Talk

Advanced search

In not sure...

(9 Posts)
Racehorse3007 Tue 25-Feb-14 01:09:17

I'm new here so have no idea if I'm posting this in the right section (please don't crucify me if I'm not!)
Here's the situation, please give me honest opinions/feedback/advice
I'm a student nurse atm and am going to qualify in June, I'm in a long term long distance relationship with my bf and my parents live about an hour and a half away in the south west. I really want to train to be a health visitor and have got an interview for a place in Hull. My mum is really worried about this, but I don't really know why. I think it's maybe because I have mild learning difficulties, borderline Aspergers, dsylexia, dyspraxia and (relatively newly diagnosed -last March) epilepsy. But I haven't lived at home since I was 17 and I'm 23 now! She seems to think hull is unsafe, whereas I think all places have unsafe areas to them!
Anyone have any suggestions how I can allay her worries?!

CorusKate Tue 25-Feb-14 01:16:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fanjango Tue 25-Feb-14 01:16:55

I know very little about hull but have you tried searching for groups for people with learning disabilities in the area? If you had a support group you could mention to her would that allay her worries'?

Fanjango Tue 25-Feb-14 01:18:35

Sorry, didn't mean that to sound like you actually needed a support group, just if your mum knows the help is there she may relax a bit smile

Racehorse3007 Tue 25-Feb-14 01:25:38

I should of added there somewhere that the bf is in Scotland so hull would be closer than now! I don't need all that much support, I literally just have a note taker for lectures, I think it's more she's worried about the area and it being so far away from her (four hours instead of an hour and a half!)

holidaysarenice Tue 25-Feb-14 01:55:13

Could you do a weekend in hull together to explore?

Ultimately it is your life not hers.

skittycat Tue 25-Feb-14 06:30:34

Hull gets a lot of bad press. As you say, there are bad areas to it (as there is every city) but they are improving rapidly and if you are a student I would presume you'd want to live in the studenty areas (which are no where near the 'bad' bits).

Visit for a day, see what you think. And it's your choice ultimately what you do with your life.

And yes, I live in hull.

MammaTJ Tue 25-Feb-14 06:39:33

As a first year student nurse, all I can say is if you have got as far as that in your training, then you will cope with the next stage in your career/ training!

Well done on getting so far and good luck in the future.

-not much help in what to say to your mum though--

Thumbwitch Tue 25-Feb-14 06:50:11

I think you and your Mum should visit Hull together, work out where is a good place for you to stay and that should help. Fear of the unknown often makes things seem worse than they really are, so if you make it seem like she's having some input into where you live and so on, it will help her to feel a bit better about it. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now