I surmise, is how to do this when someone else wants to join you. Is your DH part of the stress or a blameless bystander? If the latter, could you perhaps suggest something you could do together as your "real" birthday treat? If the former - just go.

You don't sound as if you get much time to yourself.... Hope you have a wonderful, peaceful birthday.

Cucumberscarecrow Tue 25-Feb-14 07:43:22

Thanks Zero. My DH is part of the problem, albeit blamelessly. He broke his leg recently so instead of sharing the childcare with him, I have been doing all the childcare, husband-care and a near full-time high stress job. I have been dutiful and sympathetic but just want a half day off away from all my charges.

sillymillyb Tue 25-Feb-14 07:57:26

Do it! Tell him you'd love a romantic evening meal and he's in charge of spoiling you on that part of the evening. Then have a lovely lunch and some shopping all on your tod. Enjoy and happy birthday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now